Solved

Does upgrading a mobo require a clean install?

I just bought a new SSD and had to do a fresh install to fix various problems. I really really do not want to have to do that again.
Anyways I just bought a z68 mobo and am upgrading from an i7 920 socket 1336. Will I need to do a fresh install of all my software?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about does upgrading mobo require clean install
  1. It is highly recommended as to avoid possible problems regarding precious drivers/configurations. You could just put the new stuff in and give it a go tho
  2. Best answer
    in my experience with intel motherboard its almost always needs fresh install.
    Even if it could works for a moment it will run into some persistent problems (well you know bsod and such) eventually.
  3. I did a clean install, I am just having problems with my drivers now. I downloaded most of the drivers from the asus website I just don't know what to do with them now. They are zip files. I have started a new thread here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/315169-30-what-mobo-drivers-asus-gene
  4. Best answer selected by monkeymonk.
  5. Sometimes it works without any issue (in Win7), but sometimes it will not even boot.

Than if u don't have Retail windows, than u need a new windows too.

That is -> if u have an OEM version.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards SSD Clean Install