Sign in with
Your question

Finished Build-Few Concerns (Need help)

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2011 6:11:32 AM

So i just finished my new build, and I have a couple concerns.

So my mobo is a msi Z68-GD65, and for one, there are blue lights on it that seem to be flashing a lot. No error noises or anything happen, but the small lights along the top are almost constantly blinking. Is this normal for this mobo?

Secondly, my SDD and HDD situation. i was able to get both drives set up, and recognized, and I installed windows 7 on the SSD fresh install. The only thing I have put onto the SDD besides this is WoW, and I am wondering if it is too late to make my SSD the boot drive only, as I didnjt realize there was actually a process you had to go through. If not, could someone point me to an easy to follow guide on how to get this rolling?

Whenever I boot up windows, I get an error upon login that the window is titled "BiosROMCheck" and the error says that the drivers could not be loaded! or something of that sort. I have been searching all around for info on this, and was wondering if anyone knew anything else.

As for mobo and bios I have no idea how to update these. i try using the live update and it does not work at all, so I am not sure what to do about this one.

One final thing... when I first start my comp it runs a check on IDE or something... and it says that no hard disks are recognized. then it quickly flashes another screen showing my 3 SATA disks, and then boots to windows. it seems to work fine, but I want to know if it is okay that it says no disks are recognized at first.

Sorry for so many questions, but i havent built a PC in years and am very skeptical about having messed something up on it. Thank you so much!!!!
July 7, 2011 7:12:26 PM

I am terribly sorry to bump this, i just posted this really early and I am a bit desperate for some help. I just want to make sure everything is okay
m
l
July 7, 2011 7:34:59 PM

xSeanZx said:
So my mobo is a msi Z68-GD65, and for one, there are blue lights on it that seem to be flashing a lot... Is this normal for this mobo?

No.

xSeanZx said:
Secondly, my SDD and HDD situation. i was able to get both drives set up, and recognized, and I installed windows 7 on the SSD fresh install. The only thing I have put onto the SDD besides this is WoW, and I am wondering if it is too late to make my SSD the boot drive only, as I didnjt realize there was actually a process you had to go through. If not, could someone point me to an easy to follow guide on how to get this rolling?

If you're referring to this, then you're not missing out on much. That guy is super OCD and all that work is ridiculous.

xSeanZx said:
Whenever I boot up windows, I get an error upon login that the window is titled "BiosROMCheck" and the error says that the drivers could not be loaded! or something of that sort. I have been searching all around for info on this, and was wondering if anyone knew anything else.

Your bios may be flaky. Try resetting the CMOS jumper on the mobo (the manual will tell you how to do that). If you're still getting blinking lights and/or this error message, contact MSI.

xSeanZx said:
One final thing... when I first start my comp it runs a check on IDE or something... and it says that no hard disks are recognized. then it quickly flashes another screen showing my 3 SATA disks, and then boots to windows. it seems to work fine, but I want to know if it is okay that it says no disks are recognized at first.

Normal AHCI drive behavior. My computer does it to, and it makes me happy. Death to IDE!
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2011 7:52:42 PM

So as far as the HDD is concerned, is it just easier to manually tell programs to install to the other hard Drive (E for me), rather than going through all that work?

Also when I start up my computer, i hear 4 beeping noises. One beeep, and then three quick beebbeebeep

its been so long since ive had a PC i remember them making startup noise, but Iwant to know if this is normal
m
l
July 7, 2011 8:33:42 PM

So I figured out the lights that have been flashing are the CPU Phase LEDs. Is it still a problem if these are the ones shifting?
m
l
July 7, 2011 9:13:19 PM

xSeanZx said:
So as far as the HDD is concerned, is it just easier to manually tell programs to install to the other hard Drive (E for me), rather than going through all that work?
This is what normal people do.

xSeanZx said:
Also when I start up my computer, i hear 4 beeping noises. One beeep, and then three quick beebbeebeep
According to the beep codes you're getting a video card error, but that is odd considering the fact that it is displaying things. Are you using the onboard video?

Usually a computer beeps when it doesn't boot right. I've never seen a computer boot but beep anyway (other than the initial beep during post).

Regardless, my initial advice on clearing the CMOS jumper and contacting MSI still stands.
m
l
July 7, 2011 9:35:51 PM

I am running on my GTX 580 at native 1920-1080 resolution .... I have been testing WoW and can run full settings not dropping below 60fps, and all drivers are installed and up to date that is very odd.

I will do the CMOS jumper when I get home , ahhhh this stuff can be frustrating
m
l
!