My first build - AMD

TheHorror

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I usually buy Alienware, but decided to build my own this time and save some money. I had a $1000 budget but went over by $100 (due to OS) so here's my build: What do you think?

Case: HAF 932
CPU: AMD PH II X6 1090T
MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA 890FX
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR HD6950 2G
RAM: 4Gx2 GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX
HDD: WD Black 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST
CPU fan: ZALMAN CNPS9500

Be easy on me. I know a 2500K build is the norm in this price range. :sol:

I use my PC for many things, gaming is only one, and I'm pretty picky about my games. Next game for me will be Skyrim. But I do like speed. I'm also leaving open the possibility of Crossfiring another HD6950 in the not too distant future.

TheHorror

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: purchased

Budget Range: $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Surfing the net, listening to music, gaming, home office

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Razer, Bose companion, Samsung monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: like towers and AMD

Overclocking: Yes if I can learn how

SLI or Crossfire: Yes but not right now

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

The only thing I did not get, because I could not decide which way to go, was a sound card. Thinking about how often I use my PC as a home stereo, I should have factored that in.

striker410

Distinguished
Yeah, 2500k woud have been the definite choice IMO. It's faster in every category, especially gaming and media creation. Still a nice build! My only gripe is the 650TX does not have the connectors for a second 6950. Which kinda sucks. No offense, but next time drop by BEFORE purchasing :D

TheHorror

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
So when I decide to add another 6950 I'll have to get a new PSU?

I can always exchange a part or two (or three) if necessary. I wanted to take advantage of of some NE 4th of July specials so I had to pull the trigger. Kind of a rush build (while the wife is out of town). :D

TheHorror

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
So my build is complete and running great, if anyone sees this thread and decides they want to do one. The OC settings on the MOBO are great for a noob like me. Windows ratings are 7.5, 7.5, 7.9, 7.9, and 5.9 (freakin' HDD). I am not running the GSkill yet... only have 2G of RAM until is arrives, so I expect to pop those 7.5 up to 7.9s. And no OC yet... even with the super easy MOBO settings. I did set the RAM to 1600 in the BIOS but that was all. Also, have not installed the HSF yet.

Will post Benchmarks when I get my RAM and HSF all set.

AND, from what I gathered Bulldozer will be compatible with AM3 not just AM3+, unless someone else have definitive info that says otherwise. All in all, so far so good.