Will my pc be bottlenecked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

souvik145

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hello,
I want to buy a new graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6870 1 GB
I want to know whether my PC perform at its fullest or will it be bottlenecked??
My Specs Are
RAM-2 GB DDR2
Processor-Intel Core 2 Duo 2.83 GHZ
Motherboard-Intel DG31Pr
HDD-320 GB HDD

Will the graphics card work to its fullest?

I will run games like Crysis and all in 1600*900 res with high settings...

Solution
No, I meant that in addition to upgrading your GPU, I suggest also buying a second 2GB RAM module.

Now, I will assume for a while that you run Windows Vista/7. Windows by itself will consume 700 MB-1GB of RAM at startup (mine consumes 1.3 GB, but I think that's because I now have 8GB RAM). Open a browser, that adds 50 MB. Open a game, that's easily 800 MB - 1.5 GB. You can see how fast your 2 GB of RAM will bottleneck your system. You will notice this when it comes to loading new areas, where the game will hang up for a second and smoothen out again. Your game load times will also take a hit while Windows is freeing up some memory for your game.

4 GB should be more than enough. Even with 20 browser tabs, a media player, and a game...

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
What's your current GPU? The only bottleneck I can see right now is the RAM, which you'll probably want to upgrade to 4 GB. What model is the Core 2 Duo in your PC? Also, does your PSU have the necessary 6-pin power connector?

You can play most games at high settings at 1600x900 using the 6870.

souvik145

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
i currently have no gpu :non: and yes my psu has a 6 pin power connector.. :D
model of the core 2 duo is E7500...

Do i need to upgrade my ram only ?? and then every thing will work fine??

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
No, I meant that in addition to upgrading your GPU, I suggest also buying a second 2GB RAM module.

Now, I will assume for a while that you run Windows Vista/7. Windows by itself will consume 700 MB-1GB of RAM at startup (mine consumes 1.3 GB, but I think that's because I now have 8GB RAM). Open a browser, that adds 50 MB. Open a game, that's easily 800 MB - 1.5 GB. You can see how fast your 2 GB of RAM will bottleneck your system. You will notice this when it comes to loading new areas, where the game will hang up for a second and smoothen out again. Your game load times will also take a hit while Windows is freeing up some memory for your game.

4 GB should be more than enough. Even with 20 browser tabs, a media player, and a game, you wouldn't be able to use all 4 GB.

So recap: It's OK if you don't upgrade the RAM, but I highly suggest you do. It'll help with system responsiveness even outside of games. The CPU you currently have is a good one, so I don't think we have a problem there. It might bottleneck since you're playing at 1600x900, but it'll give you smooth framerates with the 6870 even at high settings.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.