MS DOS PC

logamuthu

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I need advice to configure a simple desktop PC to standby in case my existing MS DOS PCs (two of them!) ditch me! -

The configuration to include --->

1) cabinet to accommodate at least one IDE HDD, one 3.5" FDD and one IDE CD-ROM;

2) Motherboard to have at least two IDE Hosts/controllers; One FDD host/controller; two USB (1.0 or 2.0) ports; one RJ45 port;

BIOS to permit booting from Hard Disk, Floppy disk, CD ROM;

3. compatible CPU/Processor with minimal arithmetic capabilities similar to 80486 or even lower, single-user/single-task,

command line work with OS - MS DOS 6.22 supported by Qbasic v.1.0, Foxpro for DOS v.2.5a and Wordstar 4 which have more

than satisfactorily helped me to manage my Medical Practice Databases for over 30 years and

4. compatible RAM - may be 1 GB.

While I belong to the majority loyal to Intel, Gigabytes and Athlon AMD should also be OK.

Info about brands of the components would be helpful to make my purchases.

Prof.Dr.K.Loga muthu krishnan, MBBS.,MS(Gen).,MCh(Neuro).,PhD(Neuro).,FRCS(Edinburgh).,FRSM(London).,
Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon,
Old 45, New 60, First Main Road (aka First Avenue) East,
Old 64, New 25, Fourth Street,
F Block,
(Near Chinthamani Supermarket & Balaji Bhavan Hotel - Next to Indian Overseas Bank(270), Opp Sakthi Xerox & Phone Booth,
Anna Nagar East,
CHENNAI - 600 102.
Tamil Nadu,
India
Tel:91-044-26209555/26225555/26289191
Email: logamuthu.krishnan@gmail.com
krishnanlogamuthu@yahoo.com

sar_298

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
You may look for Pako communication ,they deal with legacy hardware supplied by AEON with single SOC.
1 Gb RAM not awailable but your work of dos can be done with 128MB

"than satisfactorily helped me to manage my Medical Practice Databases for over 30 years" you own a medical practice so you should have more than enough cash to upgrade everything. I can't imagine what your staff think of you still running that old dos system. Please do you and your staff a favour and update your system.