Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD HD 6970 Crossfire or GTX 570 Superclocked SLI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 25, 2011 9:28:33 AM

6970s would scale better
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2011 10:31:22 AM

agreed with alikum,a crossfire 6970 will nearly be eqult to a 6990,and it will also scale much better at high resolutions than a single 6990
Score
Related resources
April 25, 2011 11:11:00 AM

both are good...but i would go with 2 6950's in crossfire for $500 vs 2 6970's for $700...
Score
a c 127 U Graphics card
April 25, 2011 11:31:37 AM

AMD's drivers suck with crossfire setups.

I'd go with the 570s if you're planning on getting more than one card. SLI driver support is great. You get what you pay for.
Score
May 19, 2011 9:57:27 PM

Quote:

I'd go with the 570s if you're planning on getting more than one card. SLI driver support is great. You get what you pay for.

Not true, the hd 6000 series beats the gtx 500 series in scaling. AMD has really improved their drivers in the last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yESeP_27cqo

The hd 6950 crossfire clearly beats the gtx 560 sli setup in most benchmarks. I know its 560's vs 6950's but the scaling should be similar between gtx 560/570 and hd 6950/6970.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2011 10:09:52 PM

SHort of a primary "I only play Metro 2033'-system, I can't really find a need for dual-gpu system at 1080p.

As for the above poster saying a Xfire/twin 6970 will but 'nearly equal' a 6990, that is incorrect: the dual 6970 *defeats* the 6990, ....all the time.
Score
a c 127 U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 11:17:30 AM

a101817 said:
Quote:

Not true, the hd 6000 series beats the gtx 500 series in scaling. AMD has really improved their drivers in the last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yESeP_27cqo

The hd 6950 crossfire clearly beats the gtx 560 sli setup in most benchmarks. I know its 560's vs 6950's but the scaling should be similar between gtx 560/570 and hd 6950/6970.

Anyone with a crossfire argument always points to fps from some review and how much cheaper it is. No one makes mention of all the driver glitches you have to deal with. Most who argue for crossfire have never experienced it first-hand. Those that have experienced crossfire and still argue in favor of it have never tried an SLI setup.

500 fps doesn't mean a thing when three out of every four frames is black, flickering, or has some other visual glitch. FRAPs doesn't care about the quality of the frame; it just counts the frame.

I've owned and experienced both technologies first-hand. In the end, crossfire ends up being a waste of money due to driver quality issues and the resulting performance issues. I can also tell you first-hand, my FRAPs numbers stayed way up when running crossfire while all the glitching was happening. It's amazing how swapping out crossfire for SLI got rid of all the issues.

I just like to let people know they do have a choice and you don't have to settle for performance issues. This is why I will continue to recommend SLI as a multi-card solution until a batch of AMD cards comes out that can effectively run in crossfire glitch free.
Score
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
May 21, 2011 1:11:52 PM

@Ubercake: i'm totally agreed with you

btw i think single 570 or 6970 is enough for OP in regard to his resolution unless he wants to play with multiple resolution later on
Score
June 2, 2011 3:33:07 PM

@ubercake
Which driver version? Which profile? Running 11.4, so far haven't encountered much problems in CFX 6850. However, I don't play all the latest games, so can't really argue here. Just wanna know
Score
a c 593 U Graphics card
a c 152 À AMD
June 2, 2011 4:06:36 PM

Funny about the "AMD scales better" mantra that gets thrown around without showing evidence to back it up. That is misleading and inaccurate. It depends on the game, as always, and blanket statements are never going to be as accurate as just showing proof.

Red is for AMD, green is for Nvidia. By the way, if you add up all of these benchmarks the GTX 570 edges out the 6970 Crossfire setup in scaling (click for a larger image).

Same goes for overall performance. It depends on the game. To read the chart, those games that favor the 6970's have positive ratings on bars to the right of center. Those games favoring the 570's have negative values on bars to the left of center.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/radeo...

The GTX 570's will run quieter and cooler, partially due to a better shroud design that allows for better intake airflow. Many will report that Nvidia SLI drivers are more stable than AMD Crossfire drivers. Nvidia recently included an automatic SLI profile updater to ensure that the latest updates are applied:

Score
a c 127 U Graphics card
June 2, 2011 4:42:44 PM

alikum said:
@ubercake
Which driver version? Which profile? Running 11.4, so far haven't encountered much problems in CFX 6850. However, I don't play all the latest games, so can't really argue here. Just wanna know

Various issues I experienced with drivers up to 11.3 on a crossfire setup (first 2x, then 3x 5850s):

- Bluescreen during driver update
- Number 2 GPU staying pegged at 100% after a gaming session
- Problem getting video back after the PC goes into sleep mode
- Black screen at the end of successful driver update
- Extended Windows load times when booting up
- Screen jiggling back and forth when Windows starts or when Windows shuts down
- Constant flickering video in the tank on BFBC2
- Flickering video during BFBC2 at various times
- Flickering video when waiting around corners in MOH
- Constant flickering video in Crysis 2
- HDMI/DP audio driver wouldn't install
- Driver sweeper required to simply update drivers

When I say flickering, I don't mean tearing. I mean what appeared to be gray or black frames interspersed with the game's video signals all the while getting fantastic framerates in FRAPS. Definitely not conducive to an ideal first-person shooter experience. Could it be described as microstuttering? Maybe?

Each new release of the drivers brought about a new challenge or issue; some issues would go away others would emerge or re-emerge. After waiting a year for the flickering to clear up in BFBC2, I decided it was time I quit complaining and part company with my AMD cards. I haven't had an issue since.

I wanted to think I was getting a better deal with my AMD cards, but just became fed up. I had quite an investment in my AMD cards, so I didn't want to feel like I was getting 2nd-rate anything out of the deal.

I didn't have the same flickering issues with a single AMD card or with crossfire turned off.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
June 2, 2011 4:56:27 PM

manu 11 said:
agreed with alikum,a crossfire 6970 will nearly be eqult to a 6990,and it will also scale much better at high resolutions than a single 6990

What do you mean by, "nearly equal to a 6990"? 6970's in crossfire are faster than a 6990. They are the same GPU's, only the 6990 is down clocked a bit.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
June 2, 2011 4:58:18 PM

Most newer motherboard have fixed the problem with crossfire/SLI cards being too close together. They've been adding an extra slot between them so neither are having issues.
Score
June 3, 2011 2:00:18 AM

ubercake said:
Various issues I experienced with drivers up to 11.3 on a crossfire setup (first 2x, then 3x 5850s):

- Bluescreen during driver update
- Number 2 GPU staying pegged at 100% after a gaming session
- Problem getting video back after the PC goes into sleep mode
- Black screen at the end of successful driver update
- Extended Windows load times when booting up
- Screen jiggling back and forth when Windows starts or when Windows shuts down
- Constant flickering video in the tank on BFBC2
- Flickering video during BFBC2 at various times
- Flickering video when waiting around corners in MOH
- Constant flickering video in Crysis 2
- HDMI/DP audio driver wouldn't install
- Driver sweeper required to simply update drivers

When I say flickering, I don't mean tearing. I mean what appeared to be gray or black frames interspersed with the game's video signals all the while getting fantastic framerates in FRAPS. Definitely not conducive to an ideal first-person shooter experience. Could it be described as microstuttering? Maybe?

Each new release of the drivers brought about a new challenge or issue; some issues would go away others would emerge or re-emerge. After waiting a year for the flickering to clear up in BFBC2, I decided it was time I quit complaining and part company with my AMD cards. I haven't had an issue since.

I wanted to think I was getting a better deal with my AMD cards, but just became fed up. I had quite an investment in my AMD cards, so I didn't want to feel like I was getting 2nd-rate anything out of the deal.

I didn't have the same flickering issues with a single AMD card or with crossfire turned off.

Most of the issues listed above have been resolved since 11.4 came out like blue screen during sleep, 2 gpu at 100% and some others (you'll need to check their changelog).
Like I said, I don't play the latest, so I don't know much about Crysis 2 or BFBC2. However, I have no problems with Crysis running on high 1080p.
Score
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
June 3, 2011 2:39:28 AM

lol. this thread already starts to become AMD vs Nvidia but OP never did once reply back this thread :D 
Score
June 3, 2011 2:40:32 AM

We're trolled!

kidding
Score
a c 593 U Graphics card
a c 152 À AMD
June 3, 2011 3:32:29 AM

alikum said:
@matto17secs

here's a link to backup my claims http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way...

Thank you for showing something to back up the claim. I do appreciate it. That review has always been flawed in that it uses only 6 benchmarks and compares a higher performing card vs. a lower performing card. The higher performing GTX 570's will always be more bottlenecked than the 6950's and display lesser scaling. A better comparison would pit the 570's vs. the 6970's with a wider variety of benchmarks. The truth is, the scaling is similar, and depends on the game and system setup.
Score
June 3, 2011 6:00:57 AM

@matto17secs
Well, can't argue with that =)
Score
a c 127 U Graphics card
June 3, 2011 9:51:52 AM

alikum said:
Most of the issues listed above have been resolved since 11.4 came out like blue screen during sleep, 2 gpu at 100% and some others (you'll need to check their changelog).
Like I said, I don't play the latest, so I don't know much about Crysis 2 or BFBC2. However, I have no problems with Crysis running on high 1080p.

In line with what I said... Always a qualifier when describing the performance of crossfire and driver issues:

"Most of the issues listed above have been resolved since 11.4 came out..."

I'd be willing to bet they still haven't fixed the flickering video issues in a few of the most popular games on the planet.

But if that's something people are willing to live with and that's what people consider value, more power to them and more money in AMDs pocket and less motiviation for AMDs video driver team to put out a good product.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
June 3, 2011 2:51:54 PM

Frankly I don't experience any of these issues on my crossfire setup. I have seen some odd problems once in a great while, but they were the same exact problems I had with 470's in SLI (game related, they weren't very good games).
Score
June 3, 2011 7:43:58 PM

mattospecs is probably and nvidia worker or a die hard fanboy so take any of his opinions with big grain of salt
Score
a c 127 U Graphics card
June 3, 2011 7:46:12 PM

whemian said:
mattospecs is probably and nvidia worker or a die hard fanboy so take any of his opinions with big grain of salt

If you've had experience with both, you'd be an Nvidia fan boy as well.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
June 3, 2011 7:54:41 PM

ubercake said:
If you've had experience with both, you'd be an Nvidia fan boy as well.

I have a lot of experience with both, I'm not a fanboy.
Score
a c 593 U Graphics card
a c 152 À AMD
June 3, 2011 8:18:28 PM

whemian said:

I'm sorry, but personal attacks are not cool. If you have any problems with the perspective I have brought to this thread, then take issue with the idea, and explain why you disagree.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
June 3, 2011 8:28:17 PM

renz496 said:
lol. this thread already starts to become AMD vs Nvidia but OP never did once reply back this thread :D 

Noted.
whemian said:

Which would make you what? An Ati fan and or employee? :pfff: 
Score
!