Will this cpu fit my mobo

belly888

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I have a Emachine 1331g-05w with a Esc Mcp61pm-gm Rev.2.4 Ami Bios 12\10\2009 I upgraded from a 250u Athlon2x2 at 1.6 ghz(25watts) too a 265 Athlon 2x2 at 3.3 ghz(65watts). I did some reasearch and it say my mobo can take under 89 watts cpu . So I've found 2 a Phenom2x2 565 3.4ghz(80watts) or a Phenom 2x4 910e 2.6ghz(65watts) both have L3 cache at 6mb my cpu I have right now does not have L3 cache . How big of a change will an L3 cache at 6mb actually make for gaming ? Right now I can play all games just not on really high graphics but I can still play.

Here's all all ther cards in comparison
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUSideBySide.aspx?id=525&id=728&id=720

Mine is the one in the middle an there all about the same specs . But what is better for gaming a quad core at 2.6 ghz or a dual core at 3.4 ghz? I can play Bf3 open beta right now on med video with 25 fps and low video with 30 fps with my 440 gt but I want to upgrade to a 570 or a 560 ti or 560 or a 550 ti . Does any one have a good answer for me ? And will any of these cards bottleneck my new or current cpu ? I can't afford a new pc or I would get a Intel 2nd generation pc. I just want a honest answer on which cpu I should buy. I will for sure buy one of them I just want a second opinion before my final decision. Plus im gonna get one of those gpu's if you could help me chose I will appreciate your answers.

Thanks in advance

belly888

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Ok so I want to update you Guys. I made my decision to upgrade my motherboard to Asus Sabertooth 990fx Am3+ and use my Athlon2x2 265 Am3 chip since I found out it is backward compatible and just buy a new computuer case. Ddr3 ram ,Western digital 10000rpm 450 gb hardrive , Blu ray dvd rom and a 550 watt psu and keep my old zotac 440GPU . Until my income tax check next year . So I can get the 8150 bulldozer with a 590 gtx ! Amd is gonna save me some money and make this transition easier then if i wanted to go with Intel a good ease into transition !

All together this transition will cost me about 8 hundred dollars now . And about 1300 dollars with my income taxe . So I am aiming for a high end gaming rig plus i'll still have this Pc also . So thanks to Amd for thinking of these backward compatiblity's unlike Intel .

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
+1 on the SSD

BF3 will not be CPU limited by the Athlon until you get a much faster GPU (560 Ti or better) so for your gaming sanity get a good GPU and power supply first.

Unless you have less than 4GB of RAM, in which case I can see where you would want the new motherboard to avoid getting more DDR2, but the best gaming bang for your buck is almost always a GPU upgrade first.

belly888

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Quick update well I bought a 550 watt and a 560ti and blew my motherboard to much watts so I hade to buy a brand new rig . I went ahead and got a Intel I5 2500k with an Asus P8z68 v lx 16 mb Azza Toledo 301 case new OS, 6gb 7200 rpm 500 gb hardrive , new cd\dvd 22x and I will will get the ssd card in the future . I had Micro Center build it for me . Could I install the ssd my self or would I need to do stuff to get it to work or is just snapp an go

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Sounds a good build :)

You can just plug it in and go (connects via SATA port). However the best option would be to:

Backup all your current HDD media (files and folders) somewhere (external HDD)
Format it (wipe everything on the HDD)
Then install the SSD and re-install your Operating System on there, along with all your desktop applications
Then reconnect your HDD
Connect external HDD and copy all files back over onto HDD.

This will leave you with your OS and Applications running at optimal performance on your new SSD and all your files and media will be stored on your mechanical HDD.

belly888

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Thanks for the answer . I only do gaming and web browsing so what will help my fps more sli-in my 560 ti or buying a ssd card and doing what adrian perry told me . because thats my main focus is high fps numbers and good gaming experience.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

An SSD wont improve your FPS in any way at all. This is all down to the GPU and CPU. Adding a second card in SLI is your best upgrade path if you want more "in-game performance".

Does your motherboard support SLI?
Make sure you get a 750w+ PSU for SLI 560Ti's (Recommended brands include: Corsair, XFX, SeaSonic, Antec).

belly888

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Ya it does support sli. Right know I got an ocz 550 watt 80% certified 12v 38a. Thanks for the Intel then . Now what about the stock fan for my Cpu do i need to upgrade that at all I don.t do any overclocking although my asus motherboard has eazy button bios . my fps right know for red orchestra 2 is between 45 and 50 . Do you think I need to over clock or even get another graphic card or is 45- 50 fps good for ultra settings . The game runs smooth maybe i should just keep everythung as is ! My case is an Azza toledo 301 and it has a huge blue lighted fan in the side and small fan in the front and back . my cpu runs 35 c on idle and 50 -60 while gaming is that too high !

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Anything over 30-40 fps is usually plenty. Over-clocking your CPU will almost certainly give more performance. Especially as your using an ASUS motherboard, the auto OC feature is great - I was able to get 4.6GHz using my boards auto OC feature using a very "average" after-market cooler.

My recommendation - in terms of Over-clocking:

Keep your stock cooler
Run the Auto OC and see what the highest it can do is
Run HWMonitor or similar software to monitor temperatures
Run Prime95 for about 2hours and keep an eye on temps
----
The Auto-OC SHOULDN'T OC past a safe level, so temps shouldn't be an issue - BUT its worth checking yourself in my opinion.
----
If your temps go past about 75 degree's - stop Prime95 and drop back to stock frequency.
If your temps stabilize around 60-70 degree's (which is likely), then stick with the over-clock.
There's a good chance this will get you to 4GHz or more even with the stock cooler.

If this results in a noticeable/worthwhile performance increase, you might want to consider spending a little on a after-market cooler, and push your over-clock higher (4.5GHz mark). This can be done at very little expense.

belly888

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
you know what im just gonna keep my rig the way it is . but how good are crossfire gpu i only used nvidia cards never have i used amd or what ever croosfire cards are what would be an equal to a 560 ti sli or how would 2 6990 be compare to 2 590 gtx couse thats what my goal was gonna be . i guess i'll have to cross fire 2 6990 . i just wish i new whats better or would the be little of a difference

an do you mean 75 celsius and stop the prime95 so i tried and my max was 65 c is that to high i was thinking about getting a watter cooler corsair ! now is ther any cards like sound cards or any other useful cards that use pci express i can us that other pci e for i 'm wanting to max everything out

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I don't think you can crossfire 6990's. It already has dual GPU's so you would still only be able to run a single card.

The GTX 560Ti equivalent would be 6950's. So you could run two of 6950's in crossfire.

To be honest I'm not sure why you need more performance though, I run a single GTX 560Ti and its plenty for all current games. Id just be happy with what you have and save your money until the next series of graphics cards come along (6XX series and 7XXX series).

65degree's is perfectly fine, that's about what is expected. But yes if your temps keep rising and they start heading towards 75-80 degree's+ id recommend stop running Prime95 and down-clock your CPU slightly to avoid damage.

Water-cooling is quite unnecessary in most situations I wouldn't really recommend it unless your on a very generous budget and installing it in a high end system.

-----

Is this your current set-up?
Azza Toledo 301
i5 2500k @ 3.3 ghz stock fan
16gb hyper kingston ram
Asus P8Z68 V LX
560TI@1GHZ

-----

If so id recommend picking up a fairly cheap after-market CPU cooler, something like:
Hyper 212+
Hyper 212 EVO
Arctic Freezer 13
Arctic Freezer 7 Rev2.

All of these will be able to support an i5-2500k over-clock of 4.5GHz which will give you some noticeable performance increase over your current stock clock speeds.

belly888

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
ok thanks i think ill go today to get one thanks ya i was thinking about getting a 590 but ill wait . so is sli and crossfire gonna be obsolete . since the 590 is 2 gpu and the cards are getting better .