Wireless N router can it be used with wireless G adapter

I bought a new wireless N router. I have two desktops that have a wireless G PCI adapter in them. I cannot get them to connect to the wireless router. Is it because they are 'G' and not 'N'?
8 answers Last reply
More about wireless router wireless adapter

1. It's possible - check the router's settings to allow for B/G and N - they are all backwards compatible. Did you input the correct security details for the new router?
  2. The problem is that on the two destops it will not even find the wireless network. I will check the router's setting to make sure it will allow B/G and N. Thanks
  3. are you broadcasting you SSID, or is broadcasting disabled?
  4. I am broadcasting in SSID
  5. FYI the router is a Netgear N300 wireless router - wnr2000v2 - i dont' understand why the two desktops which run Windows XP will not even locate the network. All my laptops, PS3, Ipad, etc locate it fine.

6. Could those systems have older wireless chips which maybe cannot recognise the security level of the new router? Some older machines - my laptop included - can't even "see" any signal protected by WPA2.
  7. I ended up getting a USB "N adapter" for the desktops. Stopped trying to get them connected. The USB N Adapters work well

8. Could those systems have older wireless chips which maybe cannot recognise the security level of the new router? Some older machines - my laptop included - can't even "see" any signal protected by WPA2.

i am having exact same thing. do not know what to do???
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Routers Wireless Networking