nexus_nexion

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Hi, I went on some websites that there's going to be more highend Sandybridge processors, not sure if it's true or I have read it wrong.
Also is First gen of Ivy going to fasters than the 2600k? is it worth waiting for?

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Ivy is still at least 6 mos out, maybe longer. Yes they will be faster, some rumors point at them being quite a bit faster.

They both share the same socket and most newer Sandy mobo's will support Ivy with a bios update.

If you can wait 6-8 mos then wait for it. If you can't wait that long buy a 2600k, use it for 6-8 mos, buy an Ivy and resell the 2600k on ebay for $200. Keep in mind though the Ivy might be quite a bit more money, the "2600k" equivalent if i remember right looked like it was going to be around ~$500.

nexus_nexion

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
25% isn't a small difference. I've got Q6600 from 5 years ago, it's still doing a good job, but I have a feeling it's coming to a near end.

What is the significant specs difference between the 2 CPUs anyway?

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011

The overall difference from sandybridge is about 10%, I mistyped 25% originally. From the chip you are using even sandybridge is a pretty significant upgrade.

The article linked above is a good one and will answer most of what you want to know.

It's difficult to say what the performance increase will be. I have read rumors of 5% - 20% for the CPU, but I would expect it would be roughly 10%. That's about the performance increase from the 2nd gen Core 2 Dual / Quad (Yorkville, I believe) to the 1st gen Clarkdale Core i3/i5/i7. Another 10% - 12% from Clarkdale to Sandy Bridge.

According to Anandtech, the graphic core may get as much as a 60% performance boost. That sounds impressive, but that means that the integrated core's performance would be around as powerful as a desktop Radeon HD 5550. The Intel HD 3000 is slightly faster than a desktop Radeon HD 5450.

I've been thinking about upgrading my current Q9450 to Ivy Bridge for some time, but I think I'll just continue to use my Q9450 since it still provides me enough performance for my needs. Of course that may change when IB is released.

TRENDING THREADS