New card won't play games.

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I have another thread on this card, but the problem has changed :pt1cable:

MY Radeon Hd 5670 is installed, with correct drivers and according to the computer and every test I can think of - this card is working.

However when I try to play Shogun 2 it shows me the video but won't go to the main menu in order to start playing, the screen just goes dark - but with sound. Same with Dragon Age II and some others. Sometimes it will allow me to get to the menu of say, Napoleon Total War, but after a set time - the screen either goes off or goes a funny colour.

My HD 5450 however plays these games fine (just not the resolution I'm wanting.) The temperature of my new card is fine, as far as my thermometer is concerned and it has the correct power. Also, this is my second 5670, the first one wouldn't get recognised by my system (it was broken.)

Thanks for any help you can give. :D

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

I have the xfx Radeon Hd 5670, 512mb gddr5 with PCI Express 2.1 : find it here.
And the motherboard is the motherboard in the HP Q5200uk, a M2n68-la board (narra6) : find it here.

As I say - the xfx Radeon HD 5450 works on this board and with the rest of my specs no problem - I'm stumped.

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

I have indeed - tried the ones from both ATI and XFX - both on a clean boot and having removed the old drivers with drive sweeper.

Here's a few things I'm planning to try, if anyone thinks they are a good idea or not let me know:

1 - going to check that the bios for my board is up to date
2 - Change resolution
3 - Run compatability mode
4 - put xp on a partition, see if it runs from there

Can anyone think of something else I can do?

I have put a support ticket through xfx too, but still waiting to hear from them.

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

No, the only other thing I've got is laptops. I can get it tested at the shop I bought it from, but not until the weekend. That would be my second return to these guys. The first card wouldn't get detected - it was broken. This one they checked to see if it connected - and it did.

I'm thinking it can't be the card at fault, but maybe the mobo, or drivers, or something. The card doesn't overheat and it displays, does video in hi-def, it just won't play these games when I hit the menu. And these games are coded with my series of cards in mind. Hell, even the mobo is 100% compatible along with all the other specs.

But then why does the 5450 work and not this one? And where's a smiley that makes my head go boom?

The only thing I can think of is that your HP's motherboard has a PCI-e 1.0 or 1.1 slot. People have reported problems sticking a PCI-e 2.1 video card (like your HD 5670) into a PCI-e 1.x slot. HP's website does not list that info, therefore, I recommend contacting HP's technical support to find out which version of the PCI-e slot is in that motherboard.

If they do not know or they tell you it is PCI-e 1.x, then you need to return your PCI-e 2.1 HD 5670 and get one that specifically states PCI-e 2.0.

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

That's a good point, but my existing 5450 is also a 2.1 PCI-e and there are no existing problems with it. All games play with it. I figured the 5670 would just be an upgrade - not a deal breaker. Grrr.

Gumption

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Well, after:

Updating the .Net framework
Dialling back the drivers
Going back to Direct x 9 (several iterations)
Searching for the appdata file
Changing the resolution
Re-installing the drivers umpteen times
And running a benchmark test (which it failed on low settings)
I have concluded that this card is kaput.

I think I'm right in that, I mean if the card can't perform on benchmark software - it must be the card that's in the wrong surely? Especially if I've done all this other stuff...