New Build- gpu and internet problems

ian73

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Set-up: Fatal1ty p67 mobo, Geforce GTX 470, corsair HX1000w psu, windows 7

Switched my new pc on for the first time last night and thought everything was going to well, i have a Geforce GTX 470 which i just cannot get to run, it is not showing up in the list devices, when i put the driver cd in it keeps crashing about half way through installation, comes up with an error and to says to contact nvidia, will my gpu not show until the drivers are installed and any suggestions about the driver problem? i have tried moving the card and i also have highlighted in the bios set-up that my primary graphics adapter is = PCI Express, is this correct and should i have anything else enabled/disabled? It is in the slot and powered up as the fans are going round.

Next is a problem connecting to the internet, attempted everything, i have an ethernet cable connected from the pc into my router but my pc just fails to acknowledge it, could i possible not have all my ports enabled or something? again is there a setting in the bios that i should be ticking or enabling?
I have installed all the drivers for the mobo so really unsure as to what is going on here.

Any suggestions/help much appreciated, just about to return my graphics card unless you guys have any ideas...

ian73

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

Yes, double checked that...

Windows 7 has native support for most add-on devices, such as the 470, with one caveat, Win7 uses its own generic drivers. These generic drivers allow high resolution monitors to be used w/o display adapter drivers to be installed prior to use, but the catch is you don't get all the support that you would by using the nVidia driver(s). That said, there could be a conflict with the drivers (mobo, Win7, and 470) all trying to access the same device simultaneously. Download and install Driver Sweeper (google it), and then scan and remove any nVidia drivers currently installed.

As for the internet issue, do this:

1. Click Start
2. Type "CMD" in the box, and then press Enter
3. Type "ipconfig", and then press enter
4. After the command finishes its business, right click and Select All
5. Paste what you just copied into a text file.
6. Transfer file to a flash drive, and then to the computer you're using to post on this forum.
7. Copy and paste the ipconfig info into a reply to this thread

ian73

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Ians Gamer>ipcomfig
'ipcomfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Ians Gamer>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{4F720633-EA81-4B4F-8C51-AD042B3CB98F}:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{09CC34D4-E067-4E4B-A02A-86C72DB22FBB}:

C:\Users\Ians Gamer>

Got there in the end, here is what it says.
still unable to get on line, i have no hair left now.

the graphics card i sent back, i'm sure it was a dud.

OK. Now check the device manager to see if it recognizes that the driver was installed. If the device manager shows that the driver is installed and that the device is working correctly (which I doubt), then try downloading the driver from the mobo website.

Also, just double check that you've got the cat5 cables connected properly. Typically, the cable modem will have just one port, so that should be pretty straight forward. As for the router, depending on the model you have, there could be 4-5 ports, and one is usually designated as WAN, the others would typically be numbered 1-4. If this is indeed how your router is, ensure that you've connected PC and router via ports 1-4, and that the modem is connected to WAN.

If all else fails, try this:

http://www.asrock.com/support/qa/TSDQA-18.pdf

ian73

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
It was the cable all along, right port just dud cable, got a new one and off it went, grrr very annoying but atleast i got there, thx for all the advice.