Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't install Win7 on laptop

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2011 5:59:55 PM

Hey all, My friend has an old HP Pavilion laptop with Vista. Obviously you see the problem here. So I'm trying to load Windows 7 on it, and I get this:

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.
Error code: 0x80070570"

Now I've tried without formatting the hard drive, and I've reformatted the hard drive, I've used 3 different copies of Windows 7, 2 not-so-legally obtained copies, and my retail Home Premium disk. This error happens each time at about 31% of the "Expanding Windows files" Stage. I haven't the slightest idea as to why this is happening, but it certainly isn't very convenient, I could REALLY use some help on this.

Specs:
Intel Centrino dual core @ 2.00Ghz
4GB of what I'm guessing is DDR2
No OS
Integrated graphics

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so if I'm posting in the wrong place, please point me in the right direction D:

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas!
~Kirk

More about : install win7 laptop

July 7, 2011 6:15:13 PM

I would try this if I could, but I do not have a DVD-burner, consequently.
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2011 6:23:09 PM

Hmmm... it's a long shot, but try this:

Attempt to install again, and if you encounter the error again, simply click cancel. When you are returned to the first menu, retry the installation without rebooting.

here's the source of this tip:
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/34736-0x8...
m
l
July 7, 2011 6:29:11 PM

Actually, I think I may have gotten this working. I was installing to the main, 450GB partition, There was another partition: "RECOVERY". I tried installing to that, and it worked! I'm just hoping that there wasn't anything important on there... :p 

Thanks for the Effort, anyhow :) 
m
l

Best solution

July 7, 2011 6:45:52 PM

The importance of the Recovery console was to be able to restore the laptop to the condition it was in, when it was shipped to the retail store. Considering that your goal was to get Windows 7 installed, then no, the recovery console is pretty much useless; however, the RECOVERY partition is much smaller and using that partition will severly limit storage capacity. I recommend that once Windows is finished installing that you adjust the partitions. The best way to do this is to use a third party software, such as Partition Magic. If you don't make the OS partition larger, your friend may have difficulties installing programs later.

July 7, 2011 7:00:01 PM

Thanks for the advice man! :D 
m
l
July 7, 2011 7:00:14 PM

Best answer selected by Kirkr.
m
l
!