Desktop Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't know what was so hard about this question. Its straight
forward yet only one of 23 replies answered it. I'm not interested in
your opinion on questions I don't ask. If you have no opinion on it
then pass on by. Lets try again. Suppose you had to replace your
desktop with a laptop. Which one - ignore cost - would you choose?

ME

>I don't know what was so hard about this question. Its straight
>forward yet only one of 23 replies answered it. I'm not interested in
>your opinion on questions I don't ask. If you have no opinion on it
>then pass on by.

Nope

Sorry but you don't "own" Usenet

Chuck Pinnegar <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>I don't know what was so hard about this question.

>Suppose you had to replace your
>desktop with a laptop. Which one - ignore cost - would you choose?

The reason you don't like the answers is that the question is too
vague. What are your current desktop requirements or specs and what
would be the requirements of your laptop?

And "cost is no object" is also a non-starter, I can get nearly
desktop-equivalent horsepower from a laptop by buying a $10K desktop
and using a laptop as a wireless display client. When you say "Ignore
Cost" is $15K all right?

Chuck Pinnegar wrote:

> I don't know what was so hard about this question. Its straight
> forward yet only one of 23 replies answered it. I'm not interested in
> your opinion on questions I don't ask. If you have no opinion on it
> then pass on by. Lets try again. Suppose you had to replace your
> desktop with a laptop. Which one - ignore cost - would you choose?

If I _had_ to? I'd either find a better employer or start shooting
politicians, whichever it was that was forcing me into this position.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

ceebee

Chuck Pinnegar <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

> I'm not
> interested in your opinion on questions I don't ask. If you have
> no opinion on it then pass on by.

If you think Usenet was developed for you to let people jump through
your hoop at your command, you still have a lot to learn.

If you're not interested in opinions don't read them and pass on by.

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:50:44 -0400, William P. N. Smith wrote:

>Chuck Pinnegar <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>I don't know what was so hard about this question.
>
>>Suppose you had to replace your
>>desktop with a laptop. Which one - ignore cost - would you choose?
>
>The reason you don't like the answers is that the question is too
>vague. What are your current desktop requirements or specs and what
>would be the requirements of your laptop?
>
>And "cost is no object" is also a non-starter, I can get nearly
>desktop-equivalent horsepower from a laptop by buying a $10K desktop
>and using a laptop as a wireless display client. When you say "Ignore
>Cost" is $15K all right?

Not to be argumentative but since I'm not going to get an answer to my
question lets look at your reply. You say my question was too vague.
You don't need my requirements because I purposely asked you what
laptop YOU would buy. Its YOUR desktop that is to be replaced. The
same with your comments about the $15K laptop-desktop combo. If you
really think that that comment relates to my question don't make a
speeech - list it!

Why do you answer newsgroup questions? People who sincerely want
help/opinion come here seeking same only to run into people like you
whose only purpose is to be obstructive. Why couldn't you just type HP
1234XYZ and move on?

On 28 Jun 2005 14:51:37 GMT, CeeBee <ceebeechester@start.com.au>
wrote:

>Chuck Pinnegar <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:
>
>> I'm not
>> interested in your opinion on questions I don't ask. If you have
>> no opinion on it then pass on by.
>
>If you think Usenet was developed for you to let people jump through
>your hoop at your command, you still have a lot to learn.
>
>If you're not interested in opinions don't read them and pass on by.

For some reason I thought that the answer to my question would not
strain anyone's brain. Look at your desktop. If you had to replace it
with a laptop what would you purchase? As far as Usenet goes, I
expected that if 30 people answered and 1 was question-specific I had
the right to comment that those not interested in it pass on. As far
as your last comment goes, I do it every day because I can read a
question and decide if I have something germane to add. Otherwise, I
pass on by.

Chuck Pinnegar wrote:

> On 28 Jun 2005 14:51:37 GMT, CeeBee <ceebeechester@start.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >Chuck Pinnegar <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:
> >
> >> I'm not
> >> interested in your opinion on questions I don't ask. If you have
> >> no opinion on it then pass on by.
> >
> >If you think Usenet was developed for you to let people jump through
> >your hoop at your command, you still have a lot to learn.
> >
> >If you're not interested in opinions don't read them and pass on by.
>
> For some reason I thought that the answer to my question would not
> strain anyone's brain. Look at your desktop. If you had to replace it
> with a laptop what would you purchase? As far as Usenet goes, I
> expected that if 30 people answered and 1 was question-specific I had
> the right to comment that those not interested in it pass on. As far
> as your last comment goes, I do it every day because I can read a
> question and decide if I have something germane to add. Otherwise, I
> pass on by.

For me, there is no laptop that can replace my desktop.

Have you considered the possibility that others feel the same way?

Notan

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:37:09 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

>>I don't know what was so hard about this question. Its straight
>>forward yet only one of 23 replies answered it. I'm not interested in
>>your opinion on questions I don't ask. If you have no opinion on it
>>then pass on by.
>
>Nope
>
>Sorry but you don't "own" Usenet

How old are you? I bet your the type that when a poster asks "What's
the best AMD desktop gaming machine?" answers "You don't want a
desktop, you want an HP laptop that does the same job." That's
because people like you are uninterested in what other posters
actually want. You are all wrapped up in your own world trying to
twist every post into a reflection of your own opinion. Pitiful!

Chuck Pinnegar wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:50:44 -0400, William P. N. Smith wrote:
>
>>Chuck Pinnegar <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>>I don't know what was so hard about this question.
>>
>>>Suppose you had to replace your
>>>desktop with a laptop. Which one - ignore cost - would you choose?
>>
>>The reason you don't like the answers is that the question is too
>>vague. What are your current desktop requirements or specs and what
>>would be the requirements of your laptop?
>>
>>And "cost is no object" is also a non-starter, I can get nearly
>>desktop-equivalent horsepower from a laptop by buying a $10K desktop
>>and using a laptop as a wireless display client. When you say "Ignore
>>Cost" is $15K all right?
>
> Not to be argumentative but since I'm not going to get an answer to my
> question lets look at your reply. You say my question was too vague.
> You don't need my requirements because I purposely asked you what
> laptop YOU would buy. Its YOUR desktop that is to be replaced. The
> same with your comments about the $15K laptop-desktop combo. If you
> really think that that comment relates to my question don't make a
> speeech - list it!
>
> Why do you answer newsgroup questions? People who sincerely want
> help/opinion come here seeking same only to run into people like you
> whose only purpose is to be obstructive. Why couldn't you just type HP
> 1234XYZ and move on?

There is no laptop from HP or any other vendor that would provide the same
functionality as my current system. Why are you having so much trouble
grasping that notion?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Chuck Pinnegar <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>You are all wrapped up in your own world trying to
>twist every post into a reflection of your own opinion. Pitiful!

And here I thought Chuck was the one upset with the "there isn't a
laptop that could replace my desktop" answers, and instead was trying
to get people to answer his question his way. Whooda thunkit?

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>Chuck Pinnegar wrote:
>> You don't need my requirements because I purposely asked you what
>> laptop YOU would buy. Its YOUR desktop that is to be replaced.

And when I replied that there _IS_ no laptop that could replace my
desktop (nor a desktop that could replace my laptop) _you_ replied
that my criteria were invalid, as your market research showed that
most people don't need powerful machines, machines with large disk
drives, or gaming video cards.

OK, let's try again, you tell me what answer you want, I'll give it to
you, and then you'll be happy, right?

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:38:33 -0400, William P. N. Smith wrote:

>"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>>Chuck Pinnegar wrote:
>>> You don't need my requirements because I purposely asked you what
>>> laptop YOU would buy. Its YOUR desktop that is to be replaced.
>
>****And when I replied that there _IS_ no laptop that could replace my
>desktop (nor a desktop that could replace my laptop) _you_ replied
>that my criteria were invalid, as your market research showed that
>most people don't need powerful machines, machines with large disk
>drives, or gaming video cards.****
>
>OK, let's try again, you tell me what answer you want, I'll give it to
>you, and then you'll be happy, right?

You must have been corresponding with my doppelganger. First, your
answer above, which you never gave, suits me fine. So does that given
by another poster who commented similarly. I conclude that one might
have to be very careful before attempting to replace his desktop with
a laptop alternative. For one who has no knowledge of that process
that is a worthwhile piece of data.
With respect to your comment between the **** signs above, do you
always make up other posters comments before you respond? That's a
nasty habit Will. People will begin to suspect your veracity. With
respect to the answer I want, simply give me your honest opinion, and
if that is not possible, pass on by. That will make me happy.

ceebee

Chuck Pinnegar <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

> For some reason I thought that the answer to my question would
> not strain anyone's brain. Look at your desktop. If you had to
> replace it with a laptop what would you purchase?

You have received multple answers to that question. The majority of
those answers was "none".

It's more simple than you think. Unless you hold the belief that
people only have the obligation to answer you things you want to
hear, even if it's not their opinion.

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***

CeeBee wrote:

> Chuck Pinnegar <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:
>

>> For some reason I thought that the answer to my question would
>> not strain anyone's brain. Look at your desktop. If you had to
>> replace it with a laptop what would you purchase?
>
> You have received multple answers to that question. The majority of
> those answers was "none".
>
> It's more simple than you think. Unless you hold the belief that
> people only have the obligation to answer you things you want to
> hear, even if it's not their opinion.

His viewpoint seems to be that one should not answer him at all unless one
agrees with him.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:46:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>CeeBee wrote:
>
>> Chuck Pinnegar <cpinnegar@cogeco.ca> wrote in comp.sys.laptops:
>>

>>> For some reason I thought that the answer to my question would
>>> not strain anyone's brain. Look at your desktop. If you had to
>>> replace it with a laptop what would you purchase?
>>
>> You have received multple answers to that question. The majority of
>> those answers was "none".

Perhaps my ISP is purposely holding back all these messages. Either it
is a conspiracy or you can't count. Take your pick.

>> It's more simple than you think. Unless you hold the belief that
>> people only have the obligation to answer you things you want to
>> hear, even if it's not their opinion.

Ah, a sneaky comment - love it. You transliterated my comment about
"pass on by" to mean "only give me an answer I want." And, all the
time you knew that was not my meaning. Tch, tch!

>His viewpoint seems to be that one should not answer him at all unless one
>agrees with him.

Here and above. Lets see, I asked a question which, in the nature of
questions, implies that I don't have the answer. Logically, how would
one then go about agreeing with me and still answer? Of course, one
would answer a completely different question, which is what you and
99% of the other posters did!

Chuck Pinnegar wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:46:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>>CeeBee wrote:

>>> You have received multple answers to that question. The majority of
>>> those answers was "none".
>
> Perhaps my ISP is purposely holding back all these messages. Either it
> is a conspiracy or you can't count. Take your pick.
>
>>> It's more simple than you think. Unless you hold the belief that
>>> people only have the obligation to answer you things you want to
>>> hear, even if it's not their opinion.
>
> Ah, a sneaky comment - love it. You transliterated my comment about
> "pass on by" to mean "only give me an answer I want." And, all the
> time you knew that was not my meaning. Tch, tch!
>
>>His viewpoint seems to be that one should not answer him at all unless one
>>agrees with him.
>
> Here and above. Lets see, I asked a question which, in the nature of
> questions, implies that I don't have the answer. Logically, how would
> one then go about agreeing with me and still answer? Of course, one
> would answer a completely different question, which is what you and
> 99% of the other posters did!

Yep, you're still doing it. When someone tells you that they can't answer
your question as posed and explain why, that is not "answering a completely
different question".

If someone depends on features of his desktop machine that are not available
in any laptop and cannot do what he is normally paid to do if he must
exchange his desktop for a laptop, then the only real answer would be that
he would be forced, in your scenario, to find a different line of work that
either did not require a computer or was within the capabilities of a
laptop, and in the latter case he would then have to select a machine based
on his changed situation.

You seem to be assuming that everyone's necessities are such that they can
just on a whim toss their existing machine and replace it with a laptop
with no cost other than the money to pay for it. That is not the case, and
your pretending that it is does not make it so.

Perhaps if you explained why you wanted to know this someone might be able
to provide you an answer more suited to _your_ necessities.

As it sits you've put us in the position of one who is asked what model of
motorcycle they would choose to replace their pickup truck and when we tell
you that you can't replace a pickup truck with a motorcycle you get upset
and claim that we are not answering your question.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:37:45 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>Chuck Pinnegar wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:46:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"
>> <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>> Perhaps my ISP is purposely holding back all these messages. Either it
>> is a conspiracy or you can't count. Take your pick.

>> Ah, a sneaky comment - love it. You transliterated my comment about
>> "pass on by" to mean "only give me an answer I want." And, all the
>> time you knew that was not my meaning. Tch, tch!
>>
>>>His viewpoint seems to be that one should not answer him at all unless one
>>>agrees with him.
>>
>> Here and above. Lets see, I asked a question which, in the nature of
>> questions, implies that I don't have the answer. Logically, how would
>> one then go about agreeing with me and still answer? Of course, one
>> would answer a completely different question, which is what you and
>> 99% of the other posters did!
>
>Yep, you're still doing it. When someone tells you that they can't answer
>your question as posed and explain why, that is not "answering a completely
>different question".

Lets agree to disagree.

>If someone depends on features of his desktop machine that are not available
>in any laptop and cannot do what he is normally paid to do if he must
>exchange his desktop for a laptop, then the only real answer would be that
>he would be forced, in your scenario, to find a different line of work that
>either did not require a computer or was within the capabilities of a
>laptop, and in the latter case he would then have to select a machine based
>on his changed situation.

J. you're reading all kinds of scenarios into a simple question. There
has never been an indication the laptop would be used as a working
machine unless it replaces one. If at that stage you cannot find a
replacement simply say "No laptop can replace my desktop." But, I
clearly said that you "had to" replace your desktop. Surely the
implication is "with the best possible laptop." At that point you
offer your best closest replacement for your desktop. Its really
simple.

>You seem to be assuming that everyone's necessities are such that they can
>just on a whim toss their existing machine and replace it with a laptop
>with no cost other than the money to pay for it. That is not the case, and
>your pretending that it is does not make it so.

This is where the "pass on by" comes into effect. First, this is just
a theoretical question. No one is asking you to give anything except
your opinion on the question asked. Keep your desktop, don't pay
anything for any machine, but answer the question as if you understood
its implications. Its just silly for you to suddenly infer that my
asking the question suddenly became a clarion call for the junking of
your desktop.

>Perhaps if you explained why you wanted to know this someone might be able
>to provide you an answer more suited to _your_ necessities.

You got all the data you needed to answer my question. I didn't expect
a dissertation, just your opinion on a good desktop replacement. All
it took to answewr was about 20 keystrokes.

>As it sits you've put us in the position of one who is asked what model of
>motorcycle they would choose to replace their pickup truck and when we tell
>you that you can't replace a pickup truck with a motorcycle you get upset
>and claim that we are not answering your question.

Who's upset? This is just an interesting debate for me. For the life
of me I just cannot understand why anyone would waste his time making
up an answer to a question no one asked when there is an unanswered
question on the floor.

Chuck Pinnegar wrote:

> [...]
>>and your pretending that it is does not make it so.
>
> This is where the "pass on by" comes into effect. First, this is just
> a theoretical question. No one is asking you to give anything except
> your opinion on the question asked. Keep your desktop, don't pay
> anything for any machine, but answer the question as if you understood
> its implications. Its just silly for you to suddenly infer that my
> asking the question suddenly became a clarion call for the junking of
> your desktop.
>
>>Perhaps if you explained why you wanted to know this someone might be able
>>to provide you an answer more suited to _your_ necessities.
>
> You got all the data you needed to answer my question. I didn't expect
> a dissertation, just your opinion on a good desktop replacement. All
> it took to answewr was about 20 keystrokes.

If your question was "what in your opinion is a 'desktop replacment' laptop"
then that is the question that you should have asked. Posing it as "if you
_had_ to replace your desktop with a laptop" moves the discussion into
different territory.

>>As it sits you've put us in the position of one who is asked what model of
>>motorcycle they would choose to replace their pickup truck and when we
>>tell you that you can't replace a pickup truck with a motorcycle you get
>>upset and claim that we are not answering your question.
>
> Who's upset? This is just an interesting debate for me. For the life
> of me I just cannot understand why anyone would waste his time making
> up an answer to a question no one asked when there is an unanswered
> question on the floor.

And you're still doing it. If the answer is anything other than some brand
and model of laptop then you don't want to hear it.

Bored now.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:31:04 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
<snip>

>And you're still doing it. If the answer is anything other than some brand
>and model of laptop then you don't want to hear it.

By George, I think you've got it!

>Bored now.

Poor baby.