Epson R200 ink question - UK

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 12, 2005 6:45:39 PM

Hello

Yesterday I bought an Epson R200 and I am impressed by both the speed and
the quality.

I have been looking for a source of cheap Epson ink cartridges and the
lowest price for genuine inks is a little over £9 a cartridge.

There are a lot of compatible cartridges on offer. Does anyone know if they
are any good? More importantly, will they damage my printer?

Any recommendations anyone?

Thanks

John
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 6:45:40 PM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:45:39 -0000, "Eatmorepies"
<stopthere@lineone.net> wrote:

>Hello
>
>Yesterday I bought an Epson R200 and I am impressed by both the speed and
>the quality.
>
>I have been looking for a source of cheap Epson ink cartridges and the
>lowest price for genuine inks is a little over £9 a cartridge.
>
>There are a lot of compatible cartridges on offer. Does anyone know if they
>are any good? More importantly, will they damage my printer?
>
>Any recommendations anyone?

I would look toward the established third-party
ink vendors, for example...

mediastreet.com
weink.com
carrotink.com
inkjetgoodies.com
mrinkjet.com

Specifically, I would stay away from the
outrageously cheap specials on eBay.

Also, consider buying Epson carts from a
reputable wholesaler, like Atlex.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphot.com
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 6:45:40 PM

Eatmorepies wrote:
> Hello
>
> Yesterday I bought an Epson R200 and I am impressed by both the speed
and
> the quality.
>
> I have been looking for a source of cheap Epson ink cartridges and
the
> lowest price for genuine inks is a little over £9 a cartridge.
>
> There are a lot of compatible cartridges on offer. Does anyone know
if they
> are any good? More importantly, will they damage my printer?
>
> Any recommendations anyone?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

John,
You purchased a printer with very specific ink requirements. Folks may
advertise but there is no other ink on the market with the same
qualities for an Epson R series. The Epson ink gives you prints that
are great on glossy and last for longer than high quailty photo prints.
What is offered on the web as substitutes are cheap dye ink sets with
no life expectancy. You bought a printer that nothing in its class
existed a year ago, why screw it up.

Tom
March 12, 2005 9:07:00 PM

Eatmorepies wrote:
> Hello
>
> Yesterday I bought an Epson R200 and I am impressed by both the speed and
> the quality.
>
> I have been looking for a source of cheap Epson ink cartridges and the
> lowest price for genuine inks is a little over £9 a cartridge.
>
> There are a lot of compatible cartridges on offer. Does anyone know if they
> are any good? More importantly, will they damage my printer?
>
> Any recommendations anyone?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

I get mine here:
http://www.valueshop.co.uk/
£8.33 ea post free, excellent service.
I would never use compatible, have done with photo 750 and they stuffed
it completely (jettec), and the prints smelled like cat p*ss.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 9:40:55 PM

On 12 Mar 2005 15:14:22 -0800, "tomm101" <monego@valley.net> wrote:

>You purchased a printer with very specific ink requirements. Folks may
>advertise but there is no other ink on the market with the same
>qualities for an Epson R series. The Epson ink gives you prints that
>are great on glossy and last for longer than high quailty photo prints.
>What is offered on the web as substitutes are cheap dye ink sets with
>no life expectancy. You bought a printer that nothing in its class
>existed a year ago, why screw it up.

The R200 uses dye inks, not Ultrachromes.
I don't see where Epson is making any claims
about archival prints from the R200.

There are lots of reputable ink vendors on
the internet. But (maybe it's just me) I'd
stay away from the eBay vendors, and stick
with outifts like carrot ink or mediastreet.

(Ie., outfits with a know presence and track
record.)

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:01:14 AM

http://www.peripower.com/ Has anyone tried these cartridges? I would be
interested in any opinions.

Marten
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:23:28 AM

"tomm101" <monego@valley.net> wrote in message

Eatmorepies wrote:
> You bought a printer that nothing in its class existed a year ago, why
> screw it up.

Because its cheaper to buy a new printer (with a full set of inks) than it
is to buy a set of Epson inks? Thats one of the main reasons as I see it.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:38:54 AM

One has to be careful with 3rd party inks, especially with Epson
printers. Epson printers are more prone to clogging. That said many
people have had some luck with Formulabs and MSI inks.

rafe bustin wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:45:39 -0000, "Eatmorepies"
><stopthere@lineone.net> wrote:
>

>>Hello
>>
>>Yesterday I bought an Epson R200 and I am impressed by both the speed and
>>the quality.
>>
>>I have been looking for a source of cheap Epson ink cartridges and the
>>lowest price for genuine inks is a little over £9 a cartridge.
>>
>>There are a lot of compatible cartridges on offer. Does anyone know if they
>>are any good? More importantly, will they damage my printer?
>>
>>Any recommendations anyone?
>>

>I would look toward the established third-party
>ink vendors, for example...
>
>mediastreet.com
>weink.com
>carrotink.com
>inkjetgoodies.com
>mrinkjet.com
>
>Specifically, I would stay away from the
>outrageously cheap specials on eBay.
>
>Also, consider buying Epson carts from a
>reputable wholesaler, like Atlex.
>

>rafe b.
>http://www.terrapinphot.com

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 4:44:32 AM

What specific software did you use to create your site; especially the
ability to vary the size of the photos?

rafe bustin wrote:

>On 12 Mar 2005 15:14:22 -0800, "tomm101" <monego@valley.net> wrote:
>

>>You purchased a printer with very specific ink requirements. Folks may
>>advertise but there is no other ink on the market with the same
>>qualities for an Epson R series. The Epson ink gives you prints that
>>are great on glossy and last for longer than high quailty photo prints.
>>What is offered on the web as substitutes are cheap dye ink sets with
>>no life expectancy. You bought a printer that nothing in its class
>>existed a year ago, why screw it up.
>>

>The R200 uses dye inks, not Ultrachromes.
>I don't see where Epson is making any claims
>about archival prints from the R200.
>
>There are lots of reputable ink vendors on
>the internet. But (maybe it's just me) I'd
>stay away from the eBay vendors, and stick
>with outifts like carrot ink or mediastreet.
>
>(Ie., outfits with a know presence and track
>record.)
>

>rafe b.
>http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 4:44:33 AM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 01:44:32 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>What specific software did you use to create your site; especially the
>ability to vary the size of the photos?

It's strictly home-brew. A C program (which I wrote)
generates HTML and Javascript, from a simple database
(The "database" is just a text file.)

There are additional programs (also home-brew) that
invoke ImageMagick to size the photos and add the
simulated "mats" and drop-shadows.

It's quite a pain in terms of upkeep, which is why
I haven't updated it in over a year.

A better way would be to use server-side code, eg. PHP.

Resizing of images is trivial with Javascript.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 7:23:04 AM

I bought preipower's continuous ink for my cx4600 from a guy in Canada and
found it to be reliable. Set up was just like replacing cartridges. There
were two holes on the top of each cartridge. You have to remove the plugs
which are close to you when installed while you should leave the others as
plugged. Refill is easy. Just inject into the opened holes using the
syringes provided. Each ink comes with 30ml additional ink. I expect that
the sponge will not function after a few months. HOwever, for about $75, I
think it is a better deal than any other kind.
I do not know if their chips have to be resetted. Since I have a
resetter, I did it for two cartridges anyway.
I do not expect ink quality will be the same especially for dura-
character, which is resistance to water.

April 2, 2005 7:23:58 PM

I also bought Inktec refills for my Lexmark Z605 for only 15 euro.It's also
easy, you open wider one hole at the top of the cartridge, and you inject
ink by the syringe.It's 4 fillings, and the salesman told me that after 6-7
times the cartridge needs replacing with an original one.I never print
prints at home, because commercial prints cost only 30 cents from any
digital original.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> I bought preipower's continuous ink for my cx4600 from a guy in Canada and
> found it to be reliable. Set up was just like replacing cartridges. There
> were two holes on the top of each cartridge. You have to remove the plugs
> which are close to you when installed while you should leave the others as
> plugged. Refill is easy. Just inject into the opened holes using the
> syringes provided. Each ink comes with 30ml additional ink. I expect that
> the sponge will not function after a few months. HOwever, for about $75,
> think it is a better deal than any other kind.
> I do not know if their chips have to be resetted. Since I have a
> resetter, I did it for two cartridges anyway.
> I do not expect ink quality will be the same especially for dura-
> character, which is resistance to water.

July 28, 2008 7:44:47 AM

I think you will be keeping it for a long time,The speed and quality is more important.
Nishantha
Epson T048

!