Attach Anti-Static Clip

the stobe

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello, I have this anti-static mat that has a clip to attach onto some metal piece. Before you say to attach it to my case, my case is fully painted metal. So where do I attach it? I read online to attach it to a screw that is in the case. Will that provide enough safety? Also, do you think I would need an anti-static wrist band too? I really want to make sure nothing goes wrong. And if you need to know, I have the Corsair 600T case. Thanks.

popatim

Titan
You normally earth ground the mat by connectiong to the screw in the outlet cover or a prong into the earthground of the wall plug. In the US that would be the round-ish hole in the wall outlet. You will need to verify that the plug does have earthground. Yes you still need to wear a wrist or ankle strap.
IMO the wrist/ankle strap is way more important that the mat.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I wouldn't recommend wrist straps unless you have carpet in your home or if it is very dry and humid outside. If you just touch metal before handling your components then you'll be able to discharge any charge on yourself, like touching the metal legs on a table.