Sign in with
Your question

P9X79 Pro and SSD question

Last response: in Motherboards
June 27, 2012 12:57:11 AM

Hello All,

I have a Vertex 4 SSD onboard using the Asus SSD Caching tool. Installed fine, works great.

My question is related to the SSD itself; knowing that TRIM, garbage collection, and other things impact the performance and longevity of these SSDs, what am I actually doing to this drive by using it as a cache?

If I decided later that I want to decouple the drive and use it as a data drive by re-formatting later, are there going to be any long term consequences?

Thanks,
R

More about : p9x79 pro ssd question

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 27, 2012 12:56:54 PM

rhyalus said:
My question is related to the SSD itself; knowing that TRIM, garbage collection, and other things impact the performance and longevity of these SSDs, what am I actually doing to this drive by using it as a cache?

If I decided later that I want to decouple the drive and use it as a data drive by re-formatting later, are there going to be any long term consequences?

As a Cache you are tearing it up very quickly and the smaller the faster.

Long-term the SSD will fail before the HDD.

IF you ever change it over then SSD Secure Erase - http://blog.ocztechnology.com/?p=367

Otherwise IMO get a large e.g. 128GB or larger SSD or an overprovisioned SSD that's meant to be used as a Cache e.g. OCZ Synapse Cache.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 27, 2012 1:28:09 PM

Hi there,

It would be better to use it as a primary drive, not a cache .

Trim keeps it in check. Even if u would use it for couple of years, the drive will function almost like new, after the format.

Its a new drive, so u have nothing to worry about for while : )
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 27, 2012 1:45:09 PM

The 'best' solution is a RAM Cache, and I've never been a fanboy of SSD Cache -- Instead ever since X58 -> X79 present all of my rigs are SSD (OS, Apps & Working Data) + HDD (Data storage: Video, Music, Data, and majority of Games). Plus I RAID 1 the HDD's and @ home use Windows Server (~ NAS or a Backup Drive).

A Dedicated Gaming rig - Dedicated Steam SSD and/or SSD - portability (Steam) and faster Load times SSD in general not to mention mini load/save lags in some games e.g. BF3 even on an SSD is aggravating.
February 26, 2013 8:25:30 PM

rhyalus said:
Hello All,

I have a Vertex 4 SSD onboard using the Asus SSD Caching tool. Installed fine, works great.

Thanks,
R

Hi R:

I hope I'm not breaking etiquette here, but in several days of searching/asking here and elsewhere I haven't been able to find an answer to my problem. As you, I also have a P9X79 board (but the Deluxe version) and a Vertex 4 SSD. I want to use the Vertex as a plain boot disk (not cache, not RAID). I have not been to get the BIOS to recognize the Vertex. I have tried different cables and different SATA ports; Regular HDDs work fine with the same slots/cables. You apparently seem to have been successful in getting the Vertex to work with your system. May I ask what your BIOS configuration is?

Perhaps you can reply to this privately at ck70313@gmail.com.

Again, I apologize if I'm breaking etiquette here, but I'm pretty desperate.
!