Sign in with
Your question

Best processors for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements

Last response: in CPUs
October 4, 2011 6:02:09 AM

I'm trying to decide on a new build or an Asus GX laptop(desktop replacement - with two hard drives as I like to keep my OS on one drive and my data on another).

I am currently running a homebrew with an 820D processor, 4 gig, XP Pro, GEForce 9400GT with one gig(I think) and a laptop with a Pentuium Dual T2390 @ 1.86gHz, 4gigs. It's a Dell Inspiron 1525.

I don't play games.

Will I see a significant decrease in time in Photoshop and Elements in making menus available, finish drawing the image (currently there is a delay in which the image appears but it is blurry but sharpens a few seconds later), and just generally speed in saving, etc.

I'm only interested in i5 and i7. The i7 I'm thing of is the 2600. I don't really overclock but I might if it was easy so maybe the 2600k.

Basically the question is the i7-2600K overkill, will the speed of Photoshop, etc, in a laptop with an i5 or i7 be significant.

What I probably should do is build an i7-2600k and buy a lower end i5 laptop.

Anyway, thoughts on this rambling message would be appreciated.

No flaming please.

Thanks

a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
October 4, 2011 11:55:33 AM

The i7 laptop will certainly make a very very significant change in Photoshop,ect. Bundle it with a SSD and 8 Gigs of DDR3 a 64bit OS and I really don't think there much that will match it out there of course except the FirePro and Quadro.
m
l
October 4, 2011 6:50:26 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. A couple more questions please.
1. Will it make much difference if I get the i7 2600k as opposed to the i7 cpu that is used in most laptops (2630M - I think).
2. Will I be giving up much performance if I opt for the i5 instead (for monetary reasons).

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
October 4, 2011 8:38:02 PM

The i7 is hyperthreaded.(so you end up with 8 logical cores) The i5 is not.
While both are very fast processors and will do what you need to do quite well, the i7 with HT will best the i5 in Photoshop.
Here is a review with some benchmarks, you will have to make up your own mind if the extra cash is worth it.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...
m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
October 4, 2011 11:00:05 PM

Just wanted to point out that woot has an i7 laptop ,2630 I think, (6gb ram, 750hdd, 525M graphics +Intel HD3000 graphics, blu-ray, - for 650 today.
m
l
October 4, 2011 11:12:00 PM

What you want are Xeon processors. You can run photoshop on i5/i7, buts its gonna take time.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
October 4, 2011 11:23:45 PM

leandrodafontoura said:
What you want are Xeon processors. You can run photoshop on i5/i7, buts its gonna take time.

There is no significant difference between a Xeon and an i7, in many instances the Sandy Bridge i7 will be faster. Xeons were made for servers and workstations, multiple processor units. They do have superior power saving features to the I7, but nothing earth shattering.
m
l
October 5, 2011 12:19:55 AM

Thanks for the response. One more question? How does the i7 mobile processors compare with the i7 for desktops.
m
l
October 5, 2011 12:21:56 AM

Ohboy108 said:
Thanks for getting back to me. A couple more questions please.
1. Will it make much difference if I get the i7 2600k as opposed to the i7 cpu that is used in most laptops (2630M - I think).
2. Will I be giving up much performance if I opt for the i5 instead (for monetary reasons).

Thanks

Keep in mind if you go i5 in a laptop, its almost always not quad core. Its dual core with two hyperthreads, but not quad core. i5 is quad core in desktops. In addition, theres a significant difference in clock speed and synthetic benchmarks between the two:

i7 2600k: 3.4 Ghz, 3.8 Ghz with turboboost 9968 passmark rating
i7 2630QM 2.00 Ghz, 2.9 ghz with turboboost, 6337 passmark rating

Speed though is relative to what you have now, which either one will be lightyears ahead and run photoshop very well. I think your good dropping to an i5 in desktops, but in laptops, just keep in mind your going back to dual core.

I personally am not a fan of the 17" beastly laptops though, mainly because self repairs are difficult. At least with a custom build desktop, parts are easier to replace. Price for power, desktops almost always win. If the portability is going to be really useful for you though, I'd consider the laptop.

Anyway, example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Desktop+/+Intel%2... $599.99.

Closest equivalent (technically not given the comparison of processors above): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+Laptop+/+In... $799.99
m
l
October 5, 2011 3:43:52 AM

The repair issue and cost is what leads me to do a build but the desktop just takes up so much room in a small computer room. Asus has a nice laptop with two drives but I won't be able to fix it and it's expensive. A decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the info you gave. It's helpful, especially the passmark ratings between the 2630M and the 2600K.
m
l
October 5, 2011 4:21:58 AM

jitpublisher said:
There is no significant difference between a Xeon and an i7, in many instances the Sandy Bridge i7 will be faster. Xeons were made for servers and workstations, multiple processor units. They do have superior power saving features to the I7, but nothing earth shattering.

There is a reason why Xeons sell for $1500

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
October 5, 2011 4:44:37 AM

Also remember the 2600K is going to drain your battery off pretty fast as in comparison to the 2630M there's also a heat factor to keep in mind. So depending on the environment and the build that you want to build.
Between the first post and the last post by you, I am in a serious dilemma, what sort of a build do you want to make, a customs laptop or a desktop?
m
l
October 5, 2011 7:41:35 AM

alyoshka said:
Also remember the 2600K is going to drain your battery off pretty fast as in comparison to the 2630M there's also a heat factor to keep in mind. So depending on the environment and the build that you want to build.
Between the first post and the last post by you, I am in a serious dilemma, what sort of a build do you want to make, a customs laptop or a desktop?

Umm, I think your forgetting the 2600k is a DESKTOP processor? So, what battery issue?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
October 5, 2011 7:57:00 AM

He feels a desktop is going to use too much space in a small computer room. Read the quote you just used, I'm confused at to what sort of a build is he planning to make.... dig?
He also says this
"1. Will it make much difference if I get the i7 2600k as opposed to the i7 cpu that is used in most laptops (2630M - I think). "

"The repair issue and cost is what leads me to do a build but the desktop just takes up so much room in a small computer room. Asus has a nice laptop with two drives but I won't be able to fix it and it's expensive."

That was his last post that caused the confusion.....so if he is planning on using the 2600K for a customs laptop..... then the battery does very much come into play.
m
l
October 7, 2011 4:12:52 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm not sure which way I'm going on this yet and hence all my questions...and thanks for the answers and suggestions. Ideally, I'd like a desktop i72600k build and an i7 or at least i5 laptop. But since I can't afford both now I'm trying to decide if the lack of "fixability" and less powerful processor are worth the trade off.

Thanks again.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
October 7, 2011 5:38:26 AM

Take one step at a time, get your self the i7 Laptop first. Then if you have the dough to spare, we will work out the ideal system in your budget for the programs to run fast and efficiently.
m
l
October 7, 2011 7:21:26 AM

Ohboy108 said:
I'm trying to decide on a new build or an Asus GX laptop(desktop replacement - with two hard drives as I like to keep my OS on one drive and my data on another).

I am currently running a homebrew with an 820D processor, 4 gig, XP Pro, GEForce 9400GT with one gig(I think) and a laptop with a Pentuium Dual T2390 @ 1.86gHz, 4gigs. It's a Dell Inspiron 1525.

I don't play games.

Will I see a significant decrease in time in Photoshop and Elements in making menus available, finish drawing the image (currently there is a delay in which the image appears but it is blurry but sharpens a few seconds later), and just generally speed in saving, etc.

I'm only interested in i5 and i7. The i7 I'm thing of is the 2600. I don't really overclock but I might if it was easy so maybe the 2600k.

Basically the question is the i7-2600K overkill, will the speed of Photoshop, etc, in a laptop with an i5 or i7 be significant.

What I probably should do is build an i7-2600k and buy a lower end i5 laptop.

Anyway, thoughts on this rambling message would be appreciated.

No flaming please.

Thanks

I suggest a desktop with i7 2600k for best performance and it is cheaper than a laptop with ssd.If u chose i7 on a laptop it will draw all battery power less than an hour. :sol:  :sol:  :sol: 
m
l
!