Need some input please

Aszuna

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Hi all. I'm in the process of researching what I should use to build a new gaming pc after years of playing on a Mac. I'll preface this by telling you I know next to nothing about computers, only what I've found reading reviews and articles here and other places. I'm listing what I've come up with so far, hoping I've managed to keep everything compatible with each other. Please offer your suggestions about compatibility and upgrade potential, I need the help!

I live in the US
Don't know enough to have brand preference :(
PC will be used primarily for gaming, surfing, storage pics, music, documents
Don't need mouse or keyboard

Here goes:

Antec 1200 V3
Intel Core i5-2500k Sandy Bridge
Gigabyte GA Z68X UD3H B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Crucial RealSSD C300 SSD 64GB (2 were recommended but think one is adequate, will only have Win 7 Ultimate and 2 MMORPG's on it)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1T (retail)
Antec CP-1000 ATX12V/EPS12V
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (Arctic Silver 5?)
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) (better using 4x2?)
EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (only one initially)
Cheesy DVD RW
Samsung PX2370 2ms Full HD LED BackLight Monitor

My objective to to come up with something that will be upgradeable in the future. I know it may be overkill overkill right now, but my thinking was for potential rather than current need. I know I'll be totally frustrated when I try to put this thing together but if I can eliminate incompatible stuff on the front end, so much the better!

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Solution
Might want to consider the Crucial M4 as well for SSD.

Make sure your memory kit is 1.5V kit.

The caviar black is expensive and Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is faster and cheaper. So consider changing to that.

The good part about the 1000w PSU is that you could run GTX580 SLI with it if you wanted to :)

rvilkman

Distinguished
Might want to consider the Crucial M4 as well for SSD.

Make sure your memory kit is 1.5V kit.

The caviar black is expensive and Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is faster and cheaper. So consider changing to that.

The good part about the 1000w PSU is that you could run GTX580 SLI with it if you wanted to :)

Solution
G

Agreed, Get a 500W or 650W Corsair PSU (most reliable = corsair imo), Next to that, get 2x4GB ram, getting 4x2GB is just a waste of extra slots for future upgrade. Your GPU Is okay i guess, I'm not an expert on GPU's.

Btw your case is kind of un-needed for what parts you have, try doing a mid-tower case like the cooler master 430 or something like that!!!

Aszuna

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Thanks for letting me know about the psu! I'd love a 27" monitor, any suggestions I might check out? Went to Best Buy to take a look, but the settings on the display models were all weird (according to the sales guy) and I couldn't really tell anything about the picture quality.

Aszuna

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I was at one point of this process looking at the Cooler Master HAF 922 but was concerned about room in the case. I am the master of noob! I'll check out the 430 too.

Aszuna

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Thanks all for the input! Helped a bunch. I went with the Cooler Master HAF midtower case, and upped the SSD to 128GB (hadn't looked at the program sizes). Dropped the PSU to 750, which is still too much for now but looking into future. Changed to the Samsung Spinpoint 1T. Thanks again...now to order and start pulling my hair out ;)