QUESTION: Bad GPU Green Screen??

footblfrk97

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Hi everyone I was wondering what your thoughts were on my situation. Last night I was playing Bad Company 2 for about 1hr and a half and when I quit the game my desktop went all funky colors, leading me to believe there was a problem with the gpu... possibly artifacting. Today I opened up my case and blew out the dust... which there was a lot of(I live in a college dorm room). I reseated everything RAM CPU GPU, and put more thermal past on my CPU. I tried 1 stick of RAM in my 1st slot and I got 3 beeps (not sure they were very close together). I then moved that stick of ram to the other slot and booted up without any artifacting.

system specs:

amd x4 940
evga 9800gtx+
4GB ddr2 800 corsair
750 watt corsair psu
gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H rev 1.3

This is a picture i took from my phone to show what the screen looked like..
tnCqA

Tonight i plan on running memtest prime95 and kombuster to stress test all components. If anyone has any suggestions Id really appreciate it

Thanks!!

Solution
that is definatly a gcard problem, most likely heat related. you can use furmark to stress the card and watch the temps go up to check stability, but make sure its fully dust free and all old thermal paste was removed and replaced. Iv never known ram to effect the colour of the screen but then id have thought the post at start would detect a defective stick.

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
that is definatly a gcard problem, most likely heat related. you can use furmark to stress the card and watch the temps go up to check stability, but make sure its fully dust free and all old thermal paste was removed and replaced. Iv never known ram to effect the colour of the screen but then id have thought the post at start would detect a defective stick.

Solution

Are you using a 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 Memory Kit that has Two 2GB memory modules? Are you currently using one memory module or two?

Is your EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ now working properly or is it still producing artifacts?

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

yes i had a 8800gs before my 88gt and that crapped out playing crysis under load and would change red to green and black gliching before it locked but it would always do it, the card never went over 75'c. The res a known fault that nvidia gpu's based on the g92 core have a high faliure rate with the gpu having crappy solder joints due to low temp melting solder. :pt1cable:

footblfrk97

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
thanks for all the feedback guys!! It was just a dust issue... at least thats what it seems like so far. I have both of my sticks of ram back in, and i downclocked the gpu. temps are stable at 50c for both the cpu and gpu. Thanks for all the input I guess i just need to clean out my case more often especially being away at college in a dorm room :D !! I'll update if I have anymore problems