Your question

What caused my mobo and CPU to fail?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
October 4, 2011 11:08:00 AM

Hi there, I recently built a new system with an I5 CPU and Asus p8p67 LE motherboard.
After installing Windows and drivers, I opened up a game to test it out. After about an hour, the PC just shut off. No shutdown process or anything. I tried to reboot but nothing. I have since replaces the motherboard and CPU which were both found faulty and the system works again but I am not sure what caused the failure. I am now using a p8z68-v LX motherboard and the same model CPU.

Do you think the power supply fried the two components or maybe the motherboard fried the CPU?
I am quite knowledgeable with computers but I am scratching my head on this one. :wahoo: 

More about : caused mobo cpu fail

October 4, 2011 11:18:33 AM

Have you add thermal paste for the CPU? or there was?
October 4, 2011 11:20:47 AM

Wht PSU do you have?
Thermal Paste?
Heatsink mounted correectly?
Real Temp?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 11:23:43 AM

it sounds like you cooked the CPU. did you have thermal paste on there, was the cpu fan spinning. was it overclocked?

if it was the PSU you should have the same issue with the new MOBO & CPU.

its very rare to see a CPU fail due to a problem with it's self. but possiable your board had issues and killed the CPU also.
October 4, 2011 11:27:06 AM

There was thermal paste already on the heatsink. I didn't overclock it at all. I am not sure whether the BIOS might have done something. Turbo boost was enabled.

My PSU is a power cool 550W. http://www.ebuyer.com/226458-powercool-
modular-550w-psu-80-dual-12v-v2-2-high-efficiency-psupc550aubam

I am a bit worried about using it in case it was the PSU that caused the problem.
October 4, 2011 11:30:53 AM

Look it was a new CPU and a new mobo you have just connected it and the paste didn't have time to settle and you have give it Turbo boost "Turbo boost was enabled"
October 4, 2011 11:38:46 AM

I did decide to go for a Corsair but the supplier ran out of stock so I went with my current one. So is it probable that the motherboard had a fault and maybe sent a power surge to the CPU? It seems like the best cause.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 1:06:14 PM

There's really no way of knowing. The manufacturers found the items faulty so common sense would say, well... they were faulty.

It's completely possible to get a bad cpu and it's even more possible to get a faulty board. Although a bad cpu isn't going to slay a board. In my opinion it was probably a bad board with , not-so-good, VM.

Onto question the psu, I wouldn't think so... I say this because you'd probably see more damage to other components, ie: hdd, gpu, cd/dvd, etc.... although you can test the power supply.

Like I said, there really is no way of knowing unless you call the manufacturer and inquire as to what the issue was. Typically they're not very forthcoming but who knows, it's worth a shot if you're really curious.
October 4, 2011 4:06:04 PM

RussK1 said:
There's really no way of knowing. The manufacturers found the items faulty so common sense would say, well... they were faulty.

It's completely possible to get a bad cpu and it's even more possible to get a faulty board. Although a bad cpu isn't going to slay a board. In my opinion it was probably a bad board with , not-so-good, VM.

Onto question the psu, I wouldn't think so... I say this because you'd probably see more damage to other components, ie: hdd, gpu, cd/dvd, etc.... although you can test the power supply.

Like I said, there really is no way of knowing unless you call the manufacturer and inquire as to what the issue was. Typically they're not very forthcoming but who knows, it's worth a shot if you're really curious.

That does make sense. I think you are right. Hopefully it was the board as then I have fixed the problem. It is isolated to the CPU and Mobo though.

Thanks for all of your ideas! :D 
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 4:29:25 PM

Dom1824 said:
That does make sense. I think you are right. Hopefully it was the board as then I have fixed the problem. It is isolated to the CPU and Mobo though.

Thanks for all of your ideas! :D 

You're welcome... suck's that you had the problem to begin with. Doesn't matter where the issue lies, one shouldn't have to experience manufacturing defects... But, we live in a capitalistic society and these are some of the hurdles we face. It's not about quality, but rather who can produce more and cheaper.
October 4, 2011 4:43:30 PM

Definitely. Things just don't last as long as they used to. One last question. How do I change this thread to solved? Lol I am new here. :-)
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2011 4:45:36 PM

Just pick someone for best answer... then the mods will close the thread.

Good luck,

Russ
October 4, 2011 4:47:33 PM

Ok. Thanks for your help.
!