I'd like a video card that can handle GTA IV at highest settings.

Koviko

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I've been upgrading my computer a lot over the past few months and finally upgraded to Windows 7 (mostly because it's impossible to find XP 64-bit). As such, I'm missing most of my games and as I was going to start reinstalling, I found this little gem I never quite finished: GTA IV. However, I'm finding that I can't handle the game at it's highest settings.

I used to have dual GeForce 8800 GTS cards connected with SLI, but while trying to get these beefy monsters back into my PC following some annoying purchases, I accidentally bent and broke one of the little cylinders around the edge of the card (capacitors, I believe?). I'm too scared to put it back into my machine. So, now my graphics are much weaker than they were before. One card is plenty to handle most games I play (Quake Live, Minecraft, and WoW) but makes me sad during GTA IV cut-scenes. :(

tl;dr I want a card that can handle GTA IV with everything turned up. I'd prefer not to spend more than $300, but I'm willing to spend up to $600.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3100 MHz
RAM: 4x4GB (all being properly recognized by Win7 :D )
GPU: GeForce 8800 GTS
PSU: SeaSonic 650W Modular
Resolution: 1920x1080 (also the resolution I'd like GTA IV to run)

I'm sure you guys get lots of requests like this. Hopefully you've got time for mine, too! :)

Solution
You can't unlock the shaders on the 1GB to flash it to a 6970, if that matters to you. Two 6950's at even stock speeds will run anything you throw at them, but so will two 560Ti's and they are cheaper....

qwerty123456

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
The video card is not the problem, as far as GTAIV goes. GTAIV is unfortunately a shitty console port (ignoring the awesome gameplay and modding potential and everything else that makes that okay).
So, most of GTAIV is handled at the CPU level. However a good gpu is still useful for GTAIV and other games as well.
Right now your best bet is probably a 6950 2GB, ~$290.

If you want to go over that you could get a 6970.

I don't really know much about Nvidia cards but I know from experience that those are much more expensive and have less vram.

Koviko

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Does that mean that the Core i5 is inadequate? Are there CPUs that can handle GTA IV properly, or should we blame Rockstar for their lack of optimization?

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

yeah take a look at mafia 2.Looks better than GTA 4,runs better and the NPCs also have realistic motion

Koviko

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
So, I'm looking at the 6950 (2GB) and it looks like a solid buy. Before I go about buying it though, I wanna know if it's worth it to buy 2 since my motherboard claims to be CrossfireX ready. And if I buy 2, should I get 2 2GB ones or 2 1GB ones?

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
You can't unlock the shaders on the 1GB to flash it to a 6970, if that matters to you. Two 6950's at even stock speeds will run anything you throw at them, but so will two 560Ti's and they are cheaper....

Solution

Koviko

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
A quick check of Newegg show 6950s at $239.99 after $20 rebate for 2GB and 560tis at $199.99 after $30 rebate for 1GB. The 2GB 560tis are $280 (the only one I can find).

Do those prices sound about right? I don't want to buy if there's a better deal elsewhere. :)

Koviko

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I ended up getting a 560 Ti. I plan to purchase a second one next month (trying to spread out my expenses), though it may not be necessary. This card runs every cut scene I've encountered so far in highest settings with perfect lip syncing. And for the price, it was a great buy.

Thanks to everyone who helped point me in the right direction! :)

Very easy actually ;)

Do you have one of these
15w_soldering_iron.jpg

And some solder wire?
00002585.jpg

If so it would only take you two or three min to put it back on. Be sure to know what terminals are positive and negative, hint look at the others heheh.

Easy fix, who know you can sell the cards and make up for expenses.

rockitman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
If you had planned on getting 2 6950's just for GTA4, let me tell you it would have been a waste of money.

GTA4 will not play with 6950's in crossfire, you will get an error saying something like you have too much graphics power. I had to disable crossfire to run GTA4.