Problem upgrading memory

G

I'm upgrading a Gateway P5-133 w/ 16mb of RAM to 64mb. I purchased two 32mb SDRAM 'cause the manual says that it doesn't support single 64mb. It has 2 DIMM slots so 2 sticks should be fine. But when I installed the memories, the system only detected 16mb, I checked the BIOS and it states that both memories are detected. I removed one of the memory and I found out that each one is being detected as 8mb (I know that they are 32mb 'cause I used them in a different machine and both worked fine as 32mb). One thing I noticed is that the old 16mb memory have 8 chips and the new 32mb (PNY memories) only have 4. If anybody had this experience before I'll really appreciate your help. I don't want to order memory direct from Gateway 'cause it cost too much.

G

That sounds like an ancient coputer you are trying to upgrade. Back in that time, you had to pair RAM sticks together when installing them. It is possible that the motherboard is so old that it cannot recogonize how much memory is actually in the stick. My only suggestion would be to run a bios and motherboard update and see if that allows the motherboard to recogonize the RAM. Personally you should just get a new computer rather then try to fix something that outdated. If the bios and motherboard updates don't fix it, I would say that you may have to look at getting a newer model motherboard.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is also possible that your system will only run on one or the other. DIMM's or SIMM's....not both. Some old systems are like that. Try that and leave me a message as to what heppens. I'd be interested in knowing.

G

If it is what I think it is, you have an OLD gateway, one of the first atx towers, badge in the centre says P5-133, if so, you are EXTREMELY limited as to the memory it will support as the 168 pin sockets will physically take current modules but the MMU on the mobo will only support the ORIGINAL sdram ( pre PC66 ) and EDO, and you cannot mix them without having timing problems.
The mobo will support capacity differences between modules, but do not support double-sided SDRAM modules ( physically or logically ).
Max capacity is 128Mb EDO or 64Mb original SDRAM.

Hope this is some help.

G

I believe it's actually the one you're describing... it's a tower atx that has the "P5-133" badge on the front... so I guess I'm out of luck then. I found in crucial.com that they are selling a specific memory for that model which cost around $38 for 16mb. And one more thing... what if I just upgrade the processor to a Pentium 200 MMX and add one 16mb from crucial... do you think the mobo will support the MMX chip? 'cause it was designed only for the classic pentiums (i'm not sure if they have the same voltage requirements). I know that it's better to get a new computer but it's only being use to write documents and surf the internet... so I think spending $100 for an upgrade is still worth it than getting a new computer. I really appreciate your help, thanks.

G

Actually the computer only have DIMM slots and I installed two identical 32mb SDRAM sticks... so I'm preety sure that I'm not mixing SIMMs and DIMMs. I appreciate your response, thanks.

G

Check to socket your CPU sits in. If it is a socket 5 you are out of luck on upgrading to MMX cpu unless you spend a bunch of money on a overdrive upgrade that incorporates a voltage regulator. However I don't think it would be worth it. Considering that you can get a new celeron baby AT motherboard for 29 bucks (soyo sy-7sbb) and a celeron CPU for 50 or less. If it is a socket 7 you may be able to use MMX. The MMX chips require a dual voltage setting so you will need to find jumpers on the motherboard that allow you to change the CPU core voltage. Still you have the memory problem to contend with. (I actually recommend a Duron CPU over a celeron, the problem is the Duron motherboards are still not as cheap as some budget celeron boards. Hopefully that will change soon as I am tired of hearing about the celeron when the Duron will easily crush it.)

G

Mobo does not support MMX, max is classic P200, sorry.
Number of possibilities for you, the case will take any ATX mobo but needs some small mods at back, and PSU is only 145 Watts, so limited power there.
If you are determined to make use of what you have, I do have 16Meg original SDRAM and 32Meg EDO and 64Meg EDO modules to fit ( one of each ), would consider swapping for PC133.

G

Thanks, but the computer is not mine so I'm not really the one spending money for parts, I'm just servicing it for my mom's friend. Thanks for the info that it doesn't support MMX chips, I was so close of buying one. I guess I'll just hunt for a classic P200 somewhere in pricewatch... I think they run for around $30. Thanks a lot.