AMD LLANO

wolfman72

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Can somebody tell me the point of AMD's new apu, when you can just buy an athlon II and graphics card for same price. Offering no competition to sandybridge.

striker410

Distinguished
Because with the new F1 A8, you get 5670 level graphics (I believe) with athlon x4 performance. A comparable CPU is $80, and the GPU is $80. That makes it more expensive to go that route.

Also, it's much lower wattage than running an external GPU, meaning it's much better for HTPC's. It also gives off much less heat and is more efficient and very low profile.

Basically, it's an HTPC/casual gamerbox product. As shown, it beats the pants off the i3-2100.

95% of the worlds computers dont need the cpu power available . Most people use their computers for email , web browsing and messenger programs .

Llano delivers that in a very usable configuration at a much reduced price . Its a business strategy thats working too since AMD havent been able to keep up with demand from their clients .
That it can game a bit is a bonus .

wolfman72

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Ok sounds alright, but slated by many intel . Will bulldozer work along the same lines but with a more powerful GPU? I have a PII 955 if i wanted to zambezi upgrade do you think the cpu power will be less powerful for office software and video editing?