Intel HD 3000 OpenGL Performance

y2k

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
What do you say about the open GL performance of the HD3000 from intel sandy bridge lines of processor.?

Open Gl used in mostly 3d software view port display.
- handling large No of faces/vertices
- GlSL Shading
-Textures Display

y2k

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Thank you.
If there are any benchmarks for Open Gl performances that you can show me (such as 3ds max/Z brush/maya).
Support to 1.7 GB video memory is good.

I can't find any benchmarks off the top of my head but if you need GPU performance for DX or OpenGL, Intel integrated graphics is definitely not the place to look. They are developing in support and performance but still lag behind AMD and Nvidia in both while also sacrificing quality for performance

Where to look?

If you are willing to sacrifice CPU performance, look at AMD A-series processors.
If you are not willing to sacrifice CPU performance, add a dedicated AMD Radeon or Nvidia video card to your system for under $80.
If you are looking at a laptop, look at the AMD A-series mobile processors
Or purchase a laptop with dedicated AMD or Nvidia graphics.

y2k

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Since it can handle huge 1700 mb memory as specified on intel site.. hope it will act better than previous Integrated versions like GMA and so on.
I don't think using integrated Gpu (intel HD) will sacrifice Huge amt Cpu for this type of work.
I haven't looked inside AMDs new Fusion series

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
You are right that using Intel GMA will not reduce CPU capability; what was meant is that the A-series (Fusion) does not have the CPU power of Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs, but it does have MUCH better GPU power right on the chip.

If you need integrated and don't need maximum CPU power go Fusion all the way.

y2k

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
My current plan is to settle on a Sandy bridge CPU with Intel HD and Keep my PCI x16 express Slots Empty..Till the prices Of GPU fall under Budget. No extensive Gamings.Only light works and so on.
Hope i can live with that for some time What do you say?