Error: Unsupported CPU Installed?

that1guy1691

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Ok I did a little research before buying a new CPU for my computer. I looked up the specs and what my mother board supports.
I even made a thread on here asking a load of questions about this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=307124&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

I looked at the specs of my mother board http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02560084&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&product=5035429&key=null
and it says that it will support the AMD Phenom II x6.
So this is what I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849&cm_re=PHENOM_II_X6_1090-_-19-103-849-_-Product
But when I put it in and hooked everything up It says Error: Unsupported CPU Installed and then it shuts down.

I have already looked for a BIOS update but apparently I already have the latest one.
Any suggestions on what could be wrong? Did I get the wrong CPU or something?
Did I misread the specs page or what?
I'm at a total loss so please help.....

Solution
Max tdp on that plate is 95w, the Thubans push 125w, I'm inclined to think thats an issue right there,
maybe someone wiser can point out details though :)
Moto
its listed on the sheet as supported Cpu upgrades, but the people in the other thread obviously missed the glaring 'MAX TDP=95w' at the top of that section, I would lol but its not very funny for Op here :(
I would return the 1090, newegg should be fine on the rma for that if you explain the backstory
and I'll find a 95w Cpu for you :)
Moto

that1guy1691

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

Thanks so much! I will try it out.
And if that dont work I will probably just buy a pre-built for gaming.
Im super lazy :D

Any of the triplecores/quads on there will be fine for gaming on,
I'm just a bit miffed that because of a simple omission/oversight from us, you bought a chip you can't use
let us know how it goes and if you do go for a prebuilt, post over in prebuild section for any questions you might have then,
Moto

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

It also says it supports Thuban 10xx which includes 1090.

that1guy1691

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Well, I guess my other problem with the PSU is that it's HUGE and wont fit in my case.
Can I run my PC with the case open?
Other then dust what's the worst thing that can happen?

You can run with the case open.
One thing to think about is airflow. Do you have a front case intake fan(s) moving air over your drives? Some cases rely on exhaust fans to draw air into the case, and over and around components as it comes in, and then exhausted out the back. By removing the side of the case, you may inadvertently cause this "draw-through" effect to stop, which could result in some areas of the case getting hot. You have to asses this situation in your case to know for sure.
Just make sure you don't spill your beer in it, and don't let the dog pee on it either. Just obvious stuff like that can happen with an open case.

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007

Beer, ok. But the dog pee? Seriously?

Well personally I don't believe in letting animals in the house, (but my wifes $*&! cat is another story)
However, I have been at other folks homes where animals of all sort run, pee, crap, and slobber everywhere. Disgusting to say the least.

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

That's my point.
If all hexacores are above 95W why that statement is there? Just to say could have supported hexacores too?