Sourcing hardware & Software for Purchase to build system

VideoPod

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Hello,
I'm looking at the Shootouts on the various system builds $500 - $2000.
Two Questions:
Where to get the best price on Hardware and Software?
Also are OEM versions of microsoft O/S available?
Also is anyone building these shootout systems for resale for those of us whom haven't built a system in a while?

Solution
That's 3 questions...but luckly I have 3 answers.
1) There is no one site to get the best price, although you won't lose too much if you buy the stuff from a Microcenter. the "best price" is discounts offered by the seller. Although Newegg and Tigerdirect have prices that are "regular" that doesn't change often unless there are rebates or discounts

2) Yes! Normally you need to choose between 64 bit or 32 bit when buying OEM while retail normally has both

3) If you don't know exactly how to build a computer you can watch this 3 series video made by NewEgg:
part 1
Part 2
part 3

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
That's 3 questions...but luckly I have 3 answers.
1) There is no one site to get the best price, although you won't lose too much if you buy the stuff from a Microcenter. the "best price" is discounts offered by the seller. Although Newegg and Tigerdirect have prices that are "regular" that doesn't change often unless there are rebates or discounts

2) Yes! Normally you need to choose between 64 bit or 32 bit when buying OEM while retail normally has both

3) If you don't know exactly how to build a computer you can watch this 3 series video made by NewEgg:
part 1
Part 2
part 3

Solution

VideoPod

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

Thank you for the response, actually I've been building white boxes since there have been computers over 20 years but I haven't purchased and built one for the past 5 years as I am now retired but still capable :cool: I was being lazy and hoped you had a set of choice sources to save me some time. I was right. Thank you!
Murph