PCI express x16 only with i5 and i7 3XXX with this H61MGC motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omygod711

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
I am looking into getting a cheap and small build using the biostar HD61V http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856115045

The barebone uses BIOSTAR H61MGC motherboard

The spec said " 1 x PCI-E x16 3.0 Slot (supported by Core i5 -3xxx / Core i7 3xxx CPU)"

I was planning to use a G630 and add a low profile pci-e x16 graphic card in there.

Does this mean I have to get an ivy bridge in order to use the x16 slot or else the slot is useless? I don't mind if it runs at a lower speed since I am not planning to use a high end card.

Thank you

Solution
It means it will operate as PCIe 3.0 if you have any Ivy Bridge processor, and PCIe 2.1 otherwise. You can put any LGA 1155 processor in it and still use the slot.

+1 for willard

On a number of these older "6" series boards you can run 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processor with a Bios upgrade. So if you don't have or are going with a a 2nd generation Intel Core processor to updated the Bios with try to go with a B75, H77 or Z77.

omygod711

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008

I wanted to make a small budget build based on that barebone. Sandy Bridge and H61 stuff are cheap and powerful enough for everyday use so I am planning that. The ability to add a budget low profile card for some light gaming would be perfect, that's why i wanted to understand the PCI-E x16 slot deal on the board.

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.