Sign in with
Your question

Updates to avoid

Last response: in Motherboards
June 27, 2012 4:33:32 PM

Hello,
I purchased a compaq presario laptop from Staples,it came with Vista Home basic the lapt top had a 512MB memory and it took me a long time to find out that this memory was actually to small to run this OS any one else have this problem?????????

More about : updates avoid

a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2012 4:44:06 PM

Return it unless youve owned it too long. And Vista is a garbage OS, return it alone for that fact if ya can.
m
l
June 27, 2012 4:48:57 PM

Vista is not so bad with all the SP and hotfixes. I assume you either brought that laptop as a leftover special or you brought it a long time ago, so you might want to upgrade the RAM by searching for the make and model on Kingston's website.
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 } Memory
a c 265 V Motherboard
June 27, 2012 4:51:31 PM

+1 ^
m
l
July 4, 2012 1:59:29 AM

EnderWiggin said:
Vista is not so bad with all the SP and hotfixes. I assume you either brought that laptop as a leftover special or you brought it a long time ago, so you might want to upgrade the RAM by searching for the make and model on Kingston's website.

I would suspect that every one calls you WIGGY ,thanks for your reply I purhased my lap top back in 2007,because i didnt have a back round or experiance with computers it took me a long time to discover that the excessive amount of problems i was having cam from the fact that Staples sold me a computer that didnt have a memory large enough to properly run the OS that it came with. I just about gave up with trying to learn how to run a computer when Staples ran a free computer checkup,I took it in for this chek up and in the report that they gave me it(they) said that OS would not run properly unless it had amemory that exceded 1050 mb When I read this report i dawned on me that they were,i fact,telling me that they slold me a computer that was not able to run its own OS ! One would think That Staples would simply say were sorry an install a larger memory (i had a 512mb) but they wouldnt do that. Its not a wrarrenty problem and I thought it would be subject to some kind of product recall any way I purchased a 2GB memory,at another stor of course,and the computer works just fine! I was wondering if anyone else has had this experiance with Staples?
m
l
July 4, 2012 4:52:45 PM

Actually I wouldn't blame Staples but rather the manufacturer that built the laptop (Compaq/HP). It is possible that they met the minimum OS requirements for Vista as defined by Microsoft. My girlfriend's Toshiba laptop I got her back in 2007 had the same issue, only 1GB of RAM + Vista. So I updated it to 2GB, installed Windows 7 and a small Intel SSD, and the performance was kick-ass. Or at least good enough for her needs (Office, Web, Email).

The next time you are planning on buying a new computer, post it here and see what people say before buying.
m
l
!