macgyver4senate

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I'm building a video editing workstation with two Xeon E5-2620's on a Supermicro X9DAi.

My power supply is an Enermax Platimax 850W supply.

Everything powers up, with fans spinning, lights, etc. But no video is being put out.

There have been no beeps at all from the onboard speaker to indicate any POST issues, but oddly, the system doesn't even do a single beep upon restart.

I've removed the current video card and put in another from my old workstation, just to check that I didn't have a faulty video card. Neither one works though.

I have no idea where to go next. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tyler

try taking the mb out of the case and see if with the mb and power supply and a video card the mb posts outside the case. sometime people forget a standoff or the i/o shield for the mb has a finger that too long and shorts out the mb. also check that you have the extra 4/8 pin atx power cable plugged in. jpwrp1 and jppwr2. there for extra power for the cpu.

macgyver4senate

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

I have both of the 8 pins plugged in...

The IO shield can short the mb?

macgyver4senate

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Ok, just took it out of the box and got it to post. Any other hotspots I should be cognizant of that might be shorting the board while it's in the case?

the brass standoffs..in the wrong spot on your missing one and the mb is touching the case or the heat sink plate is. the o/o shield most time it fall into the usb port or one of the network ports and short the mb out.

mohchabi

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Hello macgyver4sen,
I have exactly the same problem as you. I leave in Switzerland and I have built a video editing worstation with 2 Xeon E5-2625 & the new Supermicro X9DAi. I edit video with Edius (grass Valley) and a Storm mobile. My power supply is a seasonic platinum series -860W.

When I finish the build, I wanted to install Windows 7 ultimate from an external Plextor Drive but there is no video. I become crazy, because I spent a lot of money to build this workstation to use with my panasonic AG-HPX250.
Please tell me if you have a solution ?
I was thinking about the memory I bought (Corsair XMS3 Vengeance LP DDR3 PC3-12800 (CL8) - 16 GB Kit), and I think I am going to change them to see if it will resolve the problem.

Please, could you send an answer to my e-mail adress which is:
mocha@hispeed.ch
You will save my life if you have the solution.
Thank you very much

Chabi M.

nrtydjrm

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
What video cards are you guys using and do you have additional cards plugged into the system? I've heard there are some problems with the Quadro cards on a lot of Sandy Bridge boards, and the Supermicro tech support guys sent me a beta version of the BIOS that fixed the Quadro problem. I also noticed there was an option in the BIOS to choose which slot was outputting graphics, so maybe you can try moving your graphics card to the other x16 slots.

solipsism

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
I'm having this same issue on my X9DAi motherboard... but the board is in a Supermicro barebones, so I am a) very loathe to remove it from the case and have to reconnect everything and b) I'd be unbelievably disappointed if they managed to short the board installing it into their own chassis...