Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First time build, using a barebones kit & need advice..

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Barebones
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 8, 2011 6:08:47 AM

Hi all,

I'm going to be building a budget gaming system based on a tigerdirect.com barebones kit ( Phenom II x4 955 BE barebones kit ) and I have some questions/concerns.

First off, I was looking at the PSU and noticed that it only had 2 sata connectors. I'm planning on using three sata devices, the Internal DVD writer and a 1 TB 5900 RPM internal hdd that both come with the barebones kit, and adding a 500GB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda as a boot drive. Is there a way I can use all three devices?? Within the reviews of the PSU, I read something about a 4 pin adapter to sata?

Second, I'm wondering how much better using a 7200 rpm hdd as a boot drive is, as opposed to using a 5900 rpm hdd for booting. The reason I ask is because if it's only slightly faster(to the point that it doesnt make that much of a difference), I dont want to spend 40 or so more dollars for another drive.

Finally, if I wanted to overclock the Phenom II x4 955 B.E. would I need to buy a better heat sink & fan or is there a way that I can use the stock HSF?

Parts outside of Barebones kit:

ECS GeForce GT440 512MB 128-bit GDDR5
GeForce GT440

OH! also, I noticed that the MOBO has an HDMI slot & I'm wondering, Is HDMI significantly better than VGA on a 720p tv/monitor?

Sorry for writing so much, and for my newbness :)  Thanks!

More about : time build barebones kit advice

July 8, 2011 6:38:32 AM

Pick parts yourself off newegg and it will end up being cheaper and better! HDMI is a digital output where VGA is analog but it will not be very noticeable. If you need help picking out parts or checking compatibility just say so. Barebone kits usually come with about two good parts and the rest is junk, works well for advertising and helps them get rid of poor parts that don't sell very well.
m
l
July 8, 2011 10:38:52 AM

Firstly - I've never heard about using a 4 pin adapter with the psu for sata.
Second - As everyone else is telling me - get a Samsung Spinpoint for your hdd.
Three - The stock fan will quite often be perfectly fine for a stock processor. When you overclock that though - it might be an idea to look into something that will give you a more stable temp to support the overclock. I would say that you should be able to do some safe OC'ing with the stock fan, but not by anything significant.

As with most pc builds - you have to take into consideration what the purpose of the build is. Thought and planning should go into it before you buy anything - rather than after.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 8, 2011 2:42:55 PM

Ultra has a shaky reputation for PSUs. I wouldn't buy one.
It might be worthwhile to start a thread in the New Build section, using the sticky there to format your post to include the information people need (like budget and preferences) to help suggest a decent build. I think you can do better than that kit. The GT440 you've chosen to add to it isn't really great for games; on a tight budget, try to fit a HD5670, which is only $10 more if you play the rebate game and win, but $5 less if you either don't play that game, or lose it.
July 8, 2011 6:11:38 PM

+1 to Jtt's call,
if you havent already bought the bones kit?
and 5900rpm drives dont belong anywhere near a gaming build, budget or no
Moto
m
l
July 8, 2011 7:58:38 PM

Thanks for all the replies & advice, guys :)  I haven't bought anything yet, as I'm still planning it all out, and I dont think I'll be buying the barebones kit if I can save more money by picking my own parts.

@Gumption, thanks for the suggestion on the spinpoint. They all get reallly good reviews & ratings.

@jtt283, I'll be sure to check out the sticky, thanks. As for rebates, are they a guaranteed savings? The way you put it, rebates sound sort of like a roll-of-the-dice kinda game :o  Also, looking at your link, I noticed that the HD 5670 beats the GT 440 in every resolution except 2560 x 1600. Why is this so?

m
l
July 8, 2011 8:44:32 PM

Gumption said:
Firstly - I've never heard about using a 4 pin adapter with the psu for sata.
Second - As everyone else is telling me - get a Samsung Spinpoint for your hdd.
Three - The stock fan will quite often be perfectly fine for a stock processor. When you overclock that though - it might be an idea to look into something that will give you a more stable temp to support the overclock. I would say that you should be able to do some safe OC'ing with the stock fan, but not by anything significant.

As with most pc builds - you have to take into consideration what the purpose of the build is. Thought and planning should go into it before you buy anything - rather than after.

This is the cable he's mentioning.

m
l
July 8, 2011 9:34:33 PM

That may have to do with the amount of memory on the cards. In any case, a relatively low-end card should not be used at such high resolutions, so it really doesn't matter.
Check out the deals here: http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/july-0-2011/summer... including a 1TB Spinpoint F3 for $50.
I could be mistaken, but an adapter cable such as the one shown by 3xch4ng3 does not have the orange 3.3V line; this won't matter in many cases, but I believe may be a requirement if you're going to use the hot-swap features enabled by AHCI. I've read mixed comments about that line; most drives apparently don't use it yet, but I'd consider such an adapter as no more than a stopgap measure. Of course, if you buy a better PSU than the Ultra, this is unlikely to be an issue, as it will have plenty of connectors, on at least two cables (so one can go to your optical drive, and the other to your hard drives).
m
l
July 9, 2011 4:26:34 PM

Best answer selected by bkc1014.
m
l
July 9, 2011 5:22:17 PM

Thanks. I'll look for your New Build thread...
m
l
!