Sign in with
Your question

Having serious issues with new PC. Please help.

Last response: in Systems
July 8, 2011 7:38:09 AM

I've had my PC for about 2 weeks and everything was fine until recently. My PC hasn't been playing games smoothly at all. I have absolutely no idea what is going on. Whether it's the hardware or the software, I have no clue. What happens is, when playing a game, for example, Metro 2033, the screen twitches and jitters like crazy when when moving my mouse. It's like the frames freeze and then skip. Heres a short video of it happening 2 or 3 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hVn08HrKw&feature=chan...

This happens all the time now despite playing at consistently high FPS.

I have a GTX 560 TI and a Phenom 2 x4. I'm playing at max settings in 720p and don't go below 30 fps. I usually am around 40 to 60. This never happened before. I just scanned for viruses and am clean, reinstalled the drivers but no improvement. Can you guys please help me figure out this issue and fix it?

More about : issues

July 8, 2011 8:08:02 AM

First thing that comes to mind is network issues. Are you playing online (Excuse me, I do not know these games)? If so, check your system and make sure Windows isn't downloading updates in the background or that you have other bandwidth eating items open. (Some web pages with the video ad's can cause problems for some).

What I really feel is the problem however, is o the hardware end. Post your system specs here so we can see what we're working with. If this is your first time building computers, mistakes are almost a given. It sounds as if you are having heating issues. i.e. graphics card is not being adequately cooled. Due to the fact we don't have system specs, we can't guess much beyond that. CPU could also be getting toasty, wiggle the HSF (Heat Sink/Fan) around and see if there is any give. If so, you will want to reseat it--apply new thermalpaste though. So don't do this until other things are eliminated as the source of the problem.

That's all I've got at the moment. Post your specs and we can try and help a but further. Good luck.
m
l
July 8, 2011 8:17:34 AM

EVGA GTX 560TI
ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+
Coolermaster GX 750W
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600
Coolermaster Hyper 212plus
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
COOLER MASTER HAF 912

At the moment Core Temp says my CPU is
Low - 35C
High - 37C

It also says
Tj.Maz:70C
CPU#0:30C

Don't know about the GPU.

Also, when this happens, my FPS doesn't drop, it stays consistently high.
m
l
Related resources
July 8, 2011 3:43:18 PM

hmmm, what mouse do you have, and are the drivers for it updated? are you system drivers up to date? i watched your video once, and didnt really notice your problem. metro is rough game to run, what other games does it happen in?
m
l
July 8, 2011 4:01:29 PM

Watch the 1st 4 seconds closely and you will see the game freeze and skip real fast. It's actually gotten worse too.

I have the Razer Deathadder BE with the Razer Goliathus mouse pad. Not too fond of them TBH. And yes the drivers are up to date and I even re installed them.

Could it possibly be tracking issues with the mouse and mouse pad?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2011 6:09:08 PM

Your cards not able to draw the frames fast enough it looks like,
try turning some gfx settings down, should sort it out,
I assume playing video/surfing etc is working fine?
Moto
m
l
July 9, 2011 3:18:51 AM

Could be hard drive. In rare cases a drive won't read and cache correctly and will cause this. If this is the case, backup everything as soon as possible. If your drive is a SSD, I doubt it should be the problem, if it is a standard HDD, probably over 500GB, buy a smaller boot drive and see if that fixes it. You should be able to simply image the old drive onto the newer (smaller) one and be good to go. I had this same problem with a GTA4 install on a 500GB boot drive with Win 7 Pro x64. It may or may not be the case but it is another thing I would check.

I doubt it's your graphics card, that should be able to keep up with what you're doing.
m
l
July 9, 2011 7:41:47 AM

I also doubt it's the graphics card due to the fact that I played through 3/4 of the game with no problem what so ever.

I also just noticed that this only happens when I'm moving the cursor. I can run around perfectly, but as soon as I move my mouse it starts happening. Tracking issues maybe?

Edit:AHA! I tried it at max settings with DX9 and the problem was almost non existent. I also tried it at the lowest settings in CX11 and the problem was there.

DX11 seems to be the culprit. What does this mean?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 9, 2011 8:35:20 AM

I think it means that Metro's 'DX11 support' isn't quite what it could be,
theres a few google hits on people having issues with it and its a hit and miss solution, what works for one set up doesn't work for another
I assume your on a 64bit O/s and all other operations are satisfactory?
its just the gaming thats an issue?
best you can do imo is tweak each games settings as best you can and be prepared to sacrifice/compromise on some settings to keep it all smooth
Moto
m
l
July 9, 2011 9:11:49 AM

This kind of pisses me off. Spent a lot of money for something that doesn't do what it's supposed to. What exactly is DX11? What is this DX thing anyway and what does it do?

Is there a chance this could happen in other games too?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 9, 2011 9:54:32 AM

As more and more games utilise it yes, but its the new standard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX
is probably the most unbiased opinion on it, but Ati/Amd do have the better edge on it at the moment in my experience
its basically shinier graphics
check driver updates from your cards vendor and hopefully soon it'll be fixed, till then its just set your games on what works for now
you havent wasted your money, its just teething on Nvidias part so dont worry there
Moto
m
l
July 9, 2011 10:41:41 AM

OK thanks.

m
l
July 9, 2011 2:11:42 PM

Why I was able to play through 3/4 of the game smoothly but now all of a sudden I can't. I now know that DX11 is the problem but I've had it on the whole time...

I also just noticed that the issue is still there even in DX10. WTF!?!?!?!
m
l
July 10, 2011 6:05:55 PM

Can someone please reply to my previous post?
m
l
!