Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Burn

Last response: in Motherboards
June 27, 2012 10:09:44 PM

My "current" spec :

MB: Biostar TA790GX A3+
Proc: AMD Phenom II X4 945 (or965 I forgot)
PSU : Crossair CX500 v2
RAM : Crossair I forgot the series
VGA : an old ati card, 9500GT if I'm not mistaken

long story short, my motherboard just burned out a few days ago, not really burned with fire comes out, but there's some actual smoke comes out from the FET part.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/upload/Motherboard/b20090319....
the burned part is the left most IC under the T-series labeled heatsink.

It's not overclocked, and when it happened I was playing a light game, my pc suddenly freeze and there's a burn smell.

I decided to play a little with the motherboard after that :
- if I put ONLY the 24pin cable, and press the power on there will be some sort of "life sign" : lit led, spinning fan, etc just that the led show the "abnormal status" without any burn effect.
- if I add the additional 4pin 12v and try to turn it on, there will be a blink (led lit, spinning fan for a very short time), that's all, just a blink.
- if I TAKE OUT the processor and try to turn it on WITH the additional 4pin 12v, it will turned on, fan spinning, led show abnormal state, and a bonus smoke and burn smell (without the additional 4pin 12v it will be just abnormal without the burning effect)

now when I write this, I think that little playing with the processor on the broken moterboard was not a good idea...

----
I and my friends ends up with 2 possible explaining about what could trigger this "accident".
1. it's the brand new Crossair CX500 (about 1/2 weeks old) that faulty. If I take a closer observation there's a shrieking sound like what an old tube monitor makes and some "strange" smell, I thought it' was the "new stuff" smell but it's somewhat smell like electric shortage.
2. The motherboard is finally giving up after getting crappy supply of power from the PSU before this new one.

I decided to return the power supply, and it's on it's road for new replacement from the shop, so there should be no problem with that.
----

my question is, is there a possibility that the processor getting broken too? if yes what is the chance. well I wouldn't giving it too much tough if it wasn't the processor voltage regulator IC that burned.

and another one : if I bought new motherboard (I already bought on actually, it's shipping right now) and my old processor is broken, is it possible that it will broke my new motherboard too?

FYI : I decided to buy a whole new parts - the power supply, ram, gpu, and the motherboard of course (minus the processor since I'm not really in mood buying new one after looking at the current state of new amd bulldozer series, not to mention I think my old one is still powerful enough -provided it can still work. I'll wait another quarter for upgrading it.)

More about : burn

June 27, 2012 10:36:31 PM

Well idk why you dont want a bulldozer...I have a 6100 and it tears through all games max settings with no bottle neck...it performs the same and if not better than a 1090t... (I know because my friend has one and we did performance tests) and I wouldnt take the chance of putting your old processor into it...Im sure it wouldnt do anything but why take a chance?
Score
June 27, 2012 10:53:05 PM

to be honest I prefer saving it for next release or buying new HDD for additional storage space than upgrading my current processor (provided it still works)
not to mention that looking at the current review there's not that much positive review on bulldozer series, so -in terms of gaming- I feel playing on medium setting for another 3-4 months while waiting "better" chip released will be more reasonable than rushing it now. (I'm not that hardcore at gaming to the extent wanting the maximum setting that bad)

why take a chance? because if my current processor still works fine, buying a new one isn't a plausible option for me for now.
Score
Related resources
a c 75 V Motherboard
June 27, 2012 10:59:59 PM

Hmm. From the sound of things I suspect the damaged component on the board is in the power delivery system for the CPU (which is the purpose of the 4-pin connector: it provides the power to the CPU which is conditioned through those components adjacent to the CPU socket). From the second test state (CPU installed and 4-pin inserted, system does not start) I'd guess the CPU isn't starting. I'd consider it risky to try that processor in a new board.
Score

Best solution

a c 471 V Motherboard
June 27, 2012 11:01:48 PM

without the right test bed and software you cant tell unless the chip smell or has burn marks on it.
June 28, 2012 2:51:39 AM

smorizio said:
without the right test bed and software you cant tell unless the chip smell or has burn marks on it.

Forgot to mention, physically the chip looks fine. no smell no burn marks, I even checked the base using magnifying glass.

SchizTech said:
Hmm. From the sound of things I suspect the damaged component on the board is in the power delivery system for the CPU (which is the purpose of the 4-pin connector: it provides the power to the CPU which is conditioned through those components adjacent to the CPU socket). From the second test state (CPU installed and 4-pin inserted, system does not start) I'd guess the CPU isn't starting. I'd consider it risky to try that processor in a new board.

Well, my friend thought that it's because the chip is working fine hence the 2nd test state only show a blink (his argument is it's run "fine" like the the 3rd state but the processor "refuse" to start because the voltage is not good hence the blink only).
basically it's between that and SchizTech opinion that makes me confused and started this thread.

now with smorizio answer, that we wouldn't be able to tell unless actually test it, I think I'll take my chance.
any other opinion still welcome tough, the motherboard and all other stuff will arrive tomorrow afternoon.
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 3:27:58 AM

At least when the part arrives try breadboarding first with only one stick of ram, see if it will make to the post.....
Score
June 29, 2012 9:46:01 PM

Best answer selected by pikokola.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 29, 2012 9:52:33 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!