chaz60795

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
my nzxt water cooling kit works well, but is not very stable. For example, i run prime 95 and my cpu gets about 69c then my water cooling kit really starts to work and it goes down to 55c in a matter of seconds. It'll let the cpu go up to 69 again before bringing it down to 55c. Anything i can do to make it work 100% continuously?

That seems extremely hot to me. My friend's 955 on stock cooling ran cooler than that.

So a couple questions:
-Are you overclocked?
-What model watercooler are you using? (this is most important for your question)
-did you apply too much or too little thermal compound?

I don't know much about water cooling but if there is a bios setting for turning up the fan due to increasing temperature...

xerb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Try controlling your pump and/or your cpu fan.
I am guessing that the fan and pump speeds are controlled by PWM which is automatic. You should download and install SpeedFan, which lets you monitor the pump and fan speed. Try to see the change in pump/fan speeds when you run Prime95.

xerb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Oh and also...I have the AMD Phenom ii x4 955. I am using the Corsair H50 liquid cooling system and my idle temps are around 30 and load temps are around 45 with NO overclocking. That should give you an idea of what the temps should be.

chaz60795

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
ok i just found out that i have one fan on it, i do not know if it is sucking in or blowing in air. Tomorrow i am going to buy another fan and install it. HOPEFULLY it will change everything

No that's not going to change everything. Sucking or blowing make sure that both fans are pushing air in the same direction. I think you're going to have to unplug the system, open it up, take off the water block (the part that goes on the CPU) clean it, make sure it doesn't have a plastic cover on it (people forget to remove it sometimes), clean the CPU, apply new thermal paste, and put the whole thing back together

chaz60795

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
ok i took it off and applied a brand new layer of thermal paste but still on idle it is 45 and on prime 95 it climbs upto 69 i really do not know what to do. should i just get a heatsink and a fan isntead?