Is it just me or is FFTA a bit overrated?

I'm trying to play this through for my second time and... well... I'm
bored. So I think I'm going to stop. Maybe it's just too long and it's one
of those games you can only play once. All I know is I loved it the first
time through and right now I'm growing tired of it very early on.

And yes, I realize I say this as one of FFTA's biggest boosters the last
couple years on this and other Usenet group and some message boards, but
it's just that, it's so freaking long. I don't think I can do it again.

Am I alone?

Preston
5 answers Last reply
More about ffta overrated

    If it was fun the first time through, how could it be overrated? Not
    sure if story-games like that are designed to be played twice. Maybe
    you're asking too much of the game (thereby overrating it yourself).
    I've had _Final Fantasy Tactics Advance_ since June 2004 and I'm still
    playing my first time through in January 2005, so far completing about
    1/3 of the missions. My playtime is maybe 1-3 hours per week.

    If you're bored, just drop it. No reason to cling to it if you've
    burnt out your desire to play this, admittedly great, game. There are
    plenty of fantasy-tactics games to play, if you need to scratch that
    itch (although they might be on other systems). Hope they come out
    with something like _Final Fantasy Tactics DS_. Pure speculation on my
    part.

    On 2005-01-09, Ejiisan <oed@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > If it was fun the first time through, how could it be overrated? Not
    > sure if story-games like that are designed to be played twice. Maybe
    > you're asking too much of the game (thereby overrating it yourself).
    > I've had _Final Fantasy Tactics Advance_ since June 2004 and I'm still
    > playing my first time through in January 2005, so far completing about
    > 1/3 of the missions. My playtime is maybe 1-3 hours per week.

    It got tedious the first time through also. Around hour 70. Maybe I'm just
    not cut out for games that long.

    > If you're bored, just drop it. No reason to cling to it if you've
    > burnt out your desire to play this, admittedly great, game. There are
    > plenty of fantasy-tactics games to play, if you need to scratch that
    > itch (although they might be on other systems). Hope they come out
    > with something like _Final Fantasy Tactics DS_. Pure speculation on my
    > part.

    That's the sad part. I love the genre. And I loved the game. But I'm not
    sure I do any more. It was just too tedious this time around. Like I said,
    maybe this is the kind of game you can only play once.

    Preston

    I haven't reached my 70th hour yet, but I usually stop playing if the
    game seems the least bit tedious. I keep coming back to play FFTA in
    enjoyable bursts. I've outright quit other games that got boring
    ("SOCOM II" comes to mind)... so the fact that I consistently return to
    progress further in FFTA is some kind of testament to its quality.

    Does this thread inadvertently reference the plot of FFTA itself? The
    "game reality vs. real-world" conflict? I don't know.

    If you like the tactical-RPG genre, I might recommend "Disgaea" (PS2)
    or "Final Fantasy Tactics" (PS1). Those are two I've played and liked
    quite a bit. In fact, I played FFT exclusively for a few weeks, until
    I finished it. It is more complex and dark than the Gameboy
    counterpart, and without the "law" system.

    "Ejiisan" <oed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I haven't reached my 70th hour yet, but I usually stop playing if the
    > game seems the least bit tedious. I keep coming back to play FFTA in
    > enjoyable bursts. I've outright quit other games that got boring
    > ("SOCOM II" comes to mind)... so the fact that I consistently return to
    > progress further in FFTA is some kind of testament to its quality.
    >
    > Does this thread inadvertently reference the plot of FFTA itself? The
    > "game reality vs. real-world" conflict? I don't know.
    >
    > If you like the tactical-RPG genre, I might recommend "Disgaea" (PS2)
    > or "Final Fantasy Tactics" (PS1). Those are two I've played and liked
    > quite a bit. In fact, I played FFT exclusively for a few weeks, until
    > I finished it. It is more complex and dark than the Gameboy
    > counterpart, and without the "law" system.

    Is FFTA a completely different game from PSOne's FFT? I mean, do these two
    games have a completely different story (like FFVII and FVIII or FFIX), or
    is FFTA basically a port of FFT with some small improvements or small
    omissions (like FF I & II: Dawn of Souls)?

    Thanks!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On 2005-01-10, Fatbob <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > "Ejiisan" <oed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I haven't reached my 70th hour yet, but I usually stop playing if the
    >> game seems the least bit tedious. I keep coming back to play FFTA in
    >> enjoyable bursts. I've outright quit other games that got boring
    >> ("SOCOM II" comes to mind)... so the fact that I consistently return to
    >> progress further in FFTA is some kind of testament to its quality.
    >>
    >> Does this thread inadvertently reference the plot of FFTA itself? The
    >> "game reality vs. real-world" conflict? I don't know.
    >>
    >> If you like the tactical-RPG genre, I might recommend "Disgaea" (PS2)
    >> or "Final Fantasy Tactics" (PS1). Those are two I've played and liked
    >> quite a bit. In fact, I played FFT exclusively for a few weeks, until
    >> I finished it. It is more complex and dark than the Gameboy
    >> counterpart, and without the "law" system.
    >
    > Is FFTA a completely different game from PSOne's FFT? I mean, do these two
    > games have a completely different story (like FFVII and FVIII or FFIX), or
    > is FFTA basically a port of FFT with some small improvements or small
    > omissions (like FF I & II: Dawn of Souls)?

    Completely different. Both in terms of how it looks and the story and the
    class/job system.

    Preston

Console Gaming Games Video Games