Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is it just me or is FFTA a bit overrated?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:20:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

I'm trying to play this through for my second time and... well... I'm
bored. So I think I'm going to stop. Maybe it's just too long and it's one
of those games you can only play once. All I know is I loved it the first
time through and right now I'm growing tired of it very early on.

And yes, I realize I say this as one of FFTA's biggest boosters the last
couple years on this and other Usenet group and some message boards, but
it's just that, it's so freaking long. I don't think I can do it again.

Am I alone?

Preston

More about : ffta bit overrated

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:03:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

If it was fun the first time through, how could it be overrated? Not
sure if story-games like that are designed to be played twice. Maybe
you're asking too much of the game (thereby overrating it yourself).
I've had _Final Fantasy Tactics Advance_ since June 2004 and I'm still
playing my first time through in January 2005, so far completing about
1/3 of the missions. My playtime is maybe 1-3 hours per week.

If you're bored, just drop it. No reason to cling to it if you've
burnt out your desire to play this, admittedly great, game. There are
plenty of fantasy-tactics games to play, if you need to scratch that
itch (although they might be on other systems). Hope they come out
with something like _Final Fantasy Tactics DS_. Pure speculation on my
part.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:50:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On 2005-01-09, Ejiisan <oed@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If it was fun the first time through, how could it be overrated? Not
> sure if story-games like that are designed to be played twice. Maybe
> you're asking too much of the game (thereby overrating it yourself).
> I've had _Final Fantasy Tactics Advance_ since June 2004 and I'm still
> playing my first time through in January 2005, so far completing about
> 1/3 of the missions. My playtime is maybe 1-3 hours per week.

It got tedious the first time through also. Around hour 70. Maybe I'm just
not cut out for games that long.

> If you're bored, just drop it. No reason to cling to it if you've
> burnt out your desire to play this, admittedly great, game. There are
> plenty of fantasy-tactics games to play, if you need to scratch that
> itch (although they might be on other systems). Hope they come out
> with something like _Final Fantasy Tactics DS_. Pure speculation on my
> part.

That's the sad part. I love the genre. And I loved the game. But I'm not
sure I do any more. It was just too tedious this time around. Like I said,
maybe this is the kind of game you can only play once.

Preston
Related resources
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 10:33:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

I haven't reached my 70th hour yet, but I usually stop playing if the
game seems the least bit tedious. I keep coming back to play FFTA in
enjoyable bursts. I've outright quit other games that got boring
("SOCOM II" comes to mind)... so the fact that I consistently return to
progress further in FFTA is some kind of testament to its quality.

Does this thread inadvertently reference the plot of FFTA itself? The
"game reality vs. real-world" conflict? I don't know.

If you like the tactical-RPG genre, I might recommend "Disgaea" (PS2)
or "Final Fantasy Tactics" (PS1). Those are two I've played and liked
quite a bit. In fact, I played FFT exclusively for a few weeks, until
I finished it. It is more complex and dark than the Gameboy
counterpart, and without the "law" system.
January 10, 2005 7:36:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Ejiisan" <oed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1105371227.704048.202850@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I haven't reached my 70th hour yet, but I usually stop playing if the
> game seems the least bit tedious. I keep coming back to play FFTA in
> enjoyable bursts. I've outright quit other games that got boring
> ("SOCOM II" comes to mind)... so the fact that I consistently return to
> progress further in FFTA is some kind of testament to its quality.
>
> Does this thread inadvertently reference the plot of FFTA itself? The
> "game reality vs. real-world" conflict? I don't know.
>
> If you like the tactical-RPG genre, I might recommend "Disgaea" (PS2)
> or "Final Fantasy Tactics" (PS1). Those are two I've played and liked
> quite a bit. In fact, I played FFT exclusively for a few weeks, until
> I finished it. It is more complex and dark than the Gameboy
> counterpart, and without the "law" system.

Is FFTA a completely different game from PSOne's FFT? I mean, do these two
games have a completely different story (like FFVII and FVIII or FFIX), or
is FFTA basically a port of FFT with some small improvements or small
omissions (like FF I & II: Dawn of Souls)?

Thanks!
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 7:36:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On 2005-01-10, Fatbob <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Ejiisan" <oed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1105371227.704048.202850@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> I haven't reached my 70th hour yet, but I usually stop playing if the
>> game seems the least bit tedious. I keep coming back to play FFTA in
>> enjoyable bursts. I've outright quit other games that got boring
>> ("SOCOM II" comes to mind)... so the fact that I consistently return to
>> progress further in FFTA is some kind of testament to its quality.
>>
>> Does this thread inadvertently reference the plot of FFTA itself? The
>> "game reality vs. real-world" conflict? I don't know.
>>
>> If you like the tactical-RPG genre, I might recommend "Disgaea" (PS2)
>> or "Final Fantasy Tactics" (PS1). Those are two I've played and liked
>> quite a bit. In fact, I played FFT exclusively for a few weeks, until
>> I finished it. It is more complex and dark than the Gameboy
>> counterpart, and without the "law" system.
>
> Is FFTA a completely different game from PSOne's FFT? I mean, do these two
> games have a completely different story (like FFVII and FVIII or FFIX), or
> is FFTA basically a port of FFT with some small improvements or small
> omissions (like FF I & II: Dawn of Souls)?

Completely different. Both in terms of how it looks and the story and the
class/job system.

Preston
!