g-unit1111

Titan
I was using a configuration that involved an Antec 900, Asus M4A87TD Evo, 16GB of Corsair XMS memory, and AMD Phenom II X6 1055. Long story short I replaced the CPU fan with an aftermarket cooler, the motherboard completely fried, and I wound up replacing it with a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 and Intel Core i3-2120. Not to mention the Antec case became almost unusable. With the AMD motherboard completely dead and no chance of revival, I managed to salvage the CPU, and now I don't know what to do with it. I'm thinking of getting a micro-ATX based system and I can continue to use the processor that way. Is there any to know for sure before I go invest in this to see if it works or not?

g-unit1111

Titan

Well what happened originally was I installed an aftermarket fan (Xigmatek Gaia) and something went terribly wrong in the installation process and my CPU didn't work right since. I'm not sure if I didn't use too much or not enough thermal paste, or what went wrong. But I wound up taking out the fan and replacing it back with the AMD stock fan. And when I attempted to reinstall the fan a second time - I got the fan to work and that's when my motherboard just totally died. But the CPU worked up until that point.

And I'm thinking of using the CPU in a home theater build along with a few other parts from the salvaged build like the RAM.

daamz

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
there must be something wrong.. over voltage? how old your motherboard? even if u put not enuf thermal and generate some unnecessary heat, a normal mobo should restart by itself. Normally it does...

So, it could be some problem on your mobo circuit. Maybe it does not trigger by the heat of CPU. im assuming mobo problem, and not the CPU fan watsover. Again, it just my assumption..

daamz

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

GOOD,

g-unit, just get a USED AM3+ mobo.. yeah.. just test it.. no need to buy new..