Workable system?

rafbag

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I plan to build my own system for the very first time. I'll be using it for basically everything, from everyday use to gaming.

I'm pretty sure the system will work fine, but I just needed somebody to tell me what he thinks.. Will the components all function together, will I be able to play latest games on highest graphics? (This is kinda important for me =D)

Anyways.. here are the specs:

- Asus Sabertooth P67 mobo

- Intel i5 2500k (I plan to overclock a bit when I buy a proper cpu cooler)

(I was going to get the i7 2600k, but i just don't see the extra 0.1 Ghz worth the extra 100$ - I'll mostly
use it for gaming)

- G.Skill RipJawsX (2 x 4 GB) 1600 MHz RAM

- GeForce GTX 570 1280MB

- Samsung SpinPoint 1TB SATA-II 32MB cache

- LG 22x DVD ReWriter

- Cooler Master HAF 922 case

- Corsair enthusiast series TX 850W V2 PSU

Those are all the specs and for now I'll use a crappy monitor, keyboard and mouse. (Need more money :p)

Another thing.. what is the difference between Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit?

Thanks.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
Hi! First of all, I always think any MoBo over $150 is overkill. Nowadays the MoBo is just a docking station for all the cables and stuff...so you can go with a cheaper one such as the GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (you save $30, which can go into buying a new monitor).

Second: The i7 2600k isn't just 100MHz (.1GHz) more clock rate than the i5 2500k. The i7 2600k allows for hyperthreading AND has 2MB more L3 cache. If you are gaming the 2500k is more than adequate because no games uses more than 4 cores so the hyperthreading won't do you much good.

Third: You will want a 64BIT system. 64bit of windows 7 supports up to 192 GB of RAM while 32bit ONLY supports 4GB...and since you're using 8GB of RAM...you need the 64BIT version

Fourth: Everything (including the new MoBo I posted) are compatible

rafbag

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Thanks for your reply!

I don't know about the mobo.. I kinda fell in love with the sabertooth.. I do agree with you, the motherboard is just a docking station for the cables nowadays. Anyway I just checked into overclockers (from where I'm buying the staff) and they don't have that mobo in stock.. I think I would have still stuck to the sabertooth anyhow.

Thanks for the clear up about the 32 and 64 BIT versions for windows 7, 64 bit it is.

About the cpu: That's exactly why I changed my mind about the 2600k and went for the 2500k. I don't have any use for any hyperthreading so It's just not worth it. THAT extra money goes to a monitor ;)

HippieMagic

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Keep in mind if you go with that case you won't be able to SEE the motherboard. It is an interesting looking piece and seems like it would be better suited in a case with a window. The 922 just has a fan grill on the side doesn't it?

rafbag

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Yeah, it just has a fan grill.. The inside won't be visible.
Do you have any other case suggestions I can consider in same price range as the 922 and large enough for my specs and for expansion in the future?

TRENDING THREADS