Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sabre Wulf - Fun

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 10, 2005 6:28:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Not sure if anyone has tried but it's a blast. Kinda like Warioware meets
the platform jumper. Just quick little levels.

More about : sabre wulf fun

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:57:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Shabby" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:9DmEd.1006$SS6.225@trnddc07...
> Not sure if anyone has tried but it's a blast. Kinda like Warioware meets
> the platform jumper. Just quick little levels.

I respect your opinion. Here's mine:

Rare's worst game ever. Zero playability, no longevity. I can bet that it
wasn't the Stampers who wrote this POS, as it's nowhere near as good as the
20 year old original.

D.
January 12, 2005 6:35:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

So, give me a better game as I am still exploring GBA games. So far, the
Marios are fun, Zelda's ok but gets a bit long for me, Warioware is a blast,
Advance Wars was fun, The Card Games one is entertaining for poker, Metroids
are cool. Suggestions?

"Dunny" <paul.dunn4@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:34f5bsF46up3iU1@individual.net...
>
> "Shabby" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> news:9DmEd.1006$SS6.225@trnddc07...
>> Not sure if anyone has tried but it's a blast. Kinda like Warioware meets
>> the platform jumper. Just quick little levels.
>
> I respect your opinion. Here's mine:
>
> Rare's worst game ever. Zero playability, no longevity. I can bet that it
> wasn't the Stampers who wrote this POS, as it's nowhere near as good as
> the 20 year old original.
>
> D.
>
>
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:49:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Shabby" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:1W0Fd.15993$lG.15947@trnddc03...
> So, give me a better game as I am still exploring GBA games. So far, the
> Marios are fun, Zelda's ok but gets a bit long for me, Warioware is a
> blast, Advance Wars was fun, The Card Games one is entertaining for poker,
> Metroids are cool. Suggestions?

Hey, by all means download it, just don't buy it. It just encourages them.

As for me, I've just discovered the Namco Museum, PacMan collection (Pac
Mania, my all time fave Amiga game and it's *almost* arcade perfect), Some
sega arcade collection (has outrun, get it just for that cos the others are
shite and nothing like the arcade - though what they were thinking trying to
put Afterburner on a digital d-pad I'll never know). "Bubble Bobble, Old and
New" has the original BB in it - 'nuff said.

I've just managed to source a large amount of GB roms, so Goomba is getting
an outing.

As for non-retro stuff, Donkey Kong Country 2 is a must for me - I had this
on the original GB, and the GBA version is just lovely. I found Colin Macrae
1 + 2 to be naff, but V-Rally 3 turned out to be a great fun little racer,
despite what the reviews had to say. MIght not be your cup of tea, though
definitely better than CM2. Doom 1+2 are ok for curiosity, but strangely
unsatisfying.

I've never been one for the mindless rehashes of zelda or mario - though
Mario Land 1 on GB was great, and gets emulated through goomba a lot.
Metroids... nah, not for me - no originality, nothing new. I'd rather play
retro-games than a new metroid. Finally, sonic advance isn't *bad* but not a
patch on the megadrive version.

D.
January 13, 2005 7:51:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

I MAME all the retro stuff and play originals! Definitely fun.

"Dunny" <paul.dunn4@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:34lrcjF4cdrg0U1@individual.net...
> "Shabby" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> news:1W0Fd.15993$lG.15947@trnddc03...
>> So, give me a better game as I am still exploring GBA games. So far, the
>> Marios are fun, Zelda's ok but gets a bit long for me, Warioware is a
>> blast, Advance Wars was fun, The Card Games one is entertaining for
>> poker, Metroids are cool. Suggestions?
>
> Hey, by all means download it, just don't buy it. It just encourages them.
>
> As for me, I've just discovered the Namco Museum, PacMan collection (Pac
> Mania, my all time fave Amiga game and it's *almost* arcade perfect), Some
> sega arcade collection (has outrun, get it just for that cos the others
> are shite and nothing like the arcade - though what they were thinking
> trying to put Afterburner on a digital d-pad I'll never know). "Bubble
> Bobble, Old and New" has the original BB in it - 'nuff said.
>
> I've just managed to source a large amount of GB roms, so Goomba is
> getting an outing.
>
> As for non-retro stuff, Donkey Kong Country 2 is a must for me - I had
> this on the original GB, and the GBA version is just lovely. I found Colin
> Macrae 1 + 2 to be naff, but V-Rally 3 turned out to be a great fun little
> racer, despite what the reviews had to say. MIght not be your cup of tea,
> though definitely better than CM2. Doom 1+2 are ok for curiosity, but
> strangely unsatisfying.
>
> I've never been one for the mindless rehashes of zelda or mario - though
> Mario Land 1 on GB was great, and gets emulated through goomba a lot.
> Metroids... nah, not for me - no originality, nothing new. I'd rather play
> retro-games than a new metroid. Finally, sonic advance isn't *bad* but not
> a patch on the megadrive version.
>
> D.
>
>
January 13, 2005 7:07:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Dunny" <paul.dunn4@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:34f5bsF46up3iU1@individual.net...
>
> "Shabby" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> news:9DmEd.1006$SS6.225@trnddc07...
>> Not sure if anyone has tried but it's a blast. Kinda like Warioware meets
>> the platform jumper. Just quick little levels.
>
> I respect your opinion. Here's mine:
>
> Rare's worst game ever. Zero playability, no longevity. I can bet that it
> wasn't the Stampers who wrote this POS, as it's nowhere near as good as
> the 20 year old original.
>
> D.
>
>

Is it based on the Spectrum game of the same name?
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:24:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Shabby" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:o 7nFd.13362$ig7.866@trnddc04...

>I MAME all the retro stuff and play originals! Definitely fun.

On a GBA? Can you get MAME for this platform?

D.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:28:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"BlackKnight" <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote in message
news:cs66ca$urv$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...

>> Rare's worst game ever. Zero playability, no longevity. I can bet that it
>> wasn't the Stampers who wrote this POS, as it's nowhere near as good as
>> the 20 year old original.

> Is it based on the Spectrum game of the same name?

Hmm. It's written by RARE, who were formerly Ultimate, who wrote the
original Spectrum game. So yes, it's based very, very loosely on it. The
difference being that the spectrum version was playable, and maddeningly
addictive - which are qualities that the GBA version doesn't possess.

D.
January 14, 2005 3:29:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Dunny" <paul.dunn4@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:34nltcF49m56pU1@individual.net...
> "BlackKnight" <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote in message
> news:cs66ca$urv$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
>>> Rare's worst game ever. Zero playability, no longevity. I can bet that
>>> it wasn't the Stampers who wrote this POS, as it's nowhere near as good
>>> as the 20 year old original.
>
>> Is it based on the Spectrum game of the same name?
>
> Hmm. It's written by RARE, who were formerly Ultimate, who wrote the
> original Spectrum game. So yes, it's based very, very loosely on it. The
> difference being that the spectrum version was playable, and maddeningly
> addictive - which are qualities that the GBA version doesn't possess.
>
> D.
>
>

I can just about remember the Spectrum version, I think I got Sabre Wulf in
a 4-game pack. I do remember drawing a map for the game though because I got
fed up with going down the same dead end.

Another good Ultimate (I think) game was Attic Attack, similar sort of
thing, we played that for hours.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:09:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"BlackKnight" <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote in message
news:cs73r5$8dg$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...

> I can just about remember the Spectrum version, I think I got Sabre Wulf
> in a 4-game pack. I do remember drawing a map for the game though because
> I got fed up with going down the same dead end.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.dunn4/SabreMap.png

Enjoy :) 

> Another good Ultimate (I think) game was Attic Attack, similar sort of
> thing, we played that for hours.

You should check out a decent Emulator - I myself would recommend one, but
modesty forbids. Then head to www.worldofspectrum.org and get some games to
relive, or head to www.rzxarchive.co.uk and enjoy some recordings of the old
games being completed. (needs an RZX-capable emulator).

Unfortunately, you'll not find any Ultimate games, cos RARE have denied
distribution due to having been a subsidiary of Nintendo, and having to
abide by Nintendo's stance on emulation.

A well thought-out google search (or an email to the right people) will net
the games for you.

D.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 2:58:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Dunny wrote:

> "BlackKnight" <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote in message
> news:cs73r5$8dg$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
>> I can just about remember the Spectrum version, I think I got Sabre Wulf
>> in a 4-game pack. I do remember drawing a map for the game though because
>> I got fed up with going down the same dead end.
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.dunn4/SabreMap.png
>
> Enjoy :) 
>
>> Another good Ultimate (I think) game was Attic Attack, similar sort of
>> thing, we played that for hours.
>
> You should check out a decent Emulator - I myself would recommend one, but
> modesty forbids. Then head to www.worldofspectrum.org and get some games
> to relive, or head to www.rzxarchive.co.uk and enjoy some recordings of
> the old games being completed. (needs an RZX-capable emulator).
>
> Unfortunately, you'll not find any Ultimate games, cos RARE have denied
> distribution due to having been a subsidiary of Nintendo, and having to
> abide by Nintendo's stance on emulation.
>
> A well thought-out google search (or an email to the right people) will
> net the games for you.
>
> D.

Have u guys actually tried the original Sabre Wulf these days? It's fun, but
for about 1 minute then u realise there's no progress / story / etc which
we've been spoiled by over the last decade or so. The only progress is
knowing there's 256 screens to explore (which all look practically the
same).

--
From Mr. Bogus (aka Paul) - hiding place reality.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 3:31:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Mr. Bogus" <paulrahme@backwards.moc.oohay> wrote in message
news:csb0gd$2c3$2@titan.btinternet.com...

> Have u guys actually tried the original Sabre Wulf these days?

Errr.. Yes, that's what I used to make the map :) 

> It's fun, but
> for about 1 minute then u realise there's no progress / story / etc which
> we've been spoiled by over the last decade or so. The only progress is
> knowing there's 256 screens to explore (which all look practically the
> same).

Even so, the gameplay is fantastic. Trying to stay alive really does rely on
quick wit and dexterity, and the game is very, very unforgiving. There were
gameplay tricks to learn, moves with the sword, where you could ambush
characters, how to use the Natives to find the amulet pieces, how to
navigate a vertical tunnel when you can only kill to the left and right...

You have to remember that the game had to fit into 48kb of RAM (of which 7kb
was screen memory) which is a pitiful amount of RAM. All the story had to be
packaged with the game - there was no room for it in-game. The progress was
subtle. You could see the end of the game at the very start, but getting
there was very hard work. When you finally had battled through, found the
cliffs you saw, and the exit... and realised that you don't have all the
amulet pieces. AS you got nearer the goal the monsters you fight changed -
new ones started appearing, natives got nastier, small changes to the jungle
layout...

Nowadays, yes, all the progress is very overt. The original is extremely
hard - you got 3 lives, and no more. No continues, no game-saves. Finishing
a game now is at best a satisfying experience, but back then it was a
triumph, worthy of celebration (which usually meant a bottle of pop and a
bag of crisps). I'll not even start on the school-based games culture that
ran on homemade maps on graph paper and pokes written in the back of a
schoolbook...

We've lost so much, only to be replaced by weak stories and "improved"
graphics.

D.
January 16, 2005 2:32:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Dunny" <paul.dunn4@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:34sgpfF4duqquU1@individual.net...
> "Mr. Bogus" <paulrahme@backwards.moc.oohay> wrote in message
> news:csb0gd$2c3$2@titan.btinternet.com...
>
>> Have u guys actually tried the original Sabre Wulf these days?
>
> Errr.. Yes, that's what I used to make the map :) 
>
>> It's fun, but
>> for about 1 minute then u realise there's no progress / story / etc which
>> we've been spoiled by over the last decade or so. The only progress is
>> knowing there's 256 screens to explore (which all look practically the
>> same).
>
> Even so, the gameplay is fantastic. Trying to stay alive really does rely
> on quick wit and dexterity, and the game is very, very unforgiving. There
> were gameplay tricks to learn, moves with the sword, where you could
> ambush characters, how to use the Natives to find the amulet pieces, how
> to navigate a vertical tunnel when you can only kill to the left and
> right...
>
> You have to remember that the game had to fit into 48kb of RAM (of which
> 7kb was screen memory) which is a pitiful amount of RAM. All the story had
> to be packaged with the game - there was no room for it in-game. The
> progress was subtle. You could see the end of the game at the very start,
> but getting there was very hard work. When you finally had battled
> through, found the cliffs you saw, and the exit... and realised that you
> don't have all the amulet pieces. AS you got nearer the goal the monsters
> you fight changed - new ones started appearing, natives got nastier, small
> changes to the jungle layout...
>
> Nowadays, yes, all the progress is very overt. The original is extremely
> hard - you got 3 lives, and no more. No continues, no game-saves.
> Finishing a game now is at best a satisfying experience, but back then it
> was a triumph, worthy of celebration (which usually meant a bottle of pop
> and a bag of crisps). I'll not even start on the school-based games
> culture that ran on homemade maps on graph paper and pokes written in the
> back of a schoolbook...
>
> We've lost so much, only to be replaced by weak stories and "improved"
> graphics.
>
> D.
>

It wasn't school books for me. Although I do remember standing in the
newsagents reading pokes out of the latest Speccy magazine for someone else
to write down. Oh and half the time they didn't help.

The worst thing about those days has got to be sitting in front of the
screen for 5 minutes watching the border flash only to find that the game
didn't actually load because, in my Plus 2 days, the head was ever so
slightly out of alignment!
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 2:29:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"BlackKnight" <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote in message
news:csc967$2ek$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

> It wasn't school books for me. Although I do remember standing in the
> newsagents reading pokes out of the latest Speccy magazine for someone
> else to write down. Oh and half the time they didn't help.

Lol! Then you need the TipShop!

http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/

Which aims to be (and is doing a bloody good job of being) the single
largest repository of Spectrum game pokes, maps, tips etc. A godsend.

> The worst thing about those days has got to be sitting in front of the
> screen for 5 minutes watching the border flash only to find that the game
> didn't actually load because, in my Plus 2 days, the head was ever so
> slightly out of alignment!

Lol :) 

Yes, I remember those (and still get problems with my +2e). Fortunately
these days I'm co-authoring a spectrum emulation, so tapes load for us in a
matter of 2 or 3 seconds rather than minutes. We've recently put a lot of
work into identifying loading schemes and accelerating them, and the result
is very pleasing :) 

D.
!