Should my CPU be ok?

BlackamusJones

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
The pins on my CPU aren't 100% aligned, but will fit right into a cpu socket just fine.

Spent some time trying to twist the heatsink off, which I shou'dve just warmed up with the blow dryer to begin with. That may have stopped them from being perfectly in line... but anyway...

What I mean by not 100% aligned is that from any sort of distance they look like they are in great uniform. But when you get really really close to it and look down the rows, you can tell that they aren't 100% in line. Maybe even a good 98-99%, but not the full hundred.

My new motherboard will be coming soon, and I tried putting the cpu in an old dead motherboard with the same socket (AM3.) The CPU seemed to drop in the socket just fine. I was just wondering if I'll be alright, or if there's still a problem.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Try not to "play about with it" too much. Don't dump it on and off various motherboards to "test" it. Just wait till you new motherboard arrives, place it on, use the ZIF socket to lock it in place and it should be fine.

Until then, keep it somewhere safe where further damage cant occur.