Sign in with
Your question

High Case Temps.. Ive read alot of articles but still want help.

Last response: in Components
October 5, 2011 5:49:22 AM

Hello, i recently built my first system. my specs are below

Cpu: AMD 955be 3.2ghz Stock cooling
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Micro Atx AMD3+ ready it was cheap and had good feedback.
GPU: Asus GTX 560 1GB so far very happy with this card.
Mem : Corsair 4gb Kit 2x2gb 1300mhz
HDD seagate 500bg 7200 rpm drive
Disk Samsung dvd burner
Psu Ocz 80+ 600 wattmod xstream top mounted
Ok the case now this is a Gigabyte Setto 2 model It has a full sized mesh side window so i guess there is a chance it may be messing with my air circulation.. Now the case came equipped with 2 case fans one 120mm Gigabyte exhaust fan and one front mounted down the bottom intake fan 120mm blowing on my HDD bay which is sideways and does stop alot of air i Believe.. the problem is the way the fans were wired is that they both run of the same wire to the motherboard fan header so there is no way anyway these are running at there max RPM surely? when i put my hand on the back fan there is air coming out but it feels like someone blowing softly on your hand?

during gaming crysis 2 and bf3 beta my cpu is around 55-56 degrees which is reasonable but during summer i will be worried it will go even higher.

My case temp shows however with like HW monitor and gigabyte easytune like around 45 degrees when gaming i think this is a little bit to hot I know pc parts can handle heat but once i start reaching the mid 50's in summer for case temps surely this isnt to good in the long run?
I am looking at replacing these case fans with 2 scythe 3000rpm 120mm 134cfm airflow one connected to the case fan header and one running through a molex connecter.
Noise is not a problem do you think having such a strong exhaust fan it will help lower case temps well? or is my case holding me back due to the open air approach with the side panel?
sorry if this post is all over the place it is my first time here.
thanks for your help in advance

October 5, 2011 4:43:25 PM

Hi and welcome to Toms :) 
is this your box?
http://www.pcx.com.ph/media/catalog/product/cache/1/ima...
if you get mid 50's whilst gaming I wouldn't worry too much hehe
your graphics card creates the most heat in a build usually but your temps dont seem that bad to me so far,
do you want rid of the mesh side?
there are ways hehe, and having the side 'sealed' as it were would help airflow a bit
but as I said, I dont see anything for you to worry about at the moment man
Moto
m
l
October 5, 2011 5:09:47 PM

Your case is an unfortunate selection for a gaming case. There is not enough output area to exhaust the heat.

Since noise is not an issue, go ahead and install the high rpm fans, they will certainly help.
Is it possible to remove the middle hdd cage and mount the hard drive elsewhere? Possibly a 5 1/2" bay?

If you are so inclined, I can recommend the silverstone TJ08-E case for m-atc motherboards. $99. It has a 180mm intake fan, and that is all that is needed to cool a GTX580.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2011 12:38:52 PM

Thanks for your help Guys..
I will likely just buy some better fans in the future and go from there..
I researched almost everything but did skimp abit on my case so it's my own fault :) 
Thanks again
m
l
October 8, 2011 12:52:20 PM

No probs man, glad to help
Moto
m
l
October 8, 2011 3:08:23 PM

timmy12cs2011 said:
Thanks for your help Guys..
I will likely just buy some better fans in the future and go from there..
I researched almost everything but did skimp abit on my case so it's my own fault :) 
Thanks again

most likely your fans are under powered (around 500rpm). I had a similar issue with a rosewill build (one 120mm front, one back, PSU up top) I did a while back. I simply upgraded the fans with some antecs I had lying around and dropped CPU+GPU temps significantly (5c+).
m
l
!