Red line on monitor

DEY123

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
I am wondering if anyone has seen this before. I occasionally get a vertical red line on my monitor that won't go away. I did some research and it seemed like this is probably a faulty monitor and the only resolutionn is to get a new monitor or a variety of suspect home remedies.

However, at some point it went a way and did not come back for months. It recently just came back in the same spot slightly right of the center and going up 70% of the screen from the bottom. However, it is gone again and it seemed to add evidence to my theory.

I feel that I have been able to determine that it appears/disappears after a BSOD. So any time I try to tweak my OC I run the risk of getting the line, but it then goes away if after another few BSODs. I would say the BSOD causes a change in the line appearing or disappearing about 10 to 25% of the times I BSOD. Of course I don't really want to run a series of tests to find out more about how many BSODs or the cause of them as that does not seem super healthy for my equipment.

Also the OC I am talking about is a CPU one not for the Graphics card.

Anyhow has anyone else seen this and any ideas on why it happens. Just something that struck me as odd.

Try the monitor on another computer .
Usually when its the monitor it wouldnt be an intermittent problem .It would be permanent and terminal pretty quickly

either gfx card is clocked too high , or the gfx driver is faulty

DEY123

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011

One other thing...When this happened a few months ago I was using a 9800GT and now I have a GTX460. So it has happened with two different cards and the 9800 was not OC'd. I am running nvidia's latest driver (which of course is a different version then what I was running when it happened the first time). As of right now I do not have the red line but next time I get it (if it appears again) I will hook up another machine to it and confrim that is not the monitor.