Sign in with
Your question

Faulty psu or graphics card

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2011 7:46:59 AM

how can a bad or faulty psu affect a graphics card,i have had alot of trouble with a gigabyte gtx 560 ti oc card,noisey and crashing in some games,returned it twice to gigabyte warranty,second time they gave me a new card,but still had some crashes and i reduced the clock speed from 900mhz to 870mhz,this helped the stability,but a month or so later when i started my pc it made a loud noise from the fans on the card and had no VGA signal,i returned it and requested a replacement of a different brand,(gainward)hoping to avoid the same issue again with the gigabyte card,the store says it could be mt psu,but i am unsure.. my system is new,here is the specs..any help is much appreciated..thanks

asrock p67 pro b3 m-board

antec 650watt true power psu

wd caviar black 1 tb hard drive

coolermaster storm enforcer case

hyper 212 cpu cooler

core I5 2500k cpu(not overclocked)

windows 7 64 bit
October 5, 2011 7:56:01 AM

mrclownface said:
how can a bad or faulty psu affect a graphics card,i have had alot of trouble with a gigabyte gtx 560 ti oc card,noisey and crashing in some games,returned it twice to gigabyte warranty,second time they gave me a new card,but still had some crashes and i reduced the clock speed from 900mhz to 870mhz,this helped the stability,but a month or so later when i started my pc it made a loud noise from the fans on the card and had no VGA signal,i returned it and requested a replacement of a different brand,(gainward)hoping to avoid the same issue again with the gigabyte card,the store says it could be mt psu,but i am unsure.. my system is new,here is the specs..any help is much appreciated..thanks

asrock p67 pro b3 m-board

antec 650watt true power psu

wd caviar black 1 tb hard drive

coolermaster storm enforcer case

hyper 212 cpu cooler

core I5 2500k cpu(not overclocked)

windows 7 64 bit

Weird the Antec should be more then enough, Maybe a bad PCI-E wire it happens if not it is a Power supply issue at least it would seem that way. When you first turn on a PC it runs at full power and if the card is not getting a strong PCI-E connection the fan will most likely run at 100%. Their is also a chance it could be a motherboard issue, Like bios, or hell even wrong ram settings such as voltage asrock boards can not set the right voltage for ram. I got 2 asrock boards and both messed up the right settings for ram
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 7:58:56 AM

A faulty PSU can cause all sorts of weird problems.

Try to borrow a good 500 watt PSU to test with. If you do not have a lot of components, in the case, a 500 watt PSU is all you need.

m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2011 8:03:20 AM

jdwii said:
Weird the Antec should be more then enough, Maybe a bad PCI-E wire it happens if not it is a Power supply issue at least it would seem that way. When you first turn on a PC it runs at full power and if the card is not getting a strong PCI-E connection the fan will most likely run at 100%.

the fans on the card seem fine when i first turn on the pc(idle speed/quiet)its when i run games that it gets noisey,and have had some crashes when running BBC2(bad company 2)it was a few days ago when i restarted the pc from sleep mode the fans made a loud noise,and had no signal on monitor,rebooted a few times but had same problem,so i returned it to the store again
m
l
October 5, 2011 8:08:11 AM

mrclownface said:
the fans on the card seem fine when i first turn on the pc(idle speed/quiet)its when i run games that it gets noisey,and have had some crashes when running BBC2(bad company 2)it was a few days ago when i restarted the pc from sleep mode the fans made a loud noise,and had no signal on monitor,rebooted a few times but had same problem,so i returned it to the store again

Unless bad drivers. I mean try running GPU-Z and check out your temps. on your card i can't believe it would be overheating. You are using the latest drivers right.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2011 8:23:43 AM

jdwii said:
Unless bad drivers. I mean try running GPU-Z and check out your temps. on your card i can't believe it would be overheating. You are using the latest drivers right.

i first used the nvidia drivers but had problems and installed the gigabyte drivers,i found that to be alot more stable,the temps are fine on GPU-Z..thanks
m
l
October 5, 2011 5:32:22 PM

mrclownface said:
i first used the nvidia drivers but had problems and installed the gigabyte drivers,i found that to be alot more stable,the temps are fine on GPU-Z..thanks

I'd say to try Nvidia latest drivers and did you watch your temps during gaming what temps are you getting. I had 2 asrock boards before and each one keeped messing up becease the ram was on the wrong voltage make sure you check that. Ram can do this to like not starting up during sleep or what not.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2011 7:13:54 PM

jdwii said:
I'd say to try Nvidia latest drivers and did you watch your temps during gaming what temps are you getting. I had 2 asrock boards before and each one keeped messing up becease the ram was on the wrong voltage make sure you check that. Ram can do this to like not starting up during sleep or what not.

i will try that.the temps are around 53-55c on GPU-z,seems fine,thanks for your help
m
l
October 5, 2011 7:54:43 PM

Best thing you can do is test test test. Get a different PSU to test the system, borrow one of a friend etc...
If this doesn't solve the problem you need to run some stress tests on your graphics card, I recommend furmark, see if you get any BSOD or crashing.
Thirdly test your RAM for stability, memtest is your friend.
m
l
October 5, 2011 7:55:20 PM

In addition check that your ram is running at the correct voltage...
m
l
October 5, 2011 9:51:16 PM

l7ete said:
In addition check that your ram is running at the correct voltage...

Bad thing is not everyone has a different PSU. I would say run prime 95 and Furmark at the same time and see if the computer restarts Also he should monitor temps WHILE gaming.
m
l
February 20, 2013 8:44:29 PM

Fan speed of gpu cooler will be at its peak .. and there would also be a problem with display ... like flickering ,, vertical lines ,,,n artifacts ,,,,
m
l
!