Sign in with
Your question

CFX Instability

Last response: in Systems
July 8, 2011 7:27:19 PM

Hey guys I have a Problem with a my recent build...

My system keeps giving me sudden drops in fps and 3d applications freezing the screen...
It all starts happening after installing another 5870... Any suggestions?
Would really appreciate your help

System Specs:
AMD Phenom II x6 1090t with corsair H50 running at 3.8ghz only oc'd using the multiplier
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
16GB DDR3 1600mhz GSKILL Ripjaws Memory running at 1600mhz 9.9.9.24 @ 1.5v
XFX ATI Radeon 5870 in Crossfire X2
Coolermaster 850w Silent Pro Modular PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Please tell me what could be the problem here???
everything works well apart from when i crossfire the second 5870... somebody told me is could be the psu but on the ATI website the requirements for 5870 cfx are 600w or greater psu?? I have 850w...
What could be the problem here??? Help is much much appreciated Thank you

More about : cfx instability

July 8, 2011 8:11:36 PM

How is the cooling inside the case, is there good airflow going through with the 2nd card installed?
Because the 5870's usually bring the hot air into the case due to how the connectors are in the back of the card. So that there is only a small hole for the hot air to get out.

How are the temps on the cards, because it seems like there might be some throttling involved because the cards get too hot.

The psu should be enough to handle the OC and your cards in crossfire.
July 8, 2011 10:55:36 PM

well according to msi afterburner the cards do not exceed over 65 degrees on 100% load tested in in unigine heaven dx11.... i have an NZXT Phantom case with a 200mm fan blowing right onto the cards... the cards are non reference cards though...
hope it helps
Related resources
July 8, 2011 10:56:48 PM

BTW i had a bad memory stick and i took that out and left with only 12GB right now..
Apart from that the CFX Instability issue is still there... thought i should include this info...
July 9, 2011 12:59:30 AM

Just a bit of two sense to cover the basics. Have you tried updating the drivers? Also a idea to help us figure out what is wrong try using just ONE 5870 but use the new one you bought not the original see if the problem is still there.
July 9, 2011 1:07:50 AM

I have updated the drivers numerous times even when i made corssfire i removed the drivers and reinstalled all the display drivers off the AMD website again...
I will check the new card as single and post back.. Cheers mate
!