Crossfire 5850 + 5850 Xtreme

Armor42

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hi all,

Last year I built a PC with a Sapphire HD5850 (model number 100282-3SR) with the intention of one day buying another and crossfiring them. I know that my system is fully capable of running crossfire, and I think that it would benefit me considering I play my games at 1920x1080 and very high settings.

Here's my question: should I have any trouble running crossfire with my old Sapphire HD5850 and one of the new Sapphire HD5850 Xtreme cards? The new Xtremes run at around $150 or less, so this seems like a great deal and good excuse to start running crossfire if it can significantly improve performance in most newer games. Assuming these two cards are fully compatible, do you guys have any suggestions or advice for someone like me who has never run crossfire?

Thank you!

It should work just fine. "should" lol

But anyway best thing to do is uninstall current drivers, then power down and install the 2nd card and a CF bridge. Then boot up and reinstall new drivers and make sure to enable CF in Catalyst Control Center. You also want to download and install the CF App Profiles (CAP) which are on the same page as the latest AMD drivers. After that just test it out and check your GPU usage in MSI Afterburner or GPUZ.

Never ran crossfire myself but i can tell you the cards will be fine together, just be sure you have the PSU to run them both. I'm sure the net will have a how to add a second GPU guide out there some where but im fairly confident that it cant be to difficult.

Mactronix :)