32 GB computer RAM, bad graphics card

AceDarkstar

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Hello, I checked up on virtual video RAM, and I can't find anything good about it, so I decided to ask here. I have 8GB Ram Corsair Vengeance (x2) and Kingston 8GB Ram (x2) So it is a bit overkill, but I had nothing to do with the extras, so yeah, was wondering if I could use it to some advantage, which in my case is boosting graphics card performance.

InvalidError

Titan
16GB is already about twice as much as most games can use including the OS' disk cache and other stuff with several GBs to spare. Adding even more RAM is unlikely to help in any way unless you have either a massive number of applications open at the same time or a few large ones.

The graphics card cannot make much effective use system RAM since 256bits GPU's on-board RAM has 120-160GB/s bandwidth vs ~12GB/s for system memory some of which is either already used by the CPU or being streamed to the GPU so system memory can only make a negligible contribution to the GPU's available bandwidth pool.

Usually, by the time your graphics settings are tuned high enough that the GPU needs to start actively using system RAM, you are into unplayable framerate territory. In the few cases where that may not be the case, the GPU having to stream textures from much slower system RAM will nuke framerates anyhow, which leaves you in the same tough spot.

AceDarkstar

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
I know. Like I said, I had nothing to do with my extras from the old computer, decided to pop it in.
Computer Specs
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model Z68MA-D2H-B3
32.0 GB RAM
64-bit operating system
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Powercolor AMD Radeon HD 6770
1920x1080

What you stated in the first post of your thread and just now in your last post don't add up; 8GB of two kits is 16GB?!

First, I really don't recommend mixing RAM and never recommend if there's a typo two kits of 8GB/stick density RAM unless you're running them below Rated.

I have 32GB and frankly wish I had 64GB and there's a decent chance 8x4GB is going up for eBay. Gaming today 8GB is the minimum for fully optimized performance. So >8GB is for product lines like Adobe or Rendering and then I've seen folks with 128GB Workstations.

So simply said it all depends on YOUR use. Gamer's with 32GB typically have a RAM Drive and even RAM Cache to their drives (SSD or HDD).