Sign in with
Your question

Newly build gaming desktop, cant get on internet asus p8z77-v lx

Last response: in Motherboards
June 28, 2012 1:28:22 PM

Hello guys yesterday i finished building my pc, i booted it up installed windows.
Then i installed my drivers of my mobo like i'm supossed to, however my internet wont turn on/detect anything..
i am however conected to the internet on my iphone and my laptop, i reinstalled my os/ reinstalled all drivers..
Kind of desperate. would appriciate any help
PS: my lan card= realtek 8111E Gigabit lan controller.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 1:37:18 PM

Open the Device Manager and look for any {? or !} listed devices. I assume you installed the Chipset drivers (generally do those 1st). Use the latest drivers for the ASUS P8Z77-V LX - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

The very latest Realtek NIC drivers- http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?...

Failure boot in Safe Mode with Networking and reinstall the NIC drivers - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Start-your-...
Related resources
June 28, 2012 1:43:49 PM

jaquith said:
Open the Device Manager and look for any {? or !} listed devices. I assume you installed the Chipset drivers (generally do those 1st). Use the latest drivers for the ASUS P8Z77-V LX - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

The very latest Realtek NIC drivers- http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?...

Failure boot in Safe Mode with Networking and reinstall the NIC drivers - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Start-your-...

i did all 3 of those, still nothing, i really have no clue why it's not working..
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 1:45:02 PM

Is it recognized in the device manager? Do u have any yellow question marks?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 1:46:43 PM

Something like that.
June 28, 2012 1:47:57 PM

nikorr said:
Is it recognized in the device manager? Do u have any yellow question marks?

yep it's recognized
Network adapters_Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, no yellow question marks anywhere..
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 1:50:04 PM

Try to [x] Delete the Driver software, reboot and re-install. If you have any third-party Firewall then Disable for now.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 1:51:47 PM

Yep, try that ^.
June 28, 2012 1:53:27 PM

okay will try in 15 min, gote help my dad with something
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 1:57:45 PM

By any chance, did u install the Network iControl?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 1:58:19 PM

Also make certain you have a CAT-5e/6 (non-crossover) cable connected, and if possible flip the cable around.

Q - What LAN lights, if any, do you see? (colors)
June 28, 2012 2:01:40 PM

jaquith said:
Also make certain you have a CAT-5e/6 (non-crossover) cable connected, and if possible flip the cable around.

i looked into my manual and i only have 3 onboar LED's standby power led (green)
Dram led green
And gpu boost LED wich is red
June 28, 2012 2:03:25 PM

jaquith said:

i dont have an ethernet cable like that, im trying to connect to our wireless modem, (we dont use cables in our house) we all use wireless and it would be hard to get a cable in my room.
June 28, 2012 2:04:30 PM

nikorr said:
By any chance, did u install the Network iControl?

i installed my chipset driver, audio driver, lan drivers, and usb drivers. (from the cd that came into the box, and i manually updated them to the latest.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 2:14:21 PM

U don't have to install the driver if u don't use the Ethernet port.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 2:15:07 PM

Did u install the adapter driver?

What adapter is it?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 2:15:19 PM

restllesss said:
i dont have an ethernet cable like that, im trying to connect to our wireless modem, (we dont use cables in our house) we all use wireless and it would be hard to get a cable in my room.

First, the MOBO's NIC is not wireless and if the 'wireless' is not a 'Wireless Ethernet Bridge' then it won't work.

Q - What EXACT Device are you connected to? ; I prefer a link.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 2:31:51 PM

Wired:
MOBO's NIC -wired CAT5e/6-> Motorola's Ethernet ports (1-4)

MOBO's NIC -wired CAT5e/6-> (PowerLine)** /Wall Plugs/ (PowerLine)** -wired CAT5e/6-> Motorola's Ethernet ports (1-4)

Wireless:
MOBO + (WiFi Adapter)** -wireless-> Motorola WiFi
MOBO's NIC -wired CAT5e/6-> (Wireless Ethernet Bridge)** -wireless-> Motorola WiFi

**Requires additional purchase.
June 28, 2012 2:36:36 PM

nikorr said:
Did u install the adapter driver?

What adapter is it?

yep i also installed the driver for the ethernet card (also uninstalled like you said , still nothing..
This is really geting frustrating...
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 2:43:21 PM

Describe what's connected to what and using what?

The only 'wired' (NIC) solution is:
June 28, 2012 2:43:40 PM

jaquith said:
Wired:

MOBO's NIC -wired CAT5e/6-> (PowerLine)** /Wall Plugs/ (PowerLine)** -wired CAT5e/6-> Motorola's Ethernet ports (1-4)

Wireless:
MOBO + (WiFi Adapter)** -wireless-> Motorola WiFi
MOBO's NIC -wired CAT5e/6-> (Wireless Ethernet Bridge)** -wireless-> Motorola WiFi

**Requires additional purchase.

i am using wireless so i wouldent need to purchase anything else? it's a standard modem of telenet( our internet provider, my dad and my mom both have macs and they work , it also worked on my laptop without a problem, same for other 2 brothers.. only having problems with my desktop
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 2:43:51 PM

Its like Jaquith posted ^ in his last post.

June 28, 2012 2:44:45 PM

restllesss said:
i am using wireless so i wouldent need to purchase anything else? it's a standard modem of telenet( our internet provider, my dad and my mom both have macs and they work , it also worked on my laptop without a problem, same for other 2 brothers.. only having problems with my desktop

nikorr said:
Its like Jaquith posted ^ in his last post.

but how is that possible we are with 3 people on our wireless atm, and it supports up to 15
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 2:45:46 PM

Wired Ethernet LAN

You can connect any PC with an Ethernet LAN port to the SVG1501 Ethernet
connection. Because the SVG1501 Ethernet port supports auto-MDIX, you can use a
straight-through or cross-over cable to connect a hub, switch, or computer. Use
category 5, or better, cabling for all Ethernet connections.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 2:46:14 PM

restllesss said:
but how is that possible we are with 3 people on our wireless atm, and it supports up to 15

Do they have laptops? Or tablets?

Or anything else, with built in wifi adapter?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 2:48:05 PM

Do u have anything in your PC that can receive the wireless signal?
June 28, 2012 2:55:40 PM

jaquith said:
Describe what's connected to what and using what?

The only 'wired' (NIC) solution is:

i took some pics, and I DONT want to use wired i want to use wireLESS ( not meant in a bad way :D ) here are teh cables

the white one is for our digital tv, the black one is the power cord, and the big white one is also for the tv, our modem just sends a signal but i still have this freaking sign..

at the right hand corner.. sigh this is depressing lol..
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 3:10:29 PM

What's the MOBO's NIC (wired-only) connected to?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 3:27:03 PM

Trust me I've tried them all, my choices in order:

1. Wired ; period the best
2. PowerLine ; speeds are very good, low latency, and rock solid bandwidth

3. WiFi Card with GOOD antenna (N or newest 802.11AC draft)
4. Wireless Ethernet Bridge ; used them PITA to configure

Watch the video I posted.

Again, what's the MOBO's NIC connected to??
June 28, 2012 3:28:56 PM

well it's says the adapter is not connected ( when it is because i am on the internet right no?) as far i know i havent plugged anything ethernet related into my mobo.. also looked trough my manual but i dont think i need to plug anything in my mobo for it..
June 28, 2012 3:31:03 PM

it also show's me this:
June 28, 2012 3:37:06 PM

so i seriously bought a mobo without wireless internet?
*** me if this is true?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 3:49:31 PM

Yep.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 3:50:57 PM

PCI cards are weak, USB's are better.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 4:00:48 PM

One, like this one. Best I've had and still have.

I wouldn't get any PCI wireless card anymore. Get instead USB, it has more power, faster reconnecting times and longer distance coverage.

I have Amped Wireless UA600 and after I got rid off my Linksys PCI card for this, What a difference that is. (I had this one and 2 others ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

No more disconnections, PCI device slows down the boot time too. When I start the PC, type the password, and click on tom's HW shortcut, it is displayed in a second!

With that PCI (had 2 more to try) it started to connect after log in and it took few seconds.

Love it! My wife's iPad has about 6 networks to connect, I have about 40!

Linksys had about dozen.

Also this USB has 2 USB connections, for better strength, as it supply more power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 4:17:20 PM

jaquith said:

Most equipment manufactured over the past 8-10 years has automatic cross-over, which makes patch and cross-over cables interchangeable. Only one endpoint needs to support auto-MDI for it to work, which makes things even simpler.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 6:50:19 PM

With auto-MDI/MDIX, patch cables and cross-over cables are interchangeable. It does not matter which one you use, the ICs at both/either end automatically detect it and adjust accordingly. If only one end suports it, it detects whether or not internal cross-over needs to be enabled and switches it on if necessary. If both ends support auto-MDI/MDIX, the two endpoints negotiate which one will switch to internal cross-over if necessary.

Unless you have "ancient" devices, there is no need to stock patch cables nor worry about accidentally using cross-over cables where patch cables "should" be used. Either can be used anywhere the other can because it is pretty much certain that at least one endpoint supports auto-MDI/X, most likely both.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 6:56:39 PM

The OP is dealing with a (cheap) mass produced Telco/Cable Router...so better safe than sorry. However, the OP assumed the NIC was Wireless so nothing is plugged into the MOBO's NIC.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 7:22:31 PM

jaquith said:
The OP is dealing with a (cheap) mass produced Telco/Cable Router...

Motorola's modems are perfectly fine at least as far as wired connectivity goes and the auto-MDIX in nearly all gateways/routers is provided by a monolithic switch IC that operates independently from the rest of the modem/router, which makes it nearly impossible for integrators to mess it up.

Of course, as great and ubiquitous as auto-MDIX may be, there is nothing it can do about a missing cable between the Ethernet port and the HPNA adapter.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b \ Driver
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 7:41:15 PM

The OP's Router does support it, I still don't recommend those cables and nothing you're going to post will ever change my mind to avoid them. Stick with either TIA T568A or T568B cabling and wiring -- less issues and less a chance of some oddball problem.

I practice 'smart' and conforming practices and not those that 'can' end-up causing issues. Reduce Potential Problems!

"Because the SVG1501 Ethernet port supports auto-MDIX, you can use a straight-through or cross-over cable to connect a hub, switch, or computer.
!