Case Mod & PC build for "Battlefield 3"

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Here is the "BF3" theme case mod in anticipation of Battlefield 3: BF3 release on 10.25.2011 by Electronic Arts. Fractal Design's Arc Mid tower case was chosen for the project.

Fractal Design new "Arc" Midi Tower Case.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech1.jpg

Fractal design Arc Mid tower fully dismantled for custom paint.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech2.jpg

The name badge in the bezel was filled with Evercoat's Everglass" Fiberglass "short hair" filler.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech3.jpg

After sanding the filler with Medium Grit sandpaper..

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech4.jpg

Scuffing surface of steel chassis parts, plastic bezel with Red Scothbrite Pad, to create paint adhesion for the Primer.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech5.jpg

Dissected and Magnified each segment from camouflage pattern on 8.5" x 11" paper. Each segment was traced and cut in cardboard for individual stencils.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech5a.jpg

RUSTOLEUM Specialty series "camouflage" paints. I purchased these from Home Depot

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech8.jpg

Camouflage paint job is finished.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech7.jpg

Camouflaged motherboard tray? Yes, the entire interior was painted.

For a rugged military look, we chose these recessed PC case handles, http://www.mnpctech.com/BlackRecessedHandle.html

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9a2.jpg

The recessed PC handles are ready for installation and spring loaded, so they don't flop while transporting your PC.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9b.jpg

Using stencil included with handles along with measuring square to determine exact location for the recessed PC handles

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9c.jpg

Using 1.5" Dremel reinforced cutting wheel to cut opening for recessed PC handles

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9f.jpg

Using 1/4" drill bit for mounting holes of the recessed handles.

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9d.jpg

Cutting 3/16" thick aluminum Diamond Plate to use as accent plates for the handles.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9e.jpg

Khaki base coat applied to the Diamond Plate accent plates.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9g.jpg

Recessed PC handles and diamond plate installed and painted.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9a.jpg

Airbrushed effect of side panel being peeled back by Mnpctech custom painter, Brad Galvin.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9i.jpg

Brad's weapon of choice, Iwata's HP-CH airbrush gun.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9j.jpg

Glowing effect airbrushed on the BF3 Marine.

battlefield_3_pc_case_mod_outside2.jpg

Black outline airbrushed on BF3 Marine. A flat clear will be applied over the finished mural.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9l.jpg

with Brad's guidance, I airbrushed the bullet holes and scratched paint effects on the access panel. I started with the easy task of filling the BF3 stencil on the left side panel.

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9m.jpg

battlefield_3_pc_case_mod_outside3.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech_dremel_window_etching_bit_guide.jpg

To create bullet holes in the cast acrylic PC window sheet, using #9901 Dremel Attachment Tungsten Carbide Cutter for Engraving

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9p.jpg

Using Dremel to create bullet holes...

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9q.jpg

The illusion of bullet holes, created in the custom paint and made in the cast acrylic PC window sheet

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9r.jpg

Just a few more details to take care of, then we can install the system!

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
very very nice work. I wish i was able to do art :(. im fine with all the sheet metal but when it comes to a brush i might as well finger paint. excellent case tho, grats. now i can only pray that BF3 lives up to the case you have built for it...

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Very cool! and Yes, it's amazing how this market has grown. I would have never imagined there would be $300+ retail cases on the market...now we're seeing $600+ retail prices for Silverstone and TT....

Painting the machined aluminum bullet thumbscrews to look more authentic.

bullet.thumbscrew.mnpctech.com1.jpg

The surface is first prepped, using red scotch brite pad to scuff the bare aluminum
wolfensteincasemod.casemodblog9z9z9l.jpg

Is that a "cribbage board" for thumbscrews?, drilling holes in a piece of wood, works great for holding thumbscrews for paint. The threads were taped off.
wolfensteincasemod.casemodblog9z9z9m.jpg

For maximum paint adhesion, we use SEM brand self etching primer for the base coat
wolfensteincasemod.casemodblog9z9z9n.jpg

A couple coats of grey self etching primer
wolfensteincasemod.casemodblog9z9z9o.jpg

for holding the bullet thumbscrews, tape the bullet thumbscrews to paint stick

wolfensteincasemod.casemodblog9z9z9p.jpg

wolfensteincasemod.casemodblog9z9z9r.jpg

Paint entire bullet first copper color first, mask off the tip after cured, then paint the shell brass color.

wolfensteincasemod.casemodblog9z9z9s.jpg

After the paint has cured, I dry brushed the shells with "Antiquing Gel" by Home Decor. "Dry brushing" means you are painting with a brush that is almost 100% dry. It's an easy way to create a weathered effect or highlights. These are machined aluminum bullet thumbscrews

wolfensteincasemod.casemodblog9z9z9t.jpg

After 2 hours, the "Antiquing Gel" had cured. The final coat is a "Flat" Clear coat aerosol paint by KRYLON

wolfensteincasemod.casemodblog9z9z9u.jpg

wolfensteincasemod.casemodblog9z9z9v.jpg

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
if you dont do this already you need to start offering to mod peoples cases. the cases i worked with were just air brushed and we charged 1K per case. the level of modding you are doing is well above that. you could make bank...

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
More detailing ahead..

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9s.jpg

I'm adding lil weathering beneath rack handles

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9x.jpg

rack handles for bezel, give it more "field equipment" look

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9y.jpg

I torn-up scotch-brite pads are great for adding blotchy or speckled paint effect..

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9t.jpg

After I airbrushed over the Orange paint areas.... I also shaded over the "BF3" text...

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech9v.jpg

Ok, now it's Break time, Who is open at 11pm? hmm White Castle SLIDERS! :D

We need more Billet Bullet Thumbscrews! these will be lodged in the window holes...

Painting the machined aluminum bullet thumbscrews to look more authentic.

bullet.thumbscrew.mnpctech.com1.jpg

bullet.thumbscrew.mnpctech.com2.jpg

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
dude... amazing! do you have a website where you can be contacted by others who want this level of work done? if you dont then as soon as you finish this you need to make one. I know many people who would be willing to pay good money for such extreme and perfect case mods... what you have is a bloody talent that needs to be shared with all for profit.

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
While I'm still waiting for the system hardware to arrive,
I'm adding final details to the interior, like these 140mm Honeycomb Fan Grills for the exhaust and floor intake, I've painting them camouflage, to match the painted interior.

http://www.mnpctech.com/120mm_Custom_FanGrill.html

Supplies in order of Use.
1. Red Scotch brite Pad to scuff the surface of the grills
2. Tack Cloth to clean
3. Red Primer (any color is fine)
4. Apply Rustoleum "Specialty Series" Camouflage Paints
5. Apply Matte Clear

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_140mm_fan_grill_mnpctech1.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech5a.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_140mm_fan_grill_mnpctech2.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_140mm_fan_grill_mnpctech3.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_140mm_fan_grill_mnpctech4.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_140mm_fan_grill_mnpctech5.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_140mm_fan_grill_mnpctech6.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_140mm_fan_grill_mnpctech9.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_140mm_fan_grill_mnpctech7.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_140mm_fan_grill_mnpctech8.jpg

Lfluxx

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Dude! This is insane! I've never seen anything like this, its truly amazing. Keep up the awesome work, I wish I could do stuff like this. I was impressed by my little cable management mod but this has just blown that out of the window :p

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Thank you! and Sorry for lack of updates. ..I'm working on 3 other custom builds for CES, and it's getting down to crunch time.. The system hardware for BF3 has finally started arriving, so I could update you! First was Intel's i-7 2600 and Prolimtech Genesis cpu cooler. I was initially concerned about space for install / uninstall of the Patriot memory modules (w/ heat spreaders), but there is plenty of space! I bumped the asus sabertooth optional 50mm fan hole for cooling the P67 chipset to 60mm...and camouflaged the fan too! Final detail was cover the Apevia "Green blade" cooling fans with 120mm billet "Sniper" fan grills

0fangrill_casemod_mnpctech.com_Targeted1.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech_asus_sabertooth_Genesis_Prolimatech1.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech_asus_sabertooth_Genesis_Prolimatech3.jpg

battlefield_3_bf3_case_mod_mnpctech_asus_sabertooth_Genesis_Prolimatech4.jpg

IceBloodedZero

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Astonishing. I didn't know that people were out there that modded Cases to look so unreal. I think I've found something new to watch closely. Thanks for sharing your work MonsterMawd!

Cannot wait to see the final product!