GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) vs. GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
so yeah, the gtx 460 is priced like 50 bucks higher is there any reason i should get the 460 over the 550 ?????

heres the links

gtx 460

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125352

gtx 550

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

also related to my previous post i just bought 2 120mm cooler master fans they're supposed to be rated pretty well but my 750w corsair didnt have a p4 cable so i just had to order a 12v molex to p4 online because microcenter didn't have one. oh well. that wont fry my motherboard or anything right?

I personally would snatch up the 5850 that is going for $140 or so. If you want to stay with nvidia for any reason then gtx 460 hands down however current gen cards do require a lot more care and attention to stay alive for any length of time longer than a few months due to quality concerns.

Amazing ho9w people act when it comes to cards. If you are not comfortable then go ahead with the gtx 550ti as it's needs are less than that of the gtx 460 but do not offer the performance for the dollar. Sli later maybe maybe not as sli is more demanding than a single card setup.

BAMFMF

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
i have a 750w power supply so i have the PSU to support an SLI setup, that's all i was saying. i've never used SLI so i dont know how much more effective it is or if it's even worth it to buy a card thats SLI capable versus just buying a better card. if you had that setup with a 750w + SLI mobo which card would you pick up?

A pair of GTX560's, oh wait I did! :lol:

2 460s or 560s in SLI would be a nice combo. SLI works great. I had a 5850 crossfire setup for around a year and various driver issues with each driver release.

I finally got fed up after the February driver release and the AMD driver team still hadn't fixed issues with BFBC2 (the game had been out almost a year!).

After going to SLI (late Feb 2011) with no driver issues and great performance, it will take a lot of convincing for me to go back to AMD cards any time soon. SLI just works as advertised.