Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Rosewill Green 700w PSU sufficient for 460 GTX SLI?

Last response: in Components
October 5, 2011 2:33:30 PM

Hey all, long time guest, first time poster.

I'm currently running a GTX 460 (MSI Cyclone) on a year-and-a-half old Rosewill Green series 700w PSU which has been working fine since purchase.

In a month or two, I'm looking to upgrade to GTX 460 SLI. Having perused this thread - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/311807-28-tomshardwar... - I'm wondering since I already have the Rosewill whether it's worth it to replace it for one of the higher quality brand models.

As noted in the thread, the Rosewill isn't the best, but I'd rather spend the cash on one of the top tier game releases coming out this holiday season. However, I'll absolutely put the money into the rig first if need be. Since it's worked fine for me thus far, what's the likelihood it will become an issue with the added GPU?

For the record, my hardware is:

NZXT 001BK Black Steel ATX Midsize Case (good air flow)
GIGABYTE PA-P55M-UD2 mobo
Intel i5-750 2.66GHZ Quad Core Processor
MSI Cyclone GTX 460 GPU
Rosewill Green 700W Power Supply
G.SKILL 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR3 RAM
Western Digital 500 GB SATA (primary)
Western Digital 1 TB SATA (secondary)

On a sidenote, how worth it will it be to even get the SLI with my current processor? Will I get a significant bottleneck from my i5? I've heard even with a single GPU in the GTX 460 or higher range that upgrading the processor can give a real performance boost. I was looking to pick up the second 460 card in the $150-175 price range. If a processor upgrade is more important, what would you guys suggest in that range? Let me know if I should post this query separately in a different forum.

Thanks in advance for your help!
a c 694 ) Power supply
October 5, 2011 7:25:19 PM

Yes the 700watts is fine for 2 x GTX460's. Your I5 is still a good high performing CPU and far from being outdated, just overclock it a little.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2011 8:04:30 PM

My thoughts on the 700W were that the design might be stressed a bit. I don't think it's ever been reviewed. The lower wattage green series units are all decent for sure, but it sometimes happens that a company will try to get as much mileage as they can from a particular design, and the highest rated unit comes up a little short.

For that reason I have never recommended the 700W version, but I don't KNOW anything.

A rig running GTX 460 SLI isn't likely to ever break 550W though. So the PSU is fine.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2011 8:21:39 PM

the rosewill will do the job (you won't break 550w stressed with that set up) but for basically the exact same price (rosewill is $69 out the door) you can get the corsair TX650 v2 ($85- $10 promo code = $75 w/ free shipping - $15MIR for $60 end of day). both PSU have the exact same amount of amps on their 12v rail (powers your CPU=GPU) but the rosewill is rated for 25c and the corsair for 50c. the corsair only use 2 PCI-E power connectors so you will need adapters that come with the cards.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2011 8:35:03 PM

Great point, but the OP already has the Rosewill I think. Obviously we would recommend a Seasonic made PSU over ATNG given the same price.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 5, 2011 8:41:12 PM

true, ignore my recommendation
m
l
October 5, 2011 8:41:37 PM

Thanks for the great responses so far, guys. Proximon is correct that I already have the Rosewill.

I had someone build my PC back in early 2010, and at the time was pretty much a newbie in terms of hardware. I didn't know anything about the power supply and therefore didn't question it when the tech decided to stick the Rosewill PSU in the system. So yeah, the primary question is whether it needs to be replaced, or if I should be okay as-is.

Glad to hear the consensus thus far is that I'll be fine. Unless someone has a differing opinion, I guess you can pretty much consider my question answered. :) 
m
l
October 12, 2011 1:28:24 PM

Best answer selected by dbl219.
m
l
!