Benq Joybook 3000 shuts down

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 29, 2005 5:05:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

I am trying to diagnose a problem with a BenQ Notebook that shuts down
several times a day (never when I get hold of it from the user).

Another person has the same make and model. She experienced this problem
while the Joybook was still under warranty. The local BenQ warranty
repairer also never saw the fault and ended up replacing virtually all
of the components to fix it.

I don't have that luxury with the current machine.
When I first got the Notebook into the workshop I found that there was a
heavy buildup of dust on the heatsink fins. I have made sure that the
heatsink is properly seated on the processor and run tests overnight.
Google shows a link to a page that describes exactly the same fault but,
frustratingly, I'm having trouble reaching the URL.
It seems that someone must have the answer as its not a unique fault.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 10:25:35 AM

Graeme wrote:
> I am trying to diagnose a problem with a BenQ Notebook that shuts down
> several times a day (never when I get hold of it from the user).
>
> Another person has the same make and model. She experienced this
> problem while the Joybook was still under warranty. The local BenQ
> warranty repairer also never saw the fault and ended up replacing
> virtually all of the components to fix it.
>
> I don't have that luxury with the current machine.
> When I first got the Notebook into the workshop I found that there
> was a heavy buildup of dust on the heatsink fins. I have made sure
> that the heatsink is properly seated on the processor and run tests
> overnight. Google shows a link to a page that describes exactly the
> same fault but, frustratingly, I'm having trouble reaching the URL.
> It seems that someone must have the answer as its not a unique fault.

Post the URL. I'll repeat the salient features here.

July 1, 2005 6:15:16 AM

Quaoar wrote:
> Graeme wrote:
>
>>I am trying to diagnose a problem with a BenQ Notebook that shuts down
>>several times a day (never when I get hold of it from the user).
>>
>>Another person has the same make and model. She experienced this
>>problem while the Joybook was still under warranty. The local BenQ
>>warranty repairer also never saw the fault and ended up replacing
>>virtually all of the components to fix it.
>>
>>I don't have that luxury with the current machine.
>>When I first got the Notebook into the workshop I found that there
>>was a heavy buildup of dust on the heatsink fins. I have made sure
>>that the heatsink is properly seated on the processor and run tests
>>overnight. Google shows a link to a page that describes exactly the
>>same fault but, frustratingly, I'm having trouble reaching the URL.
>>It seems that someone must have the answer as its not a unique fault.
>

> Post the URL. I'll repeat the salient features here.

I searched with Google once again and could not find the URL. Maybe it
was an old link in cache.
I'm thinking the next step is a BIOS upgrade and will be trying to find
the latest when I get some more time.
Any other suggestions are still very welcome!
Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 12:57:21 PM

Graeme wrote:
> Quaoar wrote:
>> Graeme wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to diagnose a problem with a BenQ Notebook that shuts
>>> down several times a day (never when I get hold of it from the
>>> user). Another person has the same make and model. She experienced
>>> this
>>> problem while the Joybook was still under warranty. The local BenQ
>>> warranty repairer also never saw the fault and ended up replacing
>>> virtually all of the components to fix it.
>>>
>>> I don't have that luxury with the current machine.
>>> When I first got the Notebook into the workshop I found that there
>>> was a heavy buildup of dust on the heatsink fins. I have made sure
>>> that the heatsink is properly seated on the processor and run tests
>>> overnight. Google shows a link to a page that describes exactly the
>>> same fault but, frustratingly, I'm having trouble reaching the URL.
>>> It seems that someone must have the answer as its not a unique
>>> fault.
>>

>> Post the URL. I'll repeat the salient features here.

> I searched with Google once again and could not find the URL. Maybe
> it was an old link in cache.
> I'm thinking the next step is a BIOS upgrade and will be trying to
> find the latest when I get some more time.
> Any other suggestions are still very welcome!
> Thanks

Random shutdowns are hardware related: overheat, RAM failure, HD
failure, mainboad failure. If using XP, access the Event View logs and
see what shows up there. In the Advanced System Properties tab, system
failure section, uncheck automatically restart on error and check write
an event to the system log. Copy down the error text on any BSD's you
see and check Event Viewer logs to find anything related (warnings and
errors).