Sign in with
Your question

Dead mobo or i3?

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2011 2:17:23 AM

I've just finished building a small system:

- Mobo: ASUS P8H61-I (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX

- CPU: Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W

- Memory: 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

- Case, PSU: IN WIN BP655.200BL Black Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case w/ 200W Power Supply

I put everything together, turned on the power... and NOTHING. Nothing at all. No video (using DVI cable), no beep, no nothing. The only sign of any life are the fans that start spinning and that's it.

I consider myself pretty experienced, I've assembled, disassembled, re-assembled quite a number of PCs, servers, and laptops. You would think I know what I'm doing. I've made sure the CPU is properly seated and all. Same for memory, cables, etc. The way I see it, it could be one of the following:

- Something really stupid (maybe by default video goes to VGA not DVI (I don't have a VGA cable at hand)).

- I've messed up something due to ignorance/stupidity. But what?

- The mobo is dead.

- The CPU is dead.

I don't have a spare motherboard or CPU at hand. So short of RMA-ing both, how do I go about ascertaining what's working and what isn't? What should be my next step? Any suggestions?

THANKS!

More about : dead mobo

July 9, 2011 2:43:46 AM

have you plugged in both the 4/8 pin mobo cables and the 12 pin ones (IDK what they are called) check that because it sounds to me like the computer hasn't got enough power
m
l
July 9, 2011 3:02:48 AM

Thanks wenqi!

I do have the 24-pin (20 + 4) power connector plugged in and the 4-pin ATX12V connector plugged in.

Do you suppose the 200W PSU is not enough to power this rig?
m
l
Related resources
July 9, 2011 5:58:02 AM

check the i/o pannel and power button wires, if you are getting no response, that would be the 2nd place i look.
m
l
July 9, 2011 6:08:59 AM

Make sure your Ramm is in the right spot I know some Intel chips require the Ramm to fill up different slots if you don't have those slots filled it wont boot
m
l
July 9, 2011 6:10:49 AM

The power button wires are OK, I think. I mean, when I press the power button the fans come to life (cpu fan and case fan, both connected to connectors on the mobo). So the button does something. So the button wiring must be good.

Now what about the i/o panel?
m
l
July 9, 2011 6:13:15 AM

illfindu, there are only 2 memory slots and I had memory in both. I've also tried removing the memory and powering up the rig to see what would happen. Made no difference. I was expecting to hear at least some beeping or something. But other than the fans, this thing is totally dead.
m
l
July 9, 2011 6:19:56 AM

I think the best advice you could get right now although its rehashed allot is recheck EVERY thing jumpers, power cables, Sata connections on the HDD , Ram being seated right, Monitor cables, rest the bios. I know its really basic stuff but just as a matter of experience if sat in front of many a system with just fans spinning to find i didn't push down a ram module as well as i thought i had. The only other thing I can think of is that you have to rember a 200watt psu doesn't doesn't put out a full 200watts if its a built in from a real knock off brand it might not be enough have you used a Power Calculator?
m
l
July 9, 2011 6:23:40 AM

also, if it made no difference with the ram out, check that the ram isn't bad (by sticking it into another compatible mobo is the only way i can think of)
m
l
July 9, 2011 6:23:48 AM

sounds like bad psu. when you power it on, the fans spins, and does the hard drive activity led come on as well? ive seen it in many HP computers where the psu dies but keep providing power to the system and in doing so frys the mobo.

i actually hope that im wrong here cuz that would really suck if this is the case. cuz you have nice parts.
m
l
July 9, 2011 6:41:16 AM

The HD LED does not come on. But the HD does make all the normal sounds a HD makes when powered up. Anyway, the first thing I did was disconnect the HD and DVD for the purpose of debugging this thing. Made no difference.

And, for what it's worth, I did measure 5V and 12V on the Molex connector.
m
l
July 9, 2011 6:55:42 AM

Quote:
I think the best advice you could get right now although its rehashed allot is recheck EVERY thing jumpers, power cables, Sata connections on the HDD , Ram being seated right, Monitor cables, rest the bios.

Yep, done all that before posting the question. ;) 

Quote:
The only other thing I can think of is that you have to rember a 200watt psu doesn't doesn't put out a full 200watts if its a built in from a real knock off brand it might not be enough have you used a Power Calculator?

I didn't pay much attention to power when I selected the components because this isn't a performance rig. It's not like I'll have 16 HDs and super duper graphics and what not in it. But now that you mentioned it, I did run a couple of power calculators. Looks like 200W should be enough. Not much to spare, but enough.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 9, 2011 10:20:48 AM

Yeah, but really you still don't want to roll with a $20 power supply, they ever go out, can take your system with it.
m
l
July 9, 2011 2:56:44 PM

try a real power supply...just because those pesky 200 watters are usually junk that come with desk top cases...
You can just sit the psu beside the case and plug in the connectors and see if it boots.
m
l
July 9, 2011 8:45:23 PM

Alright, that makes sense. I was a bit concerned about the quality of that power supply anyway. I'll get a better one. If that doesn't fix the problem, I guess I'll have to RMA the mobo, CPU, and memory.
m
l
July 15, 2011 4:20:19 AM

I've replaced the PSU and that didn't help. Then I replaced the mobo with a new one from Gigabyte, model H67N, and that fixed the problem nicely. :D 
m
l
!